Put my mind at ease, please!!

oldtownjns

Hello, everyone. We are leaving on the Dawn on June 1 (my husband 42, daughter almost 5 and myself 43). We are booked in an AB cabin. We've cruised twice before (both times before DD), both times on Celebrity (Summit and Mercury), both times in suites. We were quite impressed with the overall product on Celebrity but the Dawn met on needs this time as we both love Bermuda, and we can drive to NYC (we live in northern VA-Alexandria).

I've been reading a lot of negative comments about food on the Dawn and I'm a little nervous as we love finer dining. Don't get me wrong, I love a good burger, but I hate to think each night will be a disappointment. We will try the tex-mex and Italian but won't take our DD into Cagneys or the french restaurant as we don't find that appropriate for the other diners. My daughter is really well behaved but still, I don't think those establishments were meant for children.

I agree with a lot of you that a vacation is what you make of it and all vacations (in theory) should be great if you stay openminded.

Please put my mind at ease!! Thank you!!

Don't worry at all! I've been on the Dawn and Jewel and also on 6 Carnival lines. The first time I went on the Dawn I did not take advantage of all the specialty restaurants. I think we only went to one - we couldn't pay extra at that time to eat in those everynight. With that being said I thought the food in the main dining room was fantastic. I only remember the last night of the cruise the food not being that great, boiled plain chicken. When we went on the Jewel last time we decided to try the restaurants. You can book an early bird time and pay half price for the restaurants (you may want to try that since there isn't a lot of people at that time) and the food was fantastic. Either way we loved the food and if there is a dish you try and don't like just change your mind and get something else. We are also going on this cruise with you, June 1st out of NY. Keep an open mind, enjoy everyday (since it goes by so fast) and don't worry about the food - you don't have to cook, clean or think of what to make for dinner for one week. ENJOY! - you will love it.

I've sailed both lines. When we cruise with our kids, NCL is our line of choice. Very family friendly with top notch kid's programs and facilities. I just returned from my second trip on the Spirit in less than a year. Besides one dinner at Cagney's, we ate the remainder of our meals in the main dining rooms. IMO, the food was great. If you and DH would like to eat at Cagney's or Le Bistro without your DD, you can make a reservation for a time while she will be at the kid's crew.

Hello, everyone. We are leaving on the Dawn on June 1 (my husband 42, daughter almost 5 and myself 43). We are booked in an AB cabin. We've cruised twice before (both times before DD), both times on Celebrity (Summit and Mercury), both times in suites. We were quite impressed with the overall product on Celebrity but the Dawn met on needs this time as we both love Bermuda, and we can drive to NYC (we live in northern VA-Alexandria).

I've been reading a lot of negative comments about food on the Dawn and I'm a little nervous as we love finer dining. Don't get me wrong, I love a good burger, but I hate to think each night will be a disappointment. We will try the tex-mex and Italian but won't take our DD into Cagneys or the french restaurant as we don't find that appropriate for the other diners. My daughter is really well behaved but still, I don't think those establishments were meant for children.

I agree with a lot of you that a vacation is what you make of it and all vacations (in theory) should be great if you stay openminded.

Welcome! We are also on the 6/1 Dawn sailing. Please come and join our Roll Call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=721821

We have not cruised on the Dawn, but just came off the Gem last month. Was not impressed with the Main Dining Room. Others will tell you it was the best ever. We ate mostly at the specialty restaurants. There were several young and well behaved children at LeBistro, not a problem with us.

Celebrity is still my favorite as far as dining. DH prefers Carnival. We were pleasently surprised with our NCL experience. We had not cruised with them in many years, pre freestyle.

Enjoy your cruise and please join us on Monday for the Meet and Greet and a special surprise!

Gail

Please feel free to take your DD to Cagneys , Ive not been in there and not seen children. You did say she was well behaved ;) We take our 2 DD's with every time and they love the fries plus they can order offf the kids menue if they choose. Have fun

mpk

I was on the Dawn last year and I LOVED the food! We were on a 10 night cruise and we only ate in the dining rooms 3 nights. We did a lot of the specialty restaurants (we ate in almost every one except for Le Bistro).

Here's my take on them:

Italian (free)= left MUCH to be desired. Maybe it's because I'm from Brooklyn AND I'm italian that I just wasn't a fan of the food in this restaurant.

Mexican (free)= DELICIOUS! We ate there two nights and GORGED ourselves! :)

Cagney's (surcharge) = DELICIOUS!!!!!! Please, do NOT pass up Cagney's. It is so good. We ate there two nights on the cruise and wish we would've eaten there more. YUMMM. One of my girlfriends who doesn't really like red meat (she's not vegetarian, she just doesn't really like red meat) even ate STEAK and VEAL here and claimed it to be the best!

