Royal carribean as opposed to Celebrity

oysterfiend

Looking at 2 cruises possibly for end April 2010

Considering we have to fly from Auckland that is a consideration

We have taken a fancy to

1. 10 night cruise on Rhapsody of the seas RCL 27 April 2010 from Honolulu to Vancouver 5 nights in port Hawaii and 5 nights starit cruising

(good for tired husband) Oceanview cabin good price and per day works out cheaper than other choice.

It is an older ship- is it still in good shape?

2 . Celebrity Infinity - sailing from Fort Lauderdale -Panama - San Francisco - 15 nights 25 April 2010

very expensive to fly from Auckland 1 way-several flights

Works out more expensive per day

Stops at Montego Bay - Jamaica, Colombia , Costa rica and 3 ports in Mexico.

Infinity is a newer ship.

How do the cruise lines stack up against each other,

As been to the staes and Mexico only once(Yucatan) and never to Hawaii both are appealing.

we are doing 3 cruises next year- Mexican Riviera, Baja and Los Angeles to Vancouver- but only staying Vancouver 1 night if that

So either would be great - but costs have to be considered.

Opinions on Hawaii and the Panama cruise would be appreciated

we like to go on holiday after Easter as our Business starts to ease off.

We own a small accommodation business and must get someone to run it .

Much easier when we are quieter.

I can only tell you I just did Infinity and it was great. I got on in San Fran right after the ship completed the trip you mentioned. I had friends on from Ft. Lauderdale and they loved it. Infinity is a great ship.

I am not a heavy sea day person and would consider that with the 1st cruise.

We wouldn't be able to afford a balcony cabin-

what sort of cabin did you have and how was it?

I have 3 cruises booked - although as yet we have never cruised

Pacific Dawn from Sydney August 10 2008 - to Noumea and Vanuatu -back 9 nights - balcony

Carnival Splendor april 26-3 May 2009 GTY Balcony

Baja 4 nights Paradise Oceanview May 4-May 8 2009 GTY

Sapphire Princess 9 May -16 May 2009 Balcony L251 Los Angeles to Vancouver

How would we cope with an inside cabin?

I am scared we won't wake up if we took one and would miss things

We wouldn't be able to afford a balcony cabin-

what sort of cabin did you have and how was it?

I have 3 cruises booked - although as yet we have never cruised

Pacific Dawn from Sydney August 10 2008 - to Noumea and Vanuatu -back 9 nights - balcony

Carnival Splendor april 26-3 May 2009 GTY Balcony

Baja 4 nights Paradise Oceanview May 4-May 8 2009 GTY

Sapphire Princess 9 May -16 May 2009 Balcony L251 Los Angeles to Vancouver

How would we cope with an inside cabin?

I am scared we won't wake up if we took one and would miss things

Subscribe to travelzoo.com and they will send you e mails about the top 20 deals of the week. I often see bargains cross country. We went to Alaska and had an aft balcony on the back of the ship and it was awesome.

I would do Hawaii over the Panama Canal because I'd rather see Hawaii. I don't think the ship is as important in this case as the itinerary or the cost for these two cruises; they are very different.

Well the Hawaii is more affordable because

1 cheaper to fly to and stay couple of nights

and the 5 nights cruising between Hawaii and Vancouver will give my husband a chance for a rest

2 when we get to Vancouver we can go on and get a timeshare week or exchange somewhere.

The main difference I noticed is that Royal Caribbean tends to be more "active." I.e. there are more adventurous activities available such as rock climbing, ice skating, mini golfing etc. There is more to do for younger people. People tend to stay up later and party a bit more. Celebrity is a bit more sophisticated and is more of a laid back, relaxing type experience (although there is still a lot to do if you want to keep busy). I also found Celebrity to be slightly more upscale (i.e. more attentive staff, better quality food, etc.).

As for concern about waking up in an inside stateroom, you can always schedule a wake up call or bring a small alarm clock with you.

