Glory itinerary switched?

karenw

No reason was given to me that seemed to make sense. I caused a little concern because one of our days that was switched was with a non-carnival excursion. Anyone that could shed some light on this would be most appreciated.

what was the real reason?

The best reason I got was that it was to spend more time in Honduras. It was a "last minute change" and I got the impression that it would be a permanent thing which is why I mentioned it to the next western roll call.

I'm not sure if upcoming sailing people will get a letter about it or something, though?

It didn't appear to be weather related or anything because it was decided before we left Port Canaveral. They must have run out of the photocopied letters because some people were not aware of the change until they got their caper on the night before the first of the two ports in question.

Yeah, the letter upon embarkation just said that is would give us more time in Roatan. I was glad because we had a good time. We did the beach excursions on both Roatan and Belize so the only bad thing was doing the Belize beach day after - because Roatan beach was so beautiful it was a small letdown.

Hope it's not a permanent change! I am looking forward to doing the Lamanai excursion in Belize - which is an independent tour - takes about 6 hours - and as it is the timing would be tight - if they cut down the port time I guess I won't be able to book it!!!

Will have to wait and check on upcoming itineraries to see if this is permanent or not!

Hope it's not a permanent change! I am looking forward to doing the Lamanai excursion in Belize - which is an independent tour - takes about 6 hours - and as it is the timing would be tight - if they cut down the port time I guess I won't be able to book it!!!

Will have to wait and check on upcoming itineraries to see if this is permanent or not!

I will also be on the Glory with KarenW this coming saturday. I emailed my PVP today but being the holiday I assume she may be off. She is very good about emailing me right back. So maybe tomorrow I will know from her. If not I will surely know Saturday!

I was on last week's cruise and we had booked the Belize Lamanai excursion as well. They cut it down to 5 hours, and we made it back with about 20 minutes to spare. The excursion was the highlight of my trip, but I was really disappointed it had to be cut short. If you can do it, I highly recommend that tour - even if it's cut short.

OK, folks. I don't think the panic is justified.

The original itineray was to be Belize on Tuesday from 8-5. Instead, we were there on Wednesday from 7:30-4:30. No difference in the amount of time in port.

Independent excursion operators are fully aware of the ship schedules. I mean, this is their livelihood we're talking about, right?

We booked independently on both Roatan and Belize, and did not attempt to contact either operator, but there they were, at the port, waiting for us.

On Tuesday, rather than be in Roatan from 8-3, we were there from 9:30-6, so we gained 1-1/2 hours.

I thought the change was just fine. I really don't know why anyone is upset about this.

I was on last week's cruise and we had booked the Belize Lamanai excursion as well. They cut it down to 5 hours, and we made it back with about 20 minutes to spare. The excursion was the highlight of my trip, but I was really disappointed it had to be cut short. If you can do it, I highly recommend that tour - even if it's cut short.

Thanks for the info - I am so looking forward to this particular tour and would hate to give it up.

Thanks Joan for clearing things up - I usually get some internet minutes so would probably contact tour operator anyways to let them know of any changes in timing/date. And I also would LOVE to have extra time in Roatan so that would make me extra happy! :D

I'm sure as this itinerary continues we will get more info on any changes!

I think Melvin (assistant waiter at table 112 (or was that 212)) who saw his wife for the first time in 4 months :D (on May 7 - the first week with Roatan on the itenerary) probably had a heart-to-heart talk with the captain and arranged it so he could have more time with her :) :) every other week. He sure had a "glow" (or after-glow) :eek: about him at supper on May the 7th!!!

OK, folks. I don't think the panic is justified.

I thought the change was just fine. I really don't know why anyone is upset about this.

Thanks for your explanation. It was great! In response to your last line in the above quote, some people enjoy getting pissed off about petty crap. I think the change is better, to be honest! Longer in Roatan would NOT be a bad thing. :cool:

Thanks for your explanation. It was great! In response to your last line in the above quote, some people enjoy getting pissed off about petty crap. I think the change is better, to be honest! Longer in Roatan would NOT be a bad thing. :cool:

:rolleyes: The "petty crap" I was worried about was that I'd prepaid $100 to a non-carnival excursion and had my reservation confirmed for the day we were SUPPOSED to be there. I'd never been on an excursion before and I had no idea if they'd even honor a different day. How was I supposed to know?

I think the change is great. I just wish I'd known about it 24 hours before I got on the boat.

I always ask about the cancellation policy and what happens if a) there is a change of date or b) the ship does not even dock at that port - which does sometimes happen.

Unless I get confirmation of a full refund I would not book with that specific tourguide.

I had some problems with this as well, because we got into port so early in Belize...I think it was 6 am their time, all the shops were closed when we landed. We had a private tour booked but they had to cut it short, and we sat around awhile waiting for our museum to open, cutting our actual excursion tour short to get us in and out in time. It's a risk you take with private excursions, but Carnival IMO didn't do the best job of informing us and helping out confused first timers. Also, I was unable to access my tour company on the internet, we had a pop up telling us Carnival blocked that site. So it just made for some stress for us since we were first timers, and it was last minute. From what everyone says though, Roatan was the highlight for most people. Personally I adored Belize.

Thats why I like booking excursions thru the ship just so you are protected if you don't make it to port. Lots of things can cause a change in itinerary. For our Mexican Riviera cruise, the switched ports for us too. Thanks to cruise critic boards, we found out about the swap in advance and the reason was because too many ships were scheduled to be in port at Mazatlan we had to swap days. Turned out okay for us.

I think the change is great. I just wish I'd known about it 24 hours before I got on the boat.

I see your point Jeepjules, and if it had happened to me without warning, I'd have been a little pissed too. Monday morning quarterbacking is always easier! :D For this very reason I'm thinking of not booking any excursions before we get to the ports. You can always find them, usually at the dock, and they are also usually cheaper. Plus, no worries about cancellations or itinerary changes.

Glad it worked out for you. ;)

Not sure which day you were supposed to be in Belieze, but the 24th was a national holiday. We had something like that happen the week before. We were scheduled to go in to Freeport, but no pilot came out so it became a day at sea. Out Nassau stay was cut short.

Archived