Bamboo (surcharge) = DELICIOUS AGAIN! We loved this place! It was only a $10 surcharge but I think it may have gone up but the food was so good! Think gourmet Chinese/Asian food. The lettuce wraps were SO YUMMY and so was the Banana tempura with ice cream! Delish! I think we ate here two nights as well.

Teppenyaki (surcharge) = We weren't HUGE fans of this. It was good but not my favorite on the boat. I've been to many hibachi style restaurants and this just wasn't up to par with what I'm used to. Plus, the reservation is near impossible to get. I think we had to wait until 9:30 to be seated!

The buffet was great for breakfast and good for lunch. Hit up the pasta station at lunch! Yum! The poolside grill was good for a burger and some fries.

And that's it! Hope this helps! And rest assured that I am a FOODIE. I was raised in an Italian (New Yorker Italian lol) household where my grandmother did all the cooking AND I live in Brooklyn. Come on, we've got some of the best food in NYC :) Enjoy your cruise on the Dawn! I LOVEDDDD it! Wish I was sailing her again!

We were on the Dawn 5/11/08 and had a great time in spite of events and weather I hope you meet Ravi our butler he was outstanding.

With the suite you get to have breakfast & lunch at Cagneys (don't miss it it was great)

LaBistro French $15 was delicious don't miss the chocolate fondue

Impressions Italian now $10 each food & service were very good don't forget the antiposta cart

Salsa Mexican still free was great good food and entertainment

Cagney's Steak $20 was Delicious Up there with a NY steak house Bananas foster for dessert was wonderful

Bamboo $15 loved it sat at the sushi bar

Teppenyaki $15 did not eat there (not fans of habatchi)

The buffet and blue lagoon were great for snacbreakfast Did not like the NY Deli being from NY it could not compare

Give my love to Oldtown, we lived in Alexandria 7 years in the 80s, loved dining there. And no, the food on the Dawn will not match what you get in the DC area. LOL

As for the overall quality of food, I think Celebrity does have better meats but otherwise I am not sure you will find much difference. Overall food on cruise ships has gone down hill in the past 5 or so years, more each year: It is called inflation I think. LOL As long as you keep an open mind which it sounds like you will I don't think you will have any problems. NCL is not Celebrity but we actually prefer NCL, just our choice. Both lines have their nich or is it nitch?

I know this isn't a thread about kids in upscale dining rooms, but I do want to commend you for using your head when it comes to your little girl and Le Bistro particularly. I will let it go with that. Have a great cruise and please report back.

Nita

Thank you so much for all of your comments. We plan on trying some of the specialty restaurants with DD (the kid-friendly mexican and such) but hope to experience Cagneys and/or Le Bistro while she is in the kids club.

Nita, we live in Old Town and love it here. Wouldn't live anywhere else in the area. Thank you for your words of advice.

I will report back when we return.

Gail, thank you for the invite!

Judith

Nice of you to consider the other diners in regards to taking your daughter into a fine dining venue, however, unless a child is noisy/problematic I don't see any issue at all on having them there (I don't have any children). Of course if your goal is to have a romantic/adult dining experience, then that's a whole different subject. ;)

Also another option, since you're in an AB Penthosue, which I believe has a table for four and a butler, I *think* you should be able to order meals from any restaurant on the ship and eat "at home" if you'd like.

Enjoy,

Joyce

Nice of you to consider the other diners in regards to taking your daughter into a fine dining venue, however, unless a child is noisy/problematic I don't see any issue at all on having them there (I don't have any children). Of course if your goal is to have a romantic/adult dining experience, then that's a whole different subject. ;)

Also another option, since you're in an AB Penthosue, which I believe has a table for four and a butler, I *think* you should be able to order meals from any restaurant on the ship and eat "at home" if you'd like.

Enjoy,

Joyce

you can order, but part of the fun of eating in the more upscale dining roos is just that, eating in the restaurant itself and a romantic meal one night is a great way to add to a vacation experience. AS for kids in restaurants like Le Bistro: I agree, if they are well behaved it is fine to bring them but I also think asking a 5 year old to sit still and enjoy eating for 2 hours is expecting a lot out of them. Now I will not add anymore as this isn't a thread on should kids be taken to the top restaurants.

Nita

I was on the Dawn in Dec 2007. DD and I found the food to be extremely good and we are world travelers and know good food. We ate at the buffet only once for lunch and once for breakfast and I fount the buffet to be above average. The fresh ingredients were very fresh. Hot foods hot and cold served cold. We ate in the main dining room 6 nights and enjoyed everything we ate. We went to Le Bistro one night for lamb and it was delish.......they served the same lamb 3 days later in the main dining room and it was delish.

I'm looking forward to the same delish food served on the Sun in August.

I always took my four children out to enjoy fine dining and it was a wonderful way to teach them impecible manners but I never took them out after 6 PM.

Have a great cruise.

Archived