We usually do Celebrity, but wanted to cruise the caribbean this year and there were no Celebrity ships sailing there in May, so we did RCCL instead. All in all, we prefer X. The service is better (more crew/passenger) and the food is a little better. It was the little things we noticed that made the difference--no trays in the windjammer buffet, no robes (had to ask for them). The guest service people were clueless.

If all things were even, I would go with X.

However, we are going to sail the Adventure of the Seas again. It was a beautiful ship, the crowd is a little younger, and the itinerary works for us.

Happy Sailing!

Oysterfiend, come join us for that April 25, 2010, Infinity cruise. I haven't sailed with RCCL but I have been on the Infinity before and she's a beautiful ship! We already have a roll call going for our Panama Canal cruise. There's only a few of us, so far, but we would love to have you come with us!

Can't comment on the itineraries..... but as a "die-hard" Royal Caribbean cruiser I find myself looking very hard at a Celebrity cruise for our next one.

Europe is firmly in our sights right now after a wonderful 9 nighter last Nov. Would definately cruise RCI again however have found out they are not including Istanbul on any of their 2009 cruises. I really want to include this port on our next cruise so I may have to "jump ship" :(

that said..... we are early 50's, very active couple (boating, fishing, scuba, skiing, hiking etc) and have found RCI to be a good fit for us. Not too party and not too stuffy. Plenty to do if the desire is there.....and plenty of places to just chill if that is the plan for the day. Not to mention the price factor..... ah yes the REAL decision maker. Since the ship for us is secondary to the ports of call and excursions we have a hard time paying that little "extra" for a robe. We have found the food to be very good altho not gourmet, we don't really expect this for what amounts to less than $100.00 per day for our cruise. Believe me when I say I have stayed in many 5 star resorts and enjoy the service and food....but my room doesnt normally take me to numerous locations at the same time.

I personally would pick the Hawaii cruise and since it is cheaper - upgrade to at least an Oceanview cabin. Rhapsody was our first cruise and while she is a little smaller and older....still a wonderful cruise experience. We were sorry to see her leave Galveston !

at this stage I am in a total quandry,

Just found our TA offering a Princesss 14 nighter - Golden Princess and we can get Balcony Cabin at about $30 each per day more than a Balcony on Rhapsody of the Seas. LOS Angeles - Hawaii- Los Angeles -again alot of time at sea

Good for tired hubby

Is Golden princess a nice ship,

The Golden Princess and the Celebrity are now running in close contention with each other- Flying itno L.A and Out return will be alot cheaper than 1 way flights that work out more expensive

Especially with Celebrity disembarking at San Francisco,

DECISIONS DECISIONS

I'll have to think on but I suppose it will come down to dollars,

Would it matter too much if we did the Panama on Infinity if we had and Oceanview cabin or even an inside cabin?

Like to hear from those who have done balconies then opted for cheaper cabins - due to budget contraints

if we won the lottery life would be great but then I'm too mean to buy a ticket!!

Looking at 2 cruises possibly for end April 2010

Considering we have to fly from Auckland that is a consideration

We have taken a fancy to

1. 10 night cruise on Rhapsody of the seas RCL 27 April 2010 from Honolulu to Vancouver 5 nights in port Hawaii and 5 nights starit cruising

(good for tired husband) Oceanview cabin good price and per day works out cheaper than other choice.

It is an older ship- is it still in good shape?

2 . Celebrity Infinity - sailing from Fort Lauderdale -Panama - San Francisco - 15 nights 25 April 2010

very expensive to fly from Auckland 1 way-several flights

Works out more expensive per day

Stops at Montego Bay - Jamaica, Colombia , Costa Rica and 3 ports in Mexico.

Infinity is a newer ship.

How do the cruise lines stack up against each other,

As been to the States and Mexico only once(Yucatan) and never to Hawaii both are appealing.

we are doing 3 cruises next year- Mexican Riviera, Baja and Los Angeles to Vancouver- but only staying Vancouver 1 night if that

So either would be great - but costs have to be considered.

