back up plan for juneau??

lilli

any suggestions for a back up plan in juneau in case our glacier landing/dogsled gets cancelled??

Is Mendenhall glacier easy to go to without a plan and I also read about glacier gardens??

thanks for any input!

First, decide, if offered, if you would consider a regular glacier helicopter landing.

Mendenhall is very easy to get to. Shuttle buses load right next to the tram, booths sell the tickets. IF you have a lot of time, you can take the city bus to Glacier Gardens, or a cab. Request their visitor guide for more ideas. http://www.traveljuneau.com The dock side visitor center, also will have free walking tour maps to follow.

First, decide, if offered, if you would consider a regular glacier helicopter landing.

Why consider this, do they only cancel the dog part of the tour ???

Last year the week we went, they canceled all except one of the glacier/dogsledding helicopter tours because of fog. The dog sled camp was at a much higher elevation and a fixed location, whereas the plain helicopter glacier landing we were told they can move the landing spot daily to accomodate the weather. Plus where the dogsledding area is, the ground is regular snow and NOT the blue ice. I am so glad we chose the helicopter landing because it was amazing.

Our backup plan was the Mt Roberts tram which is right in town and no reservations needed.

Last week we had the helicopter/dogsledding booked. The weather at the dogsled camp was too bad to land there. We were offered the same tour with another company that uses a different camp. We said yes and proceded to their office outside of town. When we arrived we were informed that their dogsled camp was also having bad weather. At that point we were offered the 4 glacier helicopter with glacier landing. We went and had a great time, it was the best tour of the trip. I was glad we got the tour we did. The price was adjusted automatically. I think that some of the people who tried to fly after us were cancelled alltogether due to bad weather.

You will want a plan A, B, and C. You will have to be flexible because the weather changes rapidly.

We were booked through NCL. The tour operators were very accommodating. I am not sure how helpful they are if you book independently.

Why consider this, do they only cancel the dog part of the tour ???

For clairification- the dog camps are located in a fixed camp, doesn't move. :) There are MANY other flightseeing glacier landing areas. It doesn't have to do with altitude, it has to do with what the weather is at that particular location at the time. With a glacier landing, there can be a range of locations that the pilots use.

Archived