Cabin Door - Cruise Critic Sign... just curious

mikjr

When we cruised with Princess a few years back, I noticed signs on the cabin doors that said "CRUISE CRITIC", and always wondered who these people were... and why they had a special sign.

Obviously, that was before I discovered the website... and the boards.

Who puts those signs on the door? the CC member? or HAL?? or???

As a Cruise Critic member... do you think you receive better treatment from the crew if they know you are a "Cruise Critic"... and the sign is on your door?

Just curious....

The CC signs are put there by CC members themselves. HAL (or any other line) does not make them and put them up.

I personally would not put one on my door. It would appear that I expect extra special service because of my "status" on Cruise Critic. I know that many will say it just builds comradarie among CC members on the cruise ... but for me it would send a message I don't want to send.

When we cruised with Princess a few years back, I noticed signs on the cabin doors that said "CRUISE CRITIC", and always wondered who these people were... and why they had a special sign.

we have put them on our door on NCL and Princess...

they are NOT for special attention at all.....but purely so other CC members on that cruise , that we have joined in a " roll call " with, know we are in that cabin..

it has our CC name on it, SO ...

we may have been enjoying months of chat with people,

who are on the same deck, or up the hall,or even maybe next door etc.

DEFINITELY NOT for attention from the crew etc.

I've never put a sign on my door, but I have put one of the CC refrigerator magnets ($2.50 on CC Logowear) on my door jamb just for fellow-CC identification purposes, not in the expectation of any special attention or treatment. I doubt that the room steward would have any idea what it meant anyway. It has been a conversation starter on occasion.

However, on the Amsterdam cruise we just completed it was stolen on about the 10th day. There were only two young boys on board, so odds are that some "nice" adult took it. :mad: DW didn't really like it (she thought along the lines that Jim does, that it was "sending the wrong message") so I don't think I'll buy another.

Most usually someone on the Roll Call makes up the signs and they are distributed at the meet and greet. For our Noordam "Reunion" Cruise in January, 2007, RevNeal made fabulous signs for all of us. We were a group of over 100. Some put the signs on the door so others could easily find other CC members.

You don't need any special sign or membership or anything else to get wonderful service on HAL. It is rare when someone does not enjoy fabulous service from HAL crews IMO

No signs necessary. ;)

I personally would not put one on my door. It would appear that I expect extra special service because of my "status" on Cruise Critic. I know that many will say it just builds comradarie among CC members on the cruise ... but for me it would send a message I don't want to send.
I'm with you. It isn't that we expect any special treatment other than the usual "wonderful service", it is the perception that we feel we are 'special'. What others do is up to them, we're just not comfortable doing so.

We're fully capable locating our cabin by using the cabin numbers, so thoughtfully supplied by HAL, and would expect any CC members traveling with us to do the same. When we've sailed with CC'ers, we've always had a list of everyone's cabin numbers. If we don't know them, they don't need to know who is in our cabin. ;)

On our 64 day cruise we had over 40 CCers - every single sign was stolen off the doors. Wonder why people would want them.

We only put them on so other CCers could find us easily.

Never entered my head to think about extra service - it was so good that I don't think they could have done better. :)

and just exactly , what STATUS would that be:confused:
Absolutely none. That's why I put the word in quotes. There was a recent thread that mentioned a woman who blatantly told the crew she was a member of Cruise Critic and they'd better do this or that or she'd write a terrible review. Not everyone pulls that sort of stuff, I know. But some do.

In all our HAL cruises we had never had a door sign till our Yum Yum Man Worshippers. Because there were 70 plus of us we made up door signs and T shirts and buttons. We had a blast and our signs did say Cruise Critics but that is not the first thing you noticed. Because we included the crew in our Theme they all thought it was a lot of fun.

Here is a picture of one of our Yum Yum Man Worshippers Kryse. Hopefully she will not mind that I post her picture. This was just an excellent example of our Door Sign and our T-shirts and name tags:)

CIMG0678.jpg?t=1211649678

Here's an example of a sign that I created for the Noordam Reunion Cruise in 2007. I prepared over 90 of these signs. Some people just kept them as a souvenir, others put them on their doors.

noorsignrevneal1.jpg

I created the sign with Adobe Illustrator based upon the CC template that you can find elsewhere on CC.

The purpose is simply to identify one's cabin to other fellower CCers and to people who might be interested in finding out about CC. Not "special privileges" are expected, and service is GREAT on HAL with and without a sign.

I used Scotch sticky-squares to fix them to the door, and they stayed up for the entire 11 days.

What do you use to stick signs to doors?

For our door signs I printed them up on glossy photo paper and place double sided tape on the botton and top so was easy to place on the door when we were ready. Although double sided tape is a bit expensive but it held well the whole week.

There was a recent thread that mentioned a woman who blatantly told the crew she was a member of Cruise Critic and they'd better do this or that or she'd write a terrible review. Not everyone pulls that sort of stuff, I know. But some do.

Well she was an idiot, ...

On our last cruise 7 of us (CC's) were invited to have high tea with the Captain , NONE of us expected it , so it was a really nice afternoon. It was the first time I had heard of Capt doing that, and we have had a lot of great CC times., and many unexpected visitors ..good ones that is..because of our door signs.

Archived