Alaska - Couple of Questions

RamRam

This is our first cruise ever, and first trip to Alaska. We are doing one week on land first, and taking a south bound cruise on Princess (Aug 4th sailing). I am looking for some input from those of you, who have taken multiple trips to Alaska on couple of questions.

1. We are going doing the Kenai Fords National Park Cruise Tour with Renown Tours. We were told that they'll take us through Resurrection Bay, where we'd see quite a few whales. We definitely want to see some whales onthis trip. If this is not true, we were considering taking a whale watching tour at Juneau while on the cruise. Any recommendations?

2. In Skagway, we are weighing the pros and cons of taking a Train/Bus tour to White Pass Summit & Carcross, or renting a car and driving on South Klondike Hwy to Carcross and Emerald Lake. Is one better than the other in terms of the scenary? Does the highway run along side the train route? Have any of you done both?

3. At Denali we are considering staying at the The Perch Resort cabins. Any input from those of you, who may have stayed there?

Thanks,

1. I think the Kenai Fjords trips are overall better than the whale-watching trip from Juneau (longer and more diverse scenery) but your chances of seeing whales is better from Juneau.

2. I'm a fan of the White Pass Yukon Railroad just for its historic significance to Alaska and the Yukon.

3. The Perch has an excellent reputation with locals; just don't expect anything too fancy. It also is much less expensive than those $$$$ places in glitter gulch.

I have been on Kenai Fjords boat tours over 10 times. It is NOT a whale watch. My averages have only been about 50% of my trips had a whale sighting- and those views are way brief compared to a whale watch out of Juneau or Hoonah. Out of both, it is 100% for humpbacks. I am always on both when in the areas.

The scenery is definately superior from the White Pass rr. The combo bus/rail trips are a great touring day, getting both.

Archived