Pickpocketed!

lakeluvr

Daughter just got pickpocketed in Barcelona this morning - you can read details in my post under the PORTS message board. :eek:
Is Nassau safe as far as crowds and pickpockets? We leave on our cruise on Tuesday, and now I'm paranoid!
BTW, she did all the right things, except didn't have a security pouch under her clothes.... :mad:
Thanks!
Lisa

[b]I've been to Nassau several times, twice by cruiseship, and I've never had any problems. Like everywhere, you have to be mindful of your surroundings and the situation and crowds. Don't become paranoid - just be careful.... and enjoy Nassau! It's a beautiful and historic island.[/b]

Two years ago in Barcelona, we were warned by our tour guide to be on the watch for pick pockets. He was much more emphatic than any of our guides had been in other cities. I moved my wallet from my hip pocket to a front pocket to make it a little more difficult to get to.

We were watching the dancing water and light display when a young woman came up to me and said that she thought someone behind me was trying to get my wallet. She then just melted into the crowd. I suspect that she was hoping I would reach for the pocket that had my wallet to check that it was still there and that would let the pickpocket know where it was. I didn't take the bait, but did try to keep a little more space around me. My wallet returned to the ship with me. You have to really be on the alert. They can be pretty sneaky.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Barcelona is one of the worst cities for pick-pockets. We have been there several times and never had a problem.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]On one of our cruises there, we warned everyone at our dinner table to be careful in Barcelona since none of them had ever been there. We told about about how some women will walk ina group of 3 pretending to read newspapers and bump into you, lifting wallets or anything else they can get their hands on. One woman at our table thought we were making up the story and made a face at us. The evening that we were leaving Barcelona, her husband and she were the last to arrive at the table. She was all black and blue. Her husband and she were got separated and they knocked her to the ground and stoll her wallet - credit cards - passport - everything. We never said a word to her - just smiled.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]We have never had a proble in Nassau - been there many times.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]But like it has been said - you just have to take precautions whereever you go.[/color][/font][/b]

Bob Arno (I think that was his name) was an entertainer on the Millie in June. He had just done a show for one of the magazine type shows on pickpoceting. He was very effective in showing how things can be taken from people without them ever knowing. He said that people will target those who seem unconcerned, and may stay away from those who are more vigilent.

The wife and I spent four days in Bacelona last May. The only time anyone spoke english to us was when my wife got piegon dropping on her back. We went the other way when the person wanted to get us "water". Thats the clue folks, if they speak english they want something or are setting you up. The rest of the trip went without incident, but you do need to keep your guard up. Tim

I have never been pickpocketed and had no problem in Barcelona, but I know that you have to be careful anywhere. especially in crowded areas where your attention is distracted such as markets or shows. As a result, I usually wear a fanny pack and just take what I think I will need.

Barcelona is known to have a pickpocket problem, but so are many other places. For example, in the Bahamas, you have to watch your valuables in the straw market. Pickpockets are also a big problem in the Acapulco, especially in the flea market. Our cab driver had a relative keep an eye on us which made us a little nervous. We thought that he was doing it to steer us to stores (which he did not do) or get a tip (which we gave him). Or possibly that our driver wanted to make sure that we didn't get lost since we had arranged for him to take us back to the ship. However we were grateful later when we found out that another passenger from our ship had had the bottom of her purse cut out

My FIL and his wife were going into Paris on the Metro from the airport and he had his wallet stolen. He thinks it was by some older 11-12 yr old gipsy type kids that were walking through the train. He was speaking to his friends that were with them and didn't pay much attention to the kids when they brushed past him. There was some announcements/or notices in the airport and Metro station, but of course he didn't think it would happen to him. Luckily, he managed to cancel his credit cards before they could be used.

During my career in the Canadian Army I have had the joy to visit 42 countries. Yes some are worse than others for crime based upon the poverty level and the government of the day. Just take the appropriate precautions where ever you are and all will be fine. Don't carry a wallet in your back pocket, don't carry a purse that doubles as carry on luggage and never flash big bills! I take one piece of ID, normally my passport tucked well into a front pocket and enough money folded into the other to get me by. I usually carry a credit card in yet another pocket and only use it when I have to. Just be carefull out there.

Tourist are targets everywhere because, obviously we are going to have some money to spend. We can also sometimes be easily distracted. Before we travel, we purchase a small travel guide that include tons of useful information, including safety precautions specifically for the country or city we are in. For example, in Barcelona the locals eat dinner later than most of us in the US do, starting around 9:00 p.m. Later dinners are true in much of Europe, but this was a bit later than other places I have been. Tourists tend to eat earlier and the thieves & pickpockets are out there waiting for them. We used the Metro in Paris quite often and never had a problem, but I told my husband I felt a little uncomfortable because I noticed women staring at me several times. He said he noticed they were looking at my jewelry, especially my diamond engagement & wedding rings. After he said that, I noticed that they did seem to be just looking at the jewelry. Mine isn't usually flashy, but we noticed that it was a bit more than most women that were on the Metro wore. Point is, tourists stand out and we should always be careful & aware of our surroundings.

I wear only costume jewelry when I travel. Many people in many parts of the world speak English, I don't find that to be a clue that I'm being "set up". I found that comment funny.

The experts say that wearing a fanny pack is a dead give away that you're a tourist but I like mine being right there in front of me. Also, like someone else said, don't keep all your "stuff" in the same place. I'll keep a few dollars in my fanny pack and the bulk of my money and/or travelers checks in my bra on the left.....credit card on the right. I used to keep some money in my draws until one fateful day when I flushed a twenty.

Dolly :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Pickpockets are everywhere.. Everywhere there are tourists.. In St. Thomas.. a friend had her arm broken when someone just yanked at her shoulder bag..
and she resisted..

When I was in Italy and France.. Gypsies were everywhere.. they worked in groups of 2 and up.. sometimes.. spreading out on wide sidewalks so we would have to walk thru them.. (we just stepped off the sidewalk and faced death by car rather than be robbed..) they knew we knew..

I saved a gentleman who was about to lose his wallet in France.. a little boy came up to him flapping a piece of cardboard.(this is a popular one) of course the cardboard eventually lands even with his belt.. so that his accomplice whose eyes never left the victim could reach under the cardboard and get his wallet..

I ran towards the guy shouting your being robbed and I knocked the cardboard away to see the little guy with his hand in the gentlemans pocket..
fortunately they ran away.. and he had his wallet intact..

Flapping newspapers and cardboard.. stay away from.. !!LOL

After a while we learned to spot them before they spotted us.. and we would look at them and shake our heads.. so that they would know to stay away..

Another time you are an easy mark.. is when you have both hands busy taking still photos or filming something with your camcorder.. while your looking in the lens.. someone might be lifting your wallet..

Another popular trick apparently is for one of the team to spill ice cream or similar on you, a second to make a big show of helping you clean up, whilst the third picks your pocket while you are distracted. This scam has been widely publicised here in the UK newspapers.

As everyone says, it can happen anywhere, and vigilance is the only defence.

Archived