2008 October Tandem round trip

No534

Hi there,

My partner and I are booked on the QM2 tandem both ways and looking forward to it! (Especially forward to packing as much as we need without baggage restrictions.......)

As this will be an historic event, I would be grateful if anyone could let me know what is planned for the departure of both vessels from NYC and who the guest speakers will be?

Hopefully, there will be plenty of other ocean liner enthusiasts on board so I won't stick out as normal! (I'm feeling an anorak moment coming on....)

Many thanks!

:D

My partner and I will be on the QE2 travelling alongside you two on the westbound portion of the tandem crossing. Strangely enough, no word has been mentioned of any special events on shore or on either ship from what I am aware of. I have heard of plans for the final round-UK journey but Cunard has been silent on the historic crossing.......and its only 5 months away. Consider me curious as well.

The only information I am aware of is that the QM2 is scheduled to dock at Brooklyn's Red Hook Terminal while in NYC and the QE2 is to be at the Manhattan docks on the Hudson.

David

P.S. Don't worry about sticking out....it'll be a geek-fest of ocean liner fanatics on both ships for 12 days!

We are booked on Cunard for the first time, on QM2 for the Oct 16th Eastbound TA, to celebrate my partner's special birthday. We only discovered after booking that this was to be a tandem crossing.

We are in a balcony cabin on the port side. Does anybody know on which side the QE2 will be?

Thanks,

Paul S

We are booked on Cunard for the first time, on QM2 for the Oct 16th Eastbound TA, to celebrate my partner's special birthday. We only discovered after booking that this was to be a tandem crossing.

We are in a balcony cabin on the port side. Does anybody know on which side the QE2 will be?

Thanks,

Paul S

Hi Paul,

The Ships change sides on a regular basis.

Gavin

My husband and I are booked on the QM2 for the October 10 westbound crossing. Like you, Gav Boy, we didn't discover this until after booking. What does this mean except for the joy of seeing the QE2 everyday sailing along side us? Any special fanfare?

No534, we have a roll call thread for this crossing at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=672612. Come join us on this thread and for a get together onboard.

Hi there,

My partner and I are booked on the QM2 tandem both ways and looking forward to it! (Especially forward to packing as much as we need without baggage restrictions.......)

As this will be an historic event, I would be grateful if anyone could let me know what is planned for the departure of both vessels from NYC and who the guest speakers will be?

Hopefully, there will be plenty of other ocean liner enthusiasts on board so I won't stick out as normal! (I'm feeling an anorak moment coming on....)

Many thanks!

:D

I think most of the liner lovers will be on QE2....

According to the Cunard website one of the lecturers on the westbound crossing is Theodore "Ted" Scull, a historian who has written a number of books on ocean liners - no details for the eastbound return crossing though.

My wife and I are crossing on the Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton on October 4, and returning on the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York on October 10.

We have been on the Queen Elizabeth 2 seven times and want to sail with her in tandem for her final crossing to the USA.

I have placed a message in the Roll Call link that was provided in a previous message on this thread.

Terrence

Robin and I are booked onto this tandem voyage, we are both on the Beautiful QM2 so will have the advantage of seeing the QE2 all the time and taking many photos, we booked this trip way before the tandem was announced so luck was with us, cant wait now till october, I sure there will be many celebrations both ends.

534 cant wait to meet you and chat about the wonderful, beautiful Qyeen Mary to me the best ship in the world, we stayed on twice and enjoyed a wonderful time on board, will you be bring any photos with you, I know I would love to share you memories of her, she is most likey what started us on cruising with Cunard

rob

I think most of the liner lovers will be on QE2....

Not all of them Bob....some of us will be doing the eastbound on QM2 and be enjoying the view. My old liner days go back to the old Swedish Lines Gripsholm and the wonderful oldies of Norwegian Americ Line...I've been a liner lover a long time and look forward to this historic crossing on my wonderful QM2. Addiction is a wonderful thing, no?

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

534 cant wait to meet you and chat about the wonderful, beautiful Qyeen Mary to me the best ship in the world, we stayed on twice and enjoyed a wonderful time on board, will you be bring any photos with you, I know I would love to share you memories of her, she is most likey what started us on cruising with Cunard

rob

Hi Rob

Unfortunately, we won't be on this wonderful voyage, how I wish we were. I do hope we meet up one day. Talking with another Mary lover is one of my favorite things to do. I even bored poor Captain Rynd with my ramblings of Mary and of course being a gentleman he allowed me to ramble on :p If you guys ever make it out this way again to visit Mary please let us know it would be great fun to meet aboard her. I do agree, to me she is also the best ship in the world. Mary is the reason we sailed aboard the QM2 and of course now we are hooked on her :rolleyes:

Betsy

Not all of them Bob....some of us will be doing the eastbound on QM2 and be enjoying the view. My old liner days go back to the old Swedish Lines Gripsholm and the wonderful oldies of Norwegian Americ Line...I've been a liner lover a long time and look forward to this historic crossing on my wonderful QM2. Addiction is a wonderful thing, no?

