2008 October Tandem round trip

No534

She's only five years old!

Don't be so cynical. Some people have found the history of Cunard and some have come from backgrounds where travelling transatlantic meant something from back in their childhoods..........Sure the QM2 itself might not be historical but one doesn't have to look far in finding the history behind why this ship even exists at all. Travelling the QE2 on the tandem crossing but also glad we get to share this moment with the QM2 which will carry the torch for many years to come.......

David

Don't be so cynical. Some people have found the history of Cunard and some have come from backgrounds where travelling transatlantic meant something from back in their childhoods..........Sure the QM2 itself might not be historical but one doesn't have to look far in finding the history behind why this ship even exists at all. Travelling the QE2 on the tandem crossing but also glad we get to share this moment with the QM2 which will carry the torch for many years to come.......

David

Well put David....and it's that very history of Cunard that I refer to, not the age of QM2 herself. I believe most of us know when she was built. She's a Cunarder and her lineage is evident if you make the effort to see it. It's in the subtle nuances of bygone ships you will see all around you...if you know what to look for. A hint of this old ship, a glimpse of that one...they are there when you look and "feel" them. And that is the "history" I find so appealing.

I'm so glad you're on the QE2 for this David....I know how you feel about them both.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Well put David....and it's that very history of Cunard that I refer to, not the age of QM2 herself. I believe most of us know when she was built. She's a Cunarder and her lineage is evident if you make the effort to see it. It's in the subtle nuances of bygone ships you will see all around you...if you know what to look for. A hint of this old ship, a glimpse of that one...they are there when you look and "feel" them. And that is the "history" I find so appealing.

I'm so glad you're on the QE2 for this David....I know how you feel about them both.

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Ok, I just this and thought, History , 5 years old , you know when your on the QM2 and I agree she is a new ship almost 5 and if you stop and touch panels , posts, walls you know she is new and for want of a better word "plastic".

BUT, BUT, BUT.

The ship is stunning, beautiful , she brings home all that is Cunard, all that is the QE2, the Queen Mary, I stayed twice on the the old ship and QM2 reminds me so much of her. in the resturaant, the ballroom, the decks, the teak board deck and you wander around, the photos and museum on board reminds you a time gone by, the passengers all dreesed for dinner, OK I can go and on trust me, but I can see what Penny is saying here, you feel that history, the past, and you really feel this on a TA.

So David when Penny says history, that to me , is what she means, it does to me.

You may as well say how does a person love a ship, metal, wood, etc, but wow do you, do I, I am so in love with the QM2 from the 1st TA, I have booked a few other cruises, but most of this year and 2009 im with Cunard Im with QM2, she can take me anywhere she wants to go.

rob

OK Rob...that's it...I"ve pressed the black veil...doesn't matter which way you go into the water, a veil is appropriate mourning. :p

Cheers, Penny

Pressed it, wiith what, is this the black, red or salome veil, im lost, I know I always have been lost LOL.

So press your veill, come on board and mourn my passing,though im sure Terry and loretta wont for one moment think of "tossing me overboard" beware I dont come and haunt the commodore club and you, oh yes Penny I know where to find you in the evening, I will be there, do these people on here know of the existance of the "BLACK CHRYSANTHEMUM" do they, will they , will the BC become a Cunard legend??????.

Having not logged on for some time, I am thrilled to see that there is some enthusiasm building up for the historic October 'final' crossing.

For those who have not been on a tandem crossing before, Sue and I were on the QV tandem in January and found the sight of the QE2 travelling alongside beautiful and hypnotic. Being transatlantic addicts, doing the crossing is thrilling enough, but seeing the QE2 alongside is amazing - especially at night. The captains swap sides on a daily basis, and, when the weather is calmer, steam extremely close!

Photos taken from the QE2 were available on the QV on the last trip (and, presumably, vice versa) so I imagine the same will apply this trip.

