Roll Call Pride Oct. 30th TA Crossing

Martita B.

Sailor's,

I know many of you are booked on the Pride Portugal Passage TA Crossing~~Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale. Thought I would go ahead and start the Roll Call.

I'm boarding Oct. 16th (Canary Islands and Spain) and will remain for the 12 day Atlantic Crossing.

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...

L,

As it's difficult to mail party goody box's to Portugal I won't be hosting this voyage ~~but I'm sure the Pride TA Sailor's will never the less have lots of fun!:D

I'm sure you enjoyed being aboard the Spirit ~~was Vitor Hotman?

Thanks for the Captain's "regards" ~~Captain Toenis and I both left Norway on May 21st ~~T.T. flew to Genoa and I to West Texas. Did you happen to see Captain G A's colorful "rat guards?"

Hope all is well with you ~:p

MB

Hi Martita,

Sorry you won't be doing a pirates pajama party! But now I have one less thing to pack!

From Alexandria, we had Nils as Staff Captain, Gunnar as Chief Eng, Vitor as hot man, Jan & Dan with David E, Ryszard as Maitre d. Capt G-A had new 'rat guards' and has posted the Mom & Dad Cats on his website on the April 12th to 28th Singapore to Dubai cruise, but also has a new "Kittens" one that is darling as well. He loved the mechanical rat I brought for him.

From Athens we had the same as above, but wth Capt T T, and Frank Freeman as Cruise Dir with Mathew Brown.

Your favorite dance host was also onboard, but wasn't out dancing at all. The Officers seem to stay out of sight outside of work these days with only a few nights out at the skybar, but were rarely seen in the Club. Too bad things have changed, as it was always fun to see them out being social and mingling with the passengers. I for one, enjoy learning about the inner workings of the ship, hearing their stories and really miss the behind the scenes tours of the ship they used to give. I did get to honk the horn though! YEAH!!

Being my first cruise on Spirit, it was wonderful to see so many familiar faces! Louie and Cyril are now asst Maitre d's! I was hoping to see Marcel, but he was on vacation :(

Do you know who will be on Pride in Oct?

L

L,

As to Officer's and Staff, Capt. Anderssen will be aboard Oct. 16th-Oct. 30th, Capt. Dexter will be at the helm for the Crossing. I've not heard as to Hotman ~~I'm guessing "Lulu." Haven't heard as to the other Bridge Boy's.

I know of at least 10 to 12 Guests that will embark in Lisbon for the Crossing ~~

Miss A. actually talked me into boarding on Oct. 16th. I'm looking forward to being with her.:p (she's a HOOT!)

MB

• 1 month later...

Bumping the thread up ~~

So far I know of 16 Seabourn Sailor's boarding in Lisbon on Oct. 30th ~~a fun group to Cross!:p I'm sure there will be many familiar faces in the Magellen Lounge on Oct. 30th.

Let's hope King Neptune, His Majesty, is kind to us.:D

Martita B.

Matt

Yes, Missy A will disembark in Ft Lauderdale. She is truly a Blue Water Sailor ~~I could not stay aboard for 10 months but she loves her sea life. I'll enjoy being with her ~~I'll also enjoy being with L.T. as she boards Oct. 2nd in Dover.

MB

If capt Dexter is on for the crossing persuade him to run one of his frog race evenings. we had one on another ship with him one night across the Indian Ocean and thats a real hoot! Dont ask me what a frog race is. It will spoil it if you have one.

rigelkent

Many thanks for the info! I've been e-mailing Captain Dexter this summer and he IS planning a "race" surprise for us on the Oct. Crossing ~~We've never enjoyed "races" on a Crossing so I'm excited!

Yes, Captain Dexter came to Seabourn from the Minerva II ~~he's an excellent Master and a sweet, personable fellow.:p We'll all enjoy him. (his 1st Seabourn Cross)

Martita B.

