Anybody get sick from eating and drinking in Cozumel?

deanbrew

My wife is very concerned about getting sick from eating or drinking while in Cozumel. She's heard the stories from people who get stomach viruses from consuming food and drinks in Mexico. Is the food at restaurants and beach clubs safe to eat? What about frozen drinks? What are the rules for avoiding the trots and runs after visiting Cozumel?

My wife is very concerned about getting sick from eating or drinking while in Cozumel. She's heard the stories from people who get stomach viruses from consuming food and drinks in Mexico. Is the food at restaurants and beach clubs safe to eat? What about frozen drinks? What are the rules for avoiding the trots and runs after visiting Cozumel?

We have eaten and had Margaritas in Cozumel many times and never had a problem. I would suggest you stay with the more populated places like Ponchos, and those places near the port pier. We also ate in Cabo not long ago: same, I think the water system has been much imporved over the past 10 years or so. If she is really concerned tell her to only drink from bottles, no frozen drinks and eat only cooked foods.

Nita

had no problems at nachi cocom beach resort...ate everything, including the fresh veggies. usually, if you stay away from uncooked food (some countries don't wash them) or tap water. but cozumel has a better water system and a good tourist trade...

now if you go over to the coast, be careful...but around the island you should be fine.

I've been traveling to Cozumel for the past 20 years, and have never gotten sick eating or drinking anything. Not once. I don't know that I'd eat anything from a street vendor, but all the restaurants and beach clubs agree with me. Try the fish tacos, they're wonderful.

Have fun!

My wife is very concerned about getting sick from eating or drinking while in Cozumel. She's heard the stories from people who get stomach viruses from consuming food and drinks in Mexico.

Cozumel isn't like the rest of Mexico. ONLY purified water is used in food prep. You would NOT be served tap water. ONLY purified water is used to make ice. I've been to Cozumel on several land vacations and have eaten at lots of places without a problem, including locals' restaurants back in the neighborhood.

Tourism is a major business on Cozumel, sick tourists are unlikely to return to the island and spend money. They are likely to tell everyone they know that they got sick there. Read the Cozumel ports of call section, I can't remember the last time someone complained about getting sick in Cozumel because of something they ate there.

Is the food at restaurants and beach clubs safe to eat?
Yes, it is safe.

What about frozen drinks?
Except that they might have alcohol, a known toxin, they are safe.

What are the rules for avoiding the trots and runs after visiting Cozumel?
What you want to avoid is Buffet food. Anything you order off of a menu is fine.

One thing that is sure to hurt you is too much exposure to the sun. Load up on the sunscreen if you are going to be out in the sun.

Cozumel isn't like the rest of Mexico. ONLY purified water is used in food prep. You would NOT be served tap water. ONLY purified water is used to make ice.

Is that true of the places to eat/drink on the east side of the island too?

Is that true of the places to eat/drink on the east side of the island too?

I'm pretty sure it is. The East side is totally without utilities, meaning no electricity or municipal water service. All the water they use has to be trucked there. I can not imagine they would use anything other than the purified water used on the rest of the island.

We have been to Coz 7 times and the only time that I got sick was from eating too much.:o Bruce can testify how well I like my food.:D

Archived