a few specific questions regarding our short stay in London

If someone familiar could answer a few specific questions please:

1. We have private transportation arranged to take us from our hotel to Harwich and back at a cost of 150 GBP. (each way) I have read some things about this cruise train. Where does one catch this train and where does it drop one off in Harwich? (in relation to the cruise ship terminal)

2. What is the approximate cost and time factor of using this train?

3. I read that it leaves Harwich early...around 8 am? Are folks getting off the ship in time to catch this train and how much would taxi cost from the drop off in London to Heathrow?

I have yet to find a hotel for our stay on 8/2 and 8/3. That is I have been bidding unsuccessfully on Priceline. I have checked out the various hotels that folks on this board have recommended. I want a hotel that is in the most desirable location (closest to the most sightseeing) and easy to find the hop-on and hop-off buses. Maybe I am asking too much with this hotel location but suggestions would be most welcome. Julie

What price range are you looking at for a hotel?

Since the sights are so spread out over London it's hard to say what area would be good for you without knowing what you want to see when you are there.

Have you checked your cruiseline to see if they offer airport transfers the day they kick you off the ship? They should be cheaper than the transfers you have booked. Or else you can check the roll call for your sailing to see if you can share transfers to LHR to cut down the costs.

We took the train to and from Harwich in July 2005. The train leaves from Liverpool Street Station, and the Harwich stop is right at the port.

There is one special "cruise train" on cruise ship days, but there are a number of trains that go that route each day. The train takes an hour and 15 minutes, and costs 25 pounds for a standard single (one-way) and 28.5 pounds for a standard return (roundtrip). http://www.thetrainline.com/Buy_Tickets/Matrix/Display_Matrix.asp?T2ID=3024_2008525213443 The tickets might cost less if you buy them after arrival in London. I'd say 57 pounds for two people on the train sure beats 300 pounds for a private transfer service!

London hotels are among the most expensive and kind of yucky. I have stayed at several and none including the expensive hotels were something to rave about.

Look for the location.

If you are doing the train from Heathrow (14 pounds one way per adult). Then stay near Paddington station where it lets off.

If take a taxi then just stay near the Liverpool station and take the train from there to Harwick. I couldn't find much info on this in regard to price though.

I have stayed in London the past two times for about $ 150 per night. The rooms were utilitarian but in nice areas.

Another option is staying Harwick. But I understand if you have never been to London then you would want to stay there. The nicest places to see are around Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London and the London Eye. I stayed around Victoria station but there wasn't much there. We had to take the underground and spend more money.

London hotels are among the most expensive and kind of yucky. I have stayed at several and none including the expensive hotels were something to rave about.

Look for the location.

If you are doing the train from Heathrow (14 pounds one way per adult). Then stay near Paddington station where it lets off.

If take a taxi then just stay near the Liverpool station and take the train from there to Harwick. I couldn't find much info on this in regard to price though.

QUOTE.

it has been said before on this board, please be careful about names of stations, to get to Harwich you need to depart from Liverpool Street station.

Liverpool is a large city many miles to the west of London so in theory you could give yourself an almighty headache if you went there:eek:

The train to Harwich stops at the cruise terminal which is alongside the ship, sooo easy.Walk off the platform and the guys are there to take your cases.

The train to Harwich stops at the cruise terminal which is alongside the ship, sooo easy.Walk off the platform and the guys are there to take your cases.

Don't make the mistake we did when we arrived at Harwich and followed the crowd UP THE STAIRS with our luggage (no escalator or elevator) to the cruise ship terminal! Had we walked the other direction, we could've rolled our luggage across the tracks and given it to the porters right there.

You can try this link for a hotel in London: http://www.travelodge.co.uk/saver_rooms/

You might be able to get a saver rate for 1 night and a regular rate for the other night, but the average will be in your favor. There are several hotels in London to choose from, including 1 not too far away from Liverpool Street Station.

Archived