Hi all -

I am a Seabourn "newbie" - but am planning to be a reformed Crystal/Silverseas/Radisson passneger and instead be a Seabourn guest on the Oct. 30 crossing.

Your board and those pix on Capt. GA's site really convinced me that Seabourn has a great crew which usually means a great cruise.

Am coming in to Lisbon a day ahead to ensure my luggage and I arrive at approximately the same place and am staying at the Lapa Palace (I don't think much of the Four Seasons in Lisbon unless they have really improved since I was there last).

Any advice on packing for this one? Transatlantics tend to be a little more formal at night :D but I have noticed the dress codes become more relaxed, even on Seabourn with something now referred to as "elegant casual".

Looking forward to meeting up with you and to this mysterious "frog race"!

Best regards,

Marga

Hello Marga!

Welcome to the Seabourn Board and to CruiseCritic! I noticed you are a "newbie" here too!

You will really like this board, I'm sure!

So your first Seabourn cruise; you will love that too, no worries.

Are you from Holland by the way? I am.

I've done quite a few Transatlantics on Seabourn and other lines too and yes, you are right "elegant casual" is often the dress code. Men don't have to wear a tie (but some do). Women normally wear something quite elegant or even something more dressy. Especially on crossings. There are usually 3 to 4 formal nights. I will be on the Legend crossing this time, so we won't meet! I can send you a referral coupon for on board credit, if you want me to? Then I need your (email) address.

Marja

Marja -

I noticed your name on one of the posts -- have only seen it once before while in college -- a very looooooong time ago!

I am of Swiss/German background and the full name (long-kept secret) is actually Margrette (pronounced Marja-retta) -- due to Mother having spelled the old family name incorrectly on birth certificate :eek:.

Thanks for the info on the dress -- also has to do with how much I need to lug along as am decideing if I want to use luggage forwarding. Depends on which airline Seaboun puts me on- they really have a decent offer on business class --couldn't beat it when searching online. I have a very bad back so long flights are murder (which is why I like getting off the ship in Florida - not so far to fly home to Arizona).

I also looked at the Legend crossing but the only thing that changed my mind was the single supplement -- I received a run of ship rate on Pride not available on Legend. I also love Funchal (Madeira) the only stop. Plus there is that frog race...:D

It would be fun to be on the same ship sometime -- could you imagine the crew trying to sort out Marja and Marga? Hilarious!

I would really appreciate the coupon if you care to send it -- it sounds like a very good deal.

My email is: mfritze2@cox.net

Thanks again!

Marga

Hi Marga!

Marga is quite a common name here in Holland too. More so than Marja.

The crew will normally use your surname, but some do call me Marja!

I know some them for years already, so they are like real friends. Or at least I consider them like my real friends!

We have rain and thunder here at the moment, quite exciting!

I hope you will enjoy your Pride crossing; I know a lot of people who will be on it! I'm sure you will have a blast!

Marja

Marga,

Welcome to our Seabourn board!

I just returned from Connecticut, visiting Seabourn friends, and was so pleased to read of your joining us on the Pride Oct. TA Crossing!

As to "the dress," you are correct ~~On the Crossing's I have found the ladies do dress most evenings ~~~not neccessarily formal but Country Club. I haven't heard as to the number of formal nights but am guessing 3. We won't know of the Deck BBQ in advance however~~it's always "weather permitting." Daytime is always casual and comfortable. This Oct. I have decided to do black ~~all "mix and match." Will be easier. I plan to board on Oct. 16th so will enjoy at least 6/7 formal evenings during the voyage. I am using Seabourn Luggage Valet service.

I have been in touch with Captain Dexter and yes, he is planning a "raceday"but not frogs! He's going to surprise us with this special "sea event!" Sounds fun and something we've not experienced before on our TA Crossing's. He may also have another seaday event planned ~~

So happy you will be aboard and I look forward to meeting you on Oct. 30th in 'ole Lisboa!:p Safe flights ~~

Martita B.