Opinions on Hawaii and the Panama cruise would be appreciated

we like to go on holiday after Easter as our Business starts to ease off.

We own a small accommodation business and must get someone to run it .

Much easier when we are quieter.

Everyone has their own experiences and there own opinions. You need to make your decision, but I will give you our only experience on RCCL. We have sailed Celebrity many, many times and our ONLY complaint is the folks that cannot follow the dress code and the idiots that wear their bathrooms out of their staterooms - duh!

We had really looked forward to our RCCL, 7 night, Eastern Caribbean Cruise last November. We always have a table for 2 for our dining choice. They would not reserve one for us before the cruise and told us I had to go to the maitre'd' once aboard. As soon as we boarded and we read what time the maitre'd would be available I put it in my schedule to go the dining room. I arrived about 20 minutes early, so I was first in line. When someone finally came they played with the computer for about 20 minutes and would not talk to any of us. I talked with the others in line and there were passengers there with really messed up table assignments. LONG story short, their computer would not work, they rudely told us, to come back at 5:30 - NOT one, we are sorry!. I came back at 5:30 to a huge crowd! Their computer still did not work, every staff member there was rude! The hotel manager was the RUDEST I have ever dealt with! When they finally got to me and I said I needed a table for 2 they laughed in my face and told me I was lucky I had a table.

LUCKY I HAD A TABLE? EXCUSE ME! THEY HAD NO TROUBLE TAKING MY MONEY TO BE ON THEIR CRUISE SHIP!

I told them that "We do not eat with strangers when we are at home, we do not eat with strangers when we are in a 5 star restaurant, we do not even eat with strangers if we go to McDonald's and we DID NOT come on their ship to eat with strangers". They told me "you will tonight". We went back again at 8:00 for our assigned time and still could not get a table for 2. We ate in our room for the next 3 nights. On the 4th day I was talking to someone in the Purser's Officer, they had an Asst. Matre'd call me, she said to come to dinner that night and she would have a table for us. She did, she had an additional 2 top set up for us in the dining room. It was very nice and we ate there the remainder of the week. We thanked her, but it did not make up for the way we were treated or the aggravation. It ruined the majority of the cruise for us, we talked to many people that did not get to sit at dinner with their family either. It was a mess. The fellow passengers, for the most part, were loud, mostly crude and for the largely did not speak English.

I will not apologies for being an American and I believe that American's should speak English if you live in America.

When our children lived in Italy, they and their children spoke Italian, believe me the Italian did not put of signs in English to "help" them along.

When they lived in Japan, they AND their children they spoke Japanese, including my 4 year old granddaughter. She went to a Japanese school, 5 days a week and the only concession they made for her was that she got to use the 'western toilet' instead of the 'eastern toilet'. No one in her school spoke English, she learned Japanese or she got left out!

Guess what it worked - maybe America should try that.

Sorry - I sort of got off topic there.

Now for the rest of the RCCL cruise, our stateroom was nice, and we never saw our stateroom attendant but our room was well taken care of. The food was not nearly as good as Celebrity and a very poor wine list. Entertainment was the usual some quite good and some terrible. We will not take the change with our money again with RCCL.

As I said, this was our experience, but there were a LOT of people that had their dining experience majority messed up and we all agreed that we were treated horribly!

Hey thanks for your comments,

Have almost decided not to do 10 night Hawaiian cruise from Honolulu, (not sure)

Princess has a 14 nighter from L.A much same time,

I think cabins will be bigger -though not sure,

Now its a choice between

Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal 25 April 2010 15 nighter,

Island Princess - Panama Canal 29 April 2010 14 nighter

Golden Princess - Los Angeles-Hawaii -Los Angeles 14 nighter

And 10 night Hawaii -Vancouver from Honolulu

i'll go back to TA and get costings for all cruises Oceanview and Balcony -flights and per night basis

and then let the 'OLD BOY'

choose.

maybe thats best-

And if he chooses and I feel disappointed then I'll Know what I really want to do.

