Missed Cruise in 2007

txracefan

yes,DFW shut down because of storm.Our plane didn't get to land.Not another flight to get us there in time.Because of the Jones Act we couldn't get on at the next port.Had ins,But they wouldn't pay but $500.Carnival came through and gave us credit for a cruise this year.

yes,DFW shut down because of storm.Our plane didn't get to land.Not another flight to get us there in time.Because of the Jones Act we couldn't get on at the next port.Had ins,But they wouldn't pay but $500.Carnival came through and gave us credit for a cruise this year.

Yes! At least you are going now! It must have been a long year. Seventeen days. I hope you make it. We just got rained out at Bass Lake, CA and came home yesterday. It reminded me of Ketichican.

I don't understand why you were prevented from catching the ship in Ketchikan last year. Our ship also left from Vancouver, and we had people join us in Ketchikan due to missing the ship - in spite of the Passenger Services Act.

I hope you have better luck this year.

Maybe I don't understand the finer points of the Jones Act. If you fly into VYR and are transferred straight to the ship in a "sealed" bus, you never officially leave the US and never enter Canada. So the Jones Act doesn't seem to require passengers to leave from a foreign port, just the ship, true? Therefore a passenger who missed the ship in YVR could catch the cruise in KET.

If the ship only had US ports of call remaining, I think the answer about catching up with the ship is 'no'.

That's why wise folks fly in the day before their cruise (or even more). Missing the ship is no fun. It happened to me on a cruise out of Tampa. I never was able to catch up with that ship due to storms (they skipped the first 3 ports) and had a 100% financial loss for the trip. I learned my lesson.

Maybe I don't understand the finer points of the Jones Act. If you fly into VYR and are transferred straight to the ship in a "sealed" bus, you never officially leave the US and never enter Canada. So the Jones Act doesn't seem to require passengers to leave from a foreign port, just the ship, true? Therefore a passenger who missed the ship in YVR could catch the cruise in KET.

Just for clarification, the Jones Act applies to freight only, not passengers. The PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) does not apply to one way cruises out of a foreign port, or even to round trip cruises out of a foreign port, only those round trip from a US port or back to back cruises which start from and end in US ports. There should be no penalty if one would have to meet the ship in KTN if they missed it in YVR.

Just for clarification, the Jones Act applies to freight only, not passengers. The PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) does not apply to one way cruises out of a foreign port, or even to round trip cruises out of a foreign port, only those round trip from a US port or back to back cruises which start from and end in US ports. There should be no penalty if one would have to meet the ship in KTN if they missed it in YVR.

Speaking of the PVSA - I haven't heard any more about changes to Alaska itineraries out of Seattle. Did the proposed changes die due to the public's outcry?

I don't really know,just know what Carnival told us.There where about 50 people they told every one the same thing.I would think that if we could,Carnival would not have given a refund to us.

After I read your story last summer, I WAS surprised that people joined our ship in Ketchikan. Hopefully the same thing won't happen again, but if it does - INSIST that they get you to the first port.

WishMaybe that is why we got our money back,because they told us wrong.We are sailing southbound this time.Several people went ahead and flew to vancouver even if they couldn't get there in time.Maybe they where the smart ones.We didn't feel our health was good enough to be stuck in Vancouver.I have RA and Husband has mild Parkinson.To bad we couldn't talk to the great people from CC.

WishMaybe that is why we got our money back,because they told us wrong.We are sailing southbound this time..

OK - so once again you're using cruise air and this time flying to Anchorage the day of the cruise. :eek: What kind of flight times do you have this year? Thank goodness the ship leaves later in the evening.

We had no choice they just gave us credit for cruise and air.We tried to fly in a day early, but they wanted $400 for that.We would have done our air had we had a choice.We leave DFW at 7:30 land in Seattle and then on to Vancouver,land there at 1:30.Things have changed since last year,could not afford the $400,would not even go if it wasn't paid for and would loose the money if we didn't go.

No words of wisdom, just hoping you have much better luck this year. :) Everyone deserves to whine on occasion, and who better than CC members to understand your worries but also wish you the best!

I'm not a fan of cruise-air packages, and your story expands my reasoning to book each separately, and fly in at least a day early.

Enjoy your cruise! Our first Alaskan cruise went so totally haywire, but our second (and third) was marvelous! Wishing you the same!

We had no choice they just gave us credit for cruise and air.We tried to fly in a day early, but they wanted $400 for that.We would have done our air had we had a choice.We leave DFW at 7:30 land in Seattle and then on to Vancouver,land there at 1:30.Things have changed since last year,could not afford the $400,would not even go if it wasn't paid for and would loose the money if we didn't go.

You're flying to Vancouver? You said you were on a southbound cruise - which would be from Whittier (flying into Anchorage). Wherever you're cruising from - I hope you get there this time.

Last summer we did the Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans. We shared our table with a family from (I think) Kansas City and the lady of the family told me about Cruise Critic. I had not heard of it before. Their situation was the same as the OP, I dont know if it was the same departure or another but they were delayed by thunderstorms in Denver and were told not to take another flght as they couldnt board the ship in another port. They got on the Fantasy at the last minute since they had the time off work and wanted to get away.

I believe that she is a host on CC and that "card" or "cardinal" and "Fan" are in her nickname.

Can anyone hook me up with her?

txracefan- If this helps raise your confidence, SEA and YVR usually run like clockwork. Also, if something goes wrong with the SEA-YVR leg there are a lot of flights. You're unlikely to hit weather delays in summer at either airport (DFW is a different story).

We leave in 17 more days .I am finding it hard to get excited,I'm so afraid it will happen again.I tried to go in a day early but they wanted $400.Not in our budget.Don't know why i'm crying to everyone.

txracefan

the power of positive thinking goes along way..I remember how disappointed you were last year and I felt very bad ..In 17 days you will be setting foot on your cruise ship and enjoying a cruise of a life time.. Dont worry and have a wonderful cruise!

Kelly

Archived