Cheers, Penny

Penny, I followed the link to your affair to remember- what a wonderful review. Thanks for posting it. Looking forward to meeting you on QM2 in October. It will be my first time on QM2.

HELLO ROB, ROBIN, AND PENNY !

I am also placing messages in the Roll Calls for the October 4, and October 10, crossings on the Queen Mary 2.

Penny, sorry Loretta and I will not be with you for your October 16, crossing with Rob and Robin. Please know they will be in good hands as we cross with them on the 10th from Southampton and will deliver them to you in good spirits.

Terrence

HELLO ROB, ROBIN, AND PENNY !

I am also placing messages in the Roll Calls for the October 4, and October 10, crossings on the Queen Mary 2.

Penny, sorry Loretta and I will not be with you for your October 16, crossing with Rob and Robin. Please know they will be in good hands as we cross with them on the 10th from Southampton and will deliver them to you in good spirits.

Terrence

Hey there...Rob told me you were sailing together on the westbound...should you feel compelled to toss Rob over don't give it a thought. Robin and I will have a great time eastbound. ;) :rolleyes:

Hope you both have as great a time as we all did last November. This will be a special trip for sure and I can't wait. Rob can tell you when he ssees you why this is such a special trip for me and why I am doing it alone...with my 2 chaperones of course!!:rolleyes:

Cheers, penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Penny, I followed the link to your affair to remember- what a wonderful review. Thanks for posting it. Looking forward to meeting you on QM2 in October. It will be my first time on QM2.

Why thank you Lauraam....I'm so pleased you enjoyed my "Affair"...so did I. Each one better than the last if the truth be told, so I just keep booking them so the "affair" never ends.;)

What a treat you have ahead of you and what a great trip to make for your first on QM2. She's wonderful!! I'll look forward to meeting you as well and will hope that you find your own "Affair" on her as well.

Cheers, Penny

My husband and I have always wanted to try a transatlantic crossing. The tandem crossing will make it even more special. And, ailing with CruiseCritic friends makes any cruise speical. We can't wait to meet you all too on the first day at sea.

Penny, what is it about QM2 that you love so much?

Hey there...Rob told me you were sailing together on the westbound...should you feel compelled to toss Rob over don't give it a thought. Robin and I will have a great time eastbound. ;) :rolleyes:

Hope you both have as great a time as we all did last November. This will be a special trip for sure and I can't wait. Rob can tell you when he ssees you why this is such a special trip for me and why I am doing it alone...with my 2 chaperones of course!!:rolleyes:

Cheers, penny

Penny, Now if Terry throw me overboard you would miss me, anyway they are both far too nice to such a thing, just because you want to wear that black veil for a day or two, being overboard wont count for that anyway.

BTW wales, scotland and passport come to mind here?????? need I say more????

My husband and I have always wanted to try a transatlantic crossing. The tandem crossing will make it even more special. And, ailing with CruiseCritic friends makes any cruise speical. We can't wait to meet you all too on the first day at sea.

Im sure that Penny will say to you, once you have had just one voyage on the QM2 you will know why, we all do dont we, she weaves a spell on you, the ship that is not Penny, you fall in love with her and there is no going back, and the TA is the ultimate journey.

rob

Hi Rob

Unfortunately, we won't be on this wonderful voyage, how I wish we were. I do hope we meet up one day. Talking with another Mary lover is one of my favorite things to do. I even bored poor Captain Rynd with my ramblings of Mary and of course being a gentleman he allowed me to ramble on :p If you guys ever make it out this way again to visit Mary please let us know it would be great fun to meet aboard her. I do agree, to me she is also the best ship in the world. Mary is the reason we sailed aboard the QM2 and of course now we are hooked on her :rolleyes:

Betsy

Hi Betsy,

Im sure will get to the Queen Mary again soon and will stay on board again, and it would great to meet up with you , I got you mixed up with NO 534 so I sorry there, NO 534 it will great to meet you and your partner on the QM2, im looking into what celebrations there might be in southampton, no one it seems will say a thing, so maybe we take our own fireworks just in case lol, im sure there will be lots going though.

take cate 534 and no 534 lol

rob

Wow Marcy...now there's a question. I guess my quick answer would be to see my review link in my signature. That pretty much says it all. The short answer is what Rob said...she weaves a spell that won't let go and before long you realize you are obsessed with everything about her. And the Commodore Club....what ambiance.......the place just mesmerizes you day and night. In the still late at night you can walk the corridors and feel her history enfold you. OK, I confess...I am truly hooked for all time.

I hope you too will find that essence on your first transatlantic on her. Look forward to meeting you as well.

Cheers, Penny

Penny, Now if Terry throw me overboard you would miss me, anyway they are both far too nice to such a thing, just because you want to wear that black veil for a day or two, being overboard wont count for that anyway.

BTW wales, scotland and passport come to mind here?????? need I say more????

OK Rob...that's it...I"ve pressed the black veil...doesn't matter which way you go into the water, a veil is appropriate mourning. :p

Cheers, Penny

Archived