Packing for the Galapagos?

artistsj

My husband and I will be on the 9/28/08 Xpedition cruise. What do I NEED? I am very concerned about the new one bag rule instituted by airlines. Jim and I are both handy capped. We need to be able to split up the luggage into smaller bags. If I am limited to one, that I can lift, what do I need? What should I leave at home? I read bring a lap top. Take your own snorkel mask. Take several types of back packs or carry-all? Do you think I should try to pack a few pieces of clothes or is it clothing optional on vacations these days? ;) Sorry just a little nervous about the packing. I really do want your best advise.:)

My husband and I will be on the 9/28/08 Xpedition cruise. What do I NEED? I am very concerned about the new one bag rule instituted by airlines. Jim and I are both handy capped. We need to be able to split up the luggage into smaller bags. If I am limited to one, that I can lift, what do I need? What should I leave at home? I read bring a lap top. Take your own snorkel mask. Take several types of back packs or carry-all? Do you think I should try to pack a few pieces of clothes or is it clothing optional on vacations these days? ;) Sorry just a little nervous about the packing. I really do want your best advise.:)

Right off the top, I would eliminate the laptop. We both own our own businesses and took well over a thousand pictures in one week and the internet cafe onboard and camera memory cards sufficed fine. The scuba equipment onboard is more than adequate and they will spend time assuring a good fit so I would jettison that, also. Meals are casual at best...the only thing they ask is not to wear bathing suits in the dining room so you save packing there, also.

You should do fine.

As far as I am aware, there is no one-bag rule instituted. There is a new surcharge for the 2nd bag, and that is only for domestic flights. My understanding is international flights still allow 2 bags.

In terms of what to bring, remember that virtually everything good in Galapagos is outdoors, and it is generally sunny outdoors. So bring lots of SUN PROTECTION. Remember your hats, sunscreen, etc. - and remember your FEET need sun protection if they are exposed. It is very easy to burn the tops of your feet being outside near the water with shoes off.

Also, remember that in the heat you will sweat a fair bit - so between that and the salt water - it is handy to have lots of t-shirts, etc. to change into because you probably won't want to wear the same thing more than once without washing. You can always have stuff laundered on onboard.

Have fun! Galapagos is amazing!

As far as I am aware, there is no one-bag rule instituted. There is a new surcharge for the 2nd bag, and that is only for domestic flights. My understanding is international flights still allow 2 bags....!

True for international, but in flying from Ecuador to the Galapagos the airline restricts and enforces the amount of luggage passengers may bring to the islands to 1-piece weighing no more than 44 lbs (20kg). :(

Just have to learn to travel light (a concept my wife has yet to master :p). But if ever there was a cruise that you only needed basics, this is it.

On Tame, excess baggage over the 20kg is 1% of the Y fare per kilo.

So if the Y fare is $190.54 (current Y fare Quito to Baltra), then an additional 20kg of luggage would cost about $38 - which is not unreasonable and may give you peace of mind.

You might want to check with the airline on whether you can simply pay for the over-weight charge for extra bags (as opposed to risking the extra bags be denied boarding).

My understanding is that for this flight, all of our provisions for the week (READ THAT AS FOOD) go on the plane with us. Would you rather have overweight luggage or food for the week? I'm hoping that everyone on my cruise chooses the food instead of extra clothes and equipment!

:):):) ninkb

There is a very long thread about the Xpedition on the Celebrity boards that can answer some of your questions. I got back yesterday from this trip; as of this spring, Celebrity charters its own flight, and says that each passenger can check one 30-lb bag, with a 14-lb carry on. They provided a scale at the Marriott in Quito so that we could weigh our bags. Several people left bags/things behind at the hotel in Quito, but as far as we could tell, this was strictly voluntary --though there was a certain amount of anxiety about this issue. I suspect that Celebrity may be emphasizing the weight issue more now than they used to.

I brought my own snorkel mask (prescription) and did bring a laptop. The trade off was fewer clothes and I ended up sending laundry out twice, but even so, with internet time and gift shop purchases, I spent only about $50.

My understanding is that for this flight, all of our provisions for the week (READ THAT AS FOOD) go on the plane with us. Would you rather have overweight luggage or food for the week? I'm hoping that everyone on my cruise chooses the food instead of extra clothes and equipment!

:):):) ninkb

We watched them restock the ship on Saturday (beverages, eggs, produce, toilet paper, etc) when we were anchored off of Puerto Ayora, so I don't think the food came with us on the plane-- or at least not all of it. As many people on the long thread have said, you probably don't need as many clothes as you think. The laundry service is affordable and very efficient.

... The scuba equipment onboard is more than adequate and they will spend time assuring a good fit ...

Does =X= still offer scuba? I haven't rechecked, but thought that as of 2008 ECUADOR had restricted scuba operators to companies that were offering prior to 1998 [or some such date] which predates =X= Xpedition.

You will need aqua shoes for the wet landings. It's a very casual cruise where shorts and t's are in order all of the time. It's an awesome xpediton you'll love. What kind of handicap are you talking about? I ask because the getting on and off the zodiac's every day can be challenging although staff will help if you're ambulatory. have a great time :D

Does =X= still offer scuba? I haven't rechecked, but thought that as of 2008 ECUADOR had restricted scuba operators to companies that were offering prior to 1998 [or some such date] which predates =X= Xpedition.

My understanding is that Xpedition will arrange with a local dive operator if people want it; on the May 18 sailing, only 2 people expressed interest and the minimum number seems to be 4.

I was on the May 11th sailing, so let me add my opinions/observations.

Our laptop was extremely useful, but we were shooting with an SLR, sometimes in RAW, using video with a P&S, and GPS data, so we had no other option. If photography is a focus, and your laptop isn't too burdensome (I had the 14" Dell model), take it. That way you have a backup, just in case. We took the same route as spartan21, where we ditched some clothes in the name of laptop/snorkel gear. Others chose to bring dressy clothes for dinner. To each his own. The 30lb limits seem voluntary, but try to follow them. They also make exceptions for carry-on camera/video gear. We made all of our bag weights within 1 lb by leaving more stuff at the hotel. If you have one of those roll-aboards, keep in mind that it's a smaller plane (E190), and the aisles/bins are a little smaller than usual.

You can do Scuba, but it will be at the expense of one or both of the Puerto Ayora excursions. The group was not told where they were going, until they were on the dive boat. The group of four ended up at a couple of sites near North Seymour. I don't know the cost.

Good luck! Have fun, and don't worry!

I haven't done Galapagos, but my rule for truly enjoying travel is to save some money ahead of time that is earmarked for laundry. If I spend $10 to $15 a day on laundry it's worth every dime, because I:

A: pack less

B. Go home with almost all clean clothes

C. Never have to worry did I under or over pack, take 3 full days worth and don't worry about it!

This method may be especially helpful if you have any mobility problems! Good Luck!

• 5 weeks later...

First, we loved this cruise. The Xpedition is great. The Galapagos wildlife is amazing. We took carry on bags only and it was just right. We each took mostly the lightweight travel stuff from LL Bean and Travelsmith - shirts, long pants, shorts and capris. We could easily wash this stuff in the bathroom sink and hang to dry overnight. I did take a couple of sun dresses for dinner but there really is no need. No one dressed up for dinner.

Archived