Purchasing airfare for someone from overseas.

tgmtgm

This board is a plethora of information supplied by great people with lots of experience in flying the not so friendly skies of today's world. Thanks.

That being said, can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy a rt. ticket for someone who lives in the U.K.? A friend of mine is scheduled to go on a cruise with us out of FLL in October, and I have come across an excellent fare that is not available to the U.K. market. I would purchase the ticket and he would reimburse me. Is it plausable, or does it open up a can of worms?

Tony

That being said, can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy a rt. ticket for someone who lives in the U.K.? A friend of mine is scheduled to go on a cruise with us out of FLL in October, and I have come across an excellent fare that is not available to the U.K. market.
Normally, it's no problem, but it can depend. For which route is this? And where does the fare come from? Does it have a specific restriction that makes it available only to US or North American residents, or can you just buy it from an airline or other website that imposes no such restriction? If there isn't any such restriction, it should be OK.

In my experience, fares that are not theoretically available to the UK market but are available on airline websites are usually capable of being purchased directly from the UK anyway - I've bought a number of these myself for North American flights and many more for Australia and New Zealand flights.

I need to tap into this resource also - our World Cruise will be ending in Dover/London in May 2009 - tickets aren't available yet, but will it be a problem for me to purchase a one way Heathrow to LAX for DH and I??

We have never done the 'one way thing' before - usually book round trip but sometimes out of different cities.

Thanks

Hillslife:

It is not problem. I have frequently purchased one-way tickets from the U.S. or to the U.S. (or from X to Y, neither of which is the U.S.). I have purchased these here, there, and elsewhere. <grin>. This is a normal practice and is different from the original question.

general note: Some airlines have different pricing for domestic and foreign customers. So which DO have such policies enforce them and some do not. For example, Egypt Air has differential pricing but in my experience makes not the slightest attempt to enforce it.

I have purchased round-the-world tickets in Australia for travel beginning in the U.S. (because it was less expensive to do it this way). I have also been refused such a ticket. It just depends on ...... <fill in with your guess>

Paul

You can buy a one way ticket with Aer Lingus. Heathrow-Dublin. Dublin -LAX.

Or Heathrow -Shannon, Shannon -LAX.

You will go through US customs in Dublin and just walk out in LAX. Easy.

You can only buy a one way to USA if you are a citizen of US or have a permanent resendency card.

You can only buy a one way to USA if you are a citizen of US or have a permanent resendency card.

You can buy a one-way air ticket as long as you can provide other proof of leaving the US (such as a transatlantic cruise)

Thanks for all the tips - you can see from my signature we travel quiet alot....but haven't done this before. I will check online for one way fares when the date is 331 days out.

Appreciate all the CC help from these boards!

Archived