I do hope that Cunard arrange something for the QE2 departure from New York. The city certainly hung out the flags for the QM2 maiden arrival, and, as we had to disembark and so missed the Three Queens fireworks in January, we are keeping our fingers crossed for a grand October finale!

Looking forward to meeting as many as possible on board.

Gwentman

Why thank you Lauraam....I'm so pleased you enjoyed my "Affair"...so did I. Each one better than the last if the truth be told, so I just keep booking them so the "affair" never ends.;)

What a treat you have ahead of you and what a great trip to make for your first on QM2. She's wonderful!! I'll look forward to meeting you as well and will hope that you find your own "Affair" on her as well.

Cheers, Penny

Thanks Penny- as I am travelling alone an affair would be nice ;)

I am leaving my teaching post in July after 30 years, going on semi-retirement doing sub teaching instead which means I will be able to travel when I want to not confined to school vacations. Will need to do a lot of sub teaching to pay for my cruises LOL

Thanks Penny- as I am travelling alone an affair would be nice ;)

I am leaving my teaching post in July after 30 years, going on semi-retirement doing sub teaching instead which means I will be able to travel when I want to not confined to school vacations. Will need to do a lot of sub teaching to pay for my cruises LOL

Hi lauraam.

Cant wait until our back to back, we are so excited, but then we have July 12th cruise for 2 weeks in july on RCCL as well, ours is just before yours, so will let you know all about it

Hi lauraam.

Cant wait until our back to back, we are so excited, but then we have July 12th cruise for 2 weeks in july on RCCL as well, ours is just before yours, so will let you know all about it

You'll have to let me know in Southampton as we board the day you leave. Is the weather as bad in Yeovil as it is here across the Bristol Channel- blowing a gale and heavy showers? I ventured outside with the dogs this morning dressed in my winter coat again. Tried to plant some flowers later but only planted one before the rain came again. So enjoying rubbish on tv and reading cruise critic.

Hi lauraam.

Rob, I hope you enjoy the Independence - I was on her as a guest for a 2 night party cruise up the Channel & thought I would hate her. Once on board the product is nowhere near as brash as the marketing and the ship has some great features and very consistent friendly service. Not to be missed are the ice shows (5 couples give an excellent show on a 1/4 sized rink), Johnny Rockets (great burgers/service - malted milkshakes are a must), the Viking Crown Lounge is a quiet, restrained place to enjoy a drink & the cantilevered jacuzzis on deck 11 are quite an experience - you can lean over the edge and look directly down to the sea through the glass - wierd!! Up until Independence O/S the largest ships I had sailed on were Century & Regatta, so I was apprehensive, but will happily go back to RCI for a short cruise.

I'm really looking forward to the QM2 and crossing the pond on a liner rather than a cruise ship, but do have a quick question (or two!) for tandem veterans......

Do we have to disembark in NYC? If so, how long do we get ashore? What excursions are available (we have done Manhattan several times)? Do you have to check in again and how long before sailing can you embark (we don't want to miss any of the departure celebrations!)?

Thanks in advance!

You'll have to let me know in Southampton as we board the day you leave. Is the weather as bad in Yeovil as it is here across the Bristol Channel- blowing a gale and heavy showers? I ventured outside with the dogs this morning dressed in my winter coat again. Tried to plant some flowers later but only planted one before the rain came again. So enjoying rubbish on tv and reading cruise critic.

I may be able to add to this forum, I will if I can.

Weather is bad today, not been out yet, it rain hard all night, got worse this morning , BUT is ok now so off to the gym to lose a lb or so in readiness for the 12th, 47 days to go whoooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Not planting flowers this year, time we them in, we will be away LOL. hope you a wonderful time, I just did the on line checkin so thats it

Hey there...Rob told me you were sailing together on the westbound...should you feel compelled to toss Rob over don't give it a thought. Robin and I will have a great time eastbound. ;) :rolleyes:

Cheers, penny

Hi, Penny,

Well, well, I've been thinking about what is going on here. After much thought and consideration here is what I think may be happening.