Hi Marga!

It was never my intention to "steel" you away from Silversea, when we last met there, but that you would go this soon, was really a surprise to me! Anyway I know you will like it. And we are looking at another Silver Whisper week in August at the moment. I might book it later.

If Seabourn has nothing to offer that is convenient for us, we look at Silversea. Seabourn however is still our favorite!

Marja

Marga,

I too love Madeira ~~in fact I have been e-mailing a Funchal Rental Agent (Margot) and she will be picking me up at the dock the morning we arrive to look at Old Town apartments. I'll be renting a small property for a holiday next year! There are flights to/from Chicago/Ponta Delgada, Azores or I'll simply fly TAP/Lisbon.

Seabourn will be hosting a complimentary"Reids Palace teatime"in

Funchal...I think it's around 2 p.m. ~~very nice! I'm always amused at, "gentlemen, please wear coat and necktie, ladies, no open toed shoes !!"

Not sure as to the Cruise Director or the Assn.'s or the Ex. Chef. I'm hoping our Cheffy will be Markus! Will try and find out before we leave.

Look forward to lazy, hazy, daisy magical sea days! We'll hope King Neptune is kind to us in Oct.!

Oh, what part of Arizona is your home?

Martita B.

Trivia time: Did you know that the executive chef at Lapa Palace (hotel in Lisbon) used to be the exec. chef at Reid's? Kind of a 6-degrees thing going on here.

In all my trips to Madeira, I have only stopped briefly at Reids -- haven't had tea there yet.

I am hoping that the famous needlepoint/embroidery shop will be open in Funchal this time. Last time I was there, it was closed (probably took a big financial hit after 9/11 and reduced tourist traffic. The man who owns it was the descendent of the man who brought embroidery/needlepoint to Madeira and their shop did all the embroidery for White House linens. He gave me a fantastic private tour of the entire workshop -- an experience I will never forget (thank you Crystal concierges for that one!!!)

I live in a little hamlet called Fountain Hills, in the hills northeast of Scottsdale. Close enough to the "land of make-believe" to have access to great restaurants and shopping but still removed enough and has great views.

What part of Texas are you from? I have relatives down in Houston.

Marga-with-a-G

Marga

Interesting trivia as to the Chef ~~The Lapa Palace is also a lovely hotel. My good friends from Birmingham will probably stay there before the Oct. Crossing. (they usually do)

You'll enjoy teatime at Reid's ~~the gardens are beautiful!

I know you're area but have not visited Fountain Hills.

I live between San Antonio and El Paso.....down from Midland.

"middle of nowhere!":D Houston would be a 7 hour drive for me.

As I fly Continental I am only at the Int. Airport.

Have a great week!

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, newbie to the board and to Seabourn.

In the process of booking my cruise and wanted to see if any one of you veterans have a referral voucher so that we can both benefit from the generosity of Seabourn?

Was also looking at the shore excursions and wanted to get your take on the Island Sampler tour. Good first start or are there better ways to explore during our free day?

Looking forward to your kind help and to meeting what seems to be a great crowd on this crossing.

Thank you,

TS

TS

Welcome to our Seabourn family! And to the CC board.:p

Yes, I have a referral coupon ~~ is there a way I can contact you?

If so I'll happy to mail the referral to Blue Lagoon Dr.

I know you'll enjoy the Oct. TA Crossing and yes, "the crowd" will

be lots of fun!

Martita B.

TS

I do appreciate your sense of humor ~~I am not frittering away

my Friday evening .....I'm all eyes watching the grand entrance of all the athletes in Beijing! Opening ceremony ~~absolutely stunning!

I will e-mail you shortly and again "welcome to our Seabourn family."

Martita B.

We sail October 30 so our second night will be formal--and it will also be Halloween. Halloween costumes are usually not terribly formal, but perhaps we should all bring masks for the occasion. We could introduce Captain Dexter into an American tradition. What do you think??

Winnie

Archived