Roll Call Pride Oct. 30th TA Crossing

Martita B.

TS

I looked at the Madeira Island Sampler tour this morning and I would certainly reccommend it. The tour includes a trip around the island, a stop for wine tasting and the wicker sledge ride, etc.

After the tour you should go to the Mercado dos Lavradores market in Old Town. It's not to be missed! The flowers, fruits/vegetables, the fish monger market is quite interesting. I always buy a arm load of flowers to take back to the ship. Very inexpensive ~~and lovely!

Martita B.

Matt

Ha ha ha~~"Busted" again! I can not help becoming excited about all the gorgeous stems and nosegays ~~ and yes, JB and I have been known to fill up the Taxi trunks with exotic and unusual flowers of Madeira! We terrorize the florist aboard.....borrowing vases of all size and her using her precious flower snippers.

But everyone that receives a bouquet are always appreciative.:D

Martita B.

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like a good way to get acquainted with the island.

I was wondering what we were going to do about Halloween.

My costume won't involve a mask - have to be practical about your choice of garb lest it interfere with your consumption of libations - but I'm guessing my choice will make Martita feel right at home.

TS

Scanman

Please keep in mind that Halloween, Captain Mark Dexter will be hosting his "Welcome Reception" in the Magellan Lounge before dinner. As this is Captain's 1st Seabourn Transatlantic Crossing I sure wouldn't want to show up lookin' like a bunch of "scalawags!" ha ha ha (although he would love it)

I'll probably wear my fashionable evening mask after the reception and dinner ~~~but then, who knows ??? 'Let the games begin!

Martita B.

Interesting tidbit on the excursions for Madeira, the system let me book both the Island Sampler and the event at Reid's.

If we assume Reid's is at 13:30 (2.5 hours prior to departure at 16:00) and that the sampler gets under way right at 9:00 (, then 4.5 hours later your back at the ship to move onto the next event.

Since the system is at least smart enough not to let you book the sampler and the Gardens tours at the same time, I think Reid's was specifically timed to allow everybody to do a paid tour as well.

Guess we'll see how punctual and efficient these tours are.

TS

Scanman - not too worry. Many people did both tours on the April crossing. They won't leave for Reids until the morning tours are back and the shp leaves fairly promptly after everyone boards from the Reids excursion. Very efficient!

• 1 month later...

Hello to Martita B. and all other CCers doing the crossing. I'll be getting on in Dover, October 2nd and staying on until Ft. Lauderdale. You all are making me nervous. Bags went out with DHL yesterday but it seems I should have packed some extra duds for crossing events. No stranger to Seabourn, this is my first experience with Cruise Critic. You all seem to have a lot of fun. Be seeing some of you soon. Mary C.

Mary

A warm welcome to the Seabourn CC board!:p

I won't board until Oct. 16th but have friends boarding in Dover on Oct. 2nd. I'm carefully packing as Seabourn will fetch my luggage on Oct. 3rd ~~(I decided to cut way back, my clothing this voyage)

Don't worry as to Halloween.....just slip in a cute mask in your carry-on. As Oct. 31st will be Captain Dexter's "Welcome Reception" I'm guessing some guests will simply don a mask for afternoon cocktails in the Sky Bar. I bought a wonderful Halloween evening sweater, but have decided it wouldn't be appropriate for formal night so pleeeeze if you see me wearing a formal black/orange sweater at the Sky Bar you won't "point and snicker!"

(I just must wear that sweater!!:confused: )

Again, "Welcome to our family!"

See 'ya in 'ole Lisboa!

Martita B.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martita B.

It's so great to know you are a Texas gal--me too! We are so excited about our first Seabourn cruise, we talk about it everyday. I needed to ask you about the teatime in Funchal. We're signed up, but I wasn't planning on taking any closed toed shoes other than tennies. A pretty pair of sandals won't get me in the door? Please let me know. Also, will there be a time and place on the ship to meet y'all? We'll definitely go to the Sky Bar once we board, but how will we know who is who?

Happy Sails,

Joy

Joy

As you boarded in Dover I'm guessing you are quickly becoming a Seabourn Blue Water Sailor ~~

I'm sure the "closed toe" shoe police won't turn you away at Reid's but in the past we were very aware that the men wear a necktie and a jacket ~~ladies wear closed toed shoes ~~you might ask the Tour Manager.

I'll be in the Sky Bar on the 16th, late afternoon ~~perched on my 'ole regular stool which is the end stool by the service kitchen door~~ I plan on unpacking a few items before I come up. (keeping my fingers crossed that DHL delivered my luggage to the ship)

See 'ya soon!

Martita B.

Joy

I'm sure the "closed toe" shoe police won't turn you away at Reid's but in the past we were very aware that the men wear a necktie and a jacket ~~ladies wear closed toed shoes ~~you might ask the Tour Manager.

Martita B.

Hi Joy,

I stayed at Reid's Palace after my last SB cruise, and the dress code was much more relaxed than what I had been told, so I just checked their website. High tea asks for "Smart Casual" attire, so your pretty sandals should be fine. See you onboard!

Hi Martita B. & Leslie!

Sorry I've been so long in getting back to you--a wild few days here in Big D! Anyway, thanks so much again for the info on Reid's teatime--I'm going to risk it with my nice sandals, but hubby will definitely go per dress code instructions. Alas, I won't be joining the Pride until 30 October, so Martita I hope I'll still see you at your favorite spot in the Sky Bar. Anyway, there aren't that many passengers (comparatively speaking) so I'm sure we'll make acquaintance at some point!

Happy sails,

Joy

Joy

I have very good Seabourn friends from Dallas that will be joining us on the Pride Crossing ~~ they are sailing with two other Dallas-ites that are "newbies" to Seabourn. They invited their friends to join them and 'lo and behold they accepted!:p (I've not met them)

It would be fun if you and your husband know them!

Yes, I'll see 'yall at the Sky Bar on Oct 30th! Say "Yee Haw":p

MB

Matt

Yes, I had forgotten we had a cocktail with them at the Sky Bar on the Legend ~~they are great fun and I'm thrilled they will be aboard for the Crossing.

That day was the last time I saw my sweet friend, Deborah.

I surely will miss you and your Mother in the Canary Islands ~~didn't we have fun? Especially ridin' the camels!:eek: And the pink beans.

Martita B.

Hi Martita B.,

It would be fun if we found out we knew each other! We took friends on a SS cruise to Alaska and had the time of our lives--I hope they have as much fun with theirs. Looking forward to seeing y'all with yer boots on that rail!

Happy Sails,

Joy

• 3 weeks later...
Just like Dan, I wish you all a wonderful crossing on the lovely Pride!

May Neptunus (or Poseidon) watch over you and may Seabourn look after you (as I'm sure they will!)

Warm regards to everybody!

Marja

Hi Marja

are you ok to travel on the crossing on the Legend? I hope so

kind regards

deb

Archived