Hi Forensic,

We recently returned from an RCI ship, although a different one than you were on. Your comments sound like we were on the same ship! Poor service, rude staff, poor food. Our stateroom was beautiful and we had a wonderful and efficient stateroom attendant.

Our next cruise is back with X and we won't be returning to RCI. It is a shame because the ships are beautiful but we just can't handle the "attitude" and the quality problems we found on RCI.

Sandy

Interesting posts.

I was on the Galaxy some years ago. We had requested late seating but were given early. We hied down to the maitre'd station in the dining room and got at the end of the line of 200 who were requesting a change. After waiting for 40 minutes and dozens of people in front of us who were having heated discussions with the personnel, we gave up, went back to our cabin, lived with early seating, enjoyed our cruise and went home satisfied.

But then, we were not looking for an excuse to hate the line, as the posters above obviously were.

Stuff happens on any cruise line and the experience of the above poisters is not typical for an RCI cruise. Experienced travellers roll with the punches.

JMHO

Our last X cruise was the Connie, right before the three RCI cruises in our sig. and we will be adding one of the Solstice ships after the Indy TA. We would have used an X TA but the Indy fit our scheduling better and we like SXM.

Forensic

Get a Life...no one guarantees you a table for 2 and if you get one be thankful. If you are equivalent of an Elite Member you may get preference in dining arrangements but again no guarantees. You should really reconsider your strict rule of not dinning with strangers for that is part of the fun in cruising especially if the option is to dine in your cabin.

I'm an absolute RCL fan (newly won over to Celebrity as well) and given the choice, I would go for the Celebrity trip. The ship is nicer than Rhapsody, which is after all, an older RCL ship. That said, we have not found the disparity between the experiences that folks tend to post about here.

Hi Big Booper,

Further to our posts above, I should let you know that we are not new to cruising and went into the RCI cruise with a lot of enthusiasm and are RCI shareholders.

You might be interested why our cruise was not up to our expectations?

RCI canceled two of our ports but waited to inform customers until after the final payment date. According to an RCI staff member, the decision was made in September but we found out (through these boards) only in February. A lot of people were very disappointed and even the travel agents were not given timely notice. There was no compensation.

We had early on arranged a dining table of eight from the CC boards but none of us were seated together. We waited in line along with many others to have dining arrangements corrected. The staffer asked us to stand behind a podium that was not staffed! After waiting over half an hour, we insisted that someone attend to people waiting. The woman "organizing" the people who were waiting shouted at people and pushed me! When we insisted again that they honour our dining reservations, the two staff members looked at each other and laughed. We finally got a table for 12 in a corner of the back room by the door.

The waiter was very nice but was new and inexperienced. Her assistant actually poured our wine for a lady sitting next to my husband without asking. When this was pointed out to him, he suddenly could not speak English! The rare steaks arrived well done on two separate evenings. The assistant Maitre'd became argumentative and told us that we should have asked for black and blue steaks - we didn't want B&B but we did want rare steaks.

The toiletries in our stateroom consisted of shampoo and bar soap. Both were cheap Chinese products.

There were no hand sanitizers around the restaurants and when we questioned this at the front desk, we were told that they did not have enough to go around so they put out none.

We asked for Splenda in the dining room and were told that they don't put it out because it costs more than Sugar Twin and people use it.

A cheese tray was presented with cello wrapped Saltines and when we asked for different crackers, we were told that there were no others.

A Russian egg with caviar was served with 4 fish egg. Similarly, a cheesecake with blueberries had only 3 blueberries.

Several passengers complained about smoke in the corridors but to give credit, after our complaints the smoke was gone.

On a positive side, the ship was beautiful and very clean. Our aft tateroom was the best we have ever had and our stateroom attendant was wonderful.

We will hold onto our RCI stock as the benefits are also applicable to X and Azamara. Our next cruise, on X, is a back to back from Hawaii to Australia. The following cruises will also likely be on X or Oceania.

I hope you have had better RCI experiences than we did.:)

Sandy

Archived