First things first, I do not think I have the physical strength to throw a mature man overboard, especially Rob. But then I thought, I would never do such a thing, especially to my dear Cunard friend, Rob.

Second, then I thought....... why would Penny think of such a task for me to do? Could it be there is something here we do not see ....... get rid of Rob in order to cross alone with Robin and have the famous "affair" continue!

Conclusion: Rob, do not worry, you will enjoy your westbound crossing with Loretta and me. Penny, put away the black veil! Robin, just be on guard when you cross eastbound with Penny on board.

Meanwhile ......... it is so nice to say hi to all of you again and be able to continue with our sick humor on these boards. After all, who said that Cunard cruisers were stuffy and boring? Not me!

Terrence

Thank you terry, your really very kind, im pleased you throw me overboard, not sure about the word especially rob, but still, Penny just loves to wear black, chiffon and veils, she needs to mourn and I know im one , I have to take a lot of care when she is around, I almost went last year on the carribean cruise, we on the top dancing, close to the edge I was, and off she went, phew close, I was almosy over then, she said she was doing the YMCA but im not sure.

She is now on the that 16th October crossing and maybe incognito as the "the black chrysantemum" one of her evil twin, if you can more than one evil twin, we even saw evidance on the QV in a few weeks back a Cunard picture on the wall of what they thought was Penny as the "black chrysanthemum" im sure that Robin is safe enough, its me she is after,I just hope I have the energy to dodge her, I will know by what she is wearing though, the black chiffon or the red and Im off.I willpost this photo id on the ship for people to know who to look out for

download?fid=Inbox&mid=1_59382_AHC8ktkAARO7SDs%2BOAPruxCI0nM&pid=2&tnef=&YY=1211842173421&newid=1&clean=0&inline=1

We are booked on Cunard for the first time, on QM2 for the Oct 16th Eastbound TA, to celebrate my partner's special birthday. We only discovered after booking that this was to be a tandem crossing.

We are in a balcony cabin on the port side. Does anybody know on which side the QE2 will be?

Thanks,

Paul S

Usually they alternate every day at sea, so you should have the opportunity to see the ship from your own balcony on some day.

Usually they alternate every day at sea, so you should have the opportunity to see the ship from your own balcony on some day.

They will doing just that, Cunard said this, She will also sail ahead and behind, all angles covered, have a great time, dont forget to join in on the roll call

Oh your right there Terry, be sure I will be on the lookout for anyone in black and veils, and if anyone starts a salome dance thats it im off to my cabin for the rest of the crossing, I may venture out late at night for a nibble in the buffet.

rob

Rob, a slip of the typing finger has nothing to do with the mind. I know you would never expect me to do Penny's deeds for her. How could I? But, I think you should be on guard for a woman in a black veil on your return to Southampton.

Terrence

Ah ha.....he's going to have to be on the lookout well before Southampton!!;)

Cheers, Penny

oh yes Penny I know where to find you in the evening, I will be there, do these people on here know of the existance of the "BLACK CHRYSANTHEMUM" do they, will they , will the BC become a Cunard legend??????.

Only if she leaves MORE clawmarks in the CC....;)

And, telling tales again out of school are we Rob??? Shhhhh.....:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Hi there!

My apologies for not responding to all your kind comments and responses. I can't wait for October now..... We're both looking forward to the trip and the experience.

Lets hope for some interesting weather.....

It's not often you get the chance to see the last Clyde-built in her element. (fiftydollar, take note.....!)

Just one thing, how will we know who everyone is? :)

Cheers,

Iain.

Ah ha.....he's going to have to be on the lookout well before Southampton!!;)

Cheers, Penny

Yes I am aware now and looking over my shoulder all the time, im thinking of buying a harness like people wear that climb buildings, I know I will be ok then, My only hope is that Penny will me a lot if I went overboard, I mean mourning is short lived.

Archived