Tropical Weather Clothes for Hiking

iflyrc5

We are doing a cruise that spends 7 days up the Amazon in Nov 08. We are looking for lightweight clothing that will wick away the moisture and be easy to wash in the sink each night. Looking of long sleeve shirt and pants. Any advice on brands or type of clothing is appreciated.

Columbia is a pretty popular, readily available brand. I have a couple of their wicking, UV Protectant tops, and several pairs of shorts. DH has some super durable kayaking shorts that apparently cannot be destroyed. They have different fabrics that will dry quickly, too. You can find Columbia in all kinds of sporting goods stores (Dicks, Sports Authority, Gallians, etc.), plus in different department stores.

You may want to check out Mountain Equipment Co-Op. They are in Canada, but their website will give you ideas for different brands and features. I checked out their website and they have clothing that is designed for heat, humidity, rain, cold, wind, brambles, bush, etc., etc.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_main_womens.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395860405&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474395860405&bmUID=1211839808929

Hope this helps!

We get lots of our wicking-fabric clothing from STP and Campmor as well as the REI clearance section:

www.sierratradingpost.com

www.campmor.com

Both these websites have sections called active/outdoor wear that have lots of appropriate clothing.

Campmor sells its own brand that is similar in style & quality to Columbia. Matter of fact, I need to go re-order a shirt from Campmor--a trekking shirt I bought my husband for his April birthday (in preparation for our Panama Canal cruise in the fall) was too big so I returned it and I need to order the next smaller size.....

I'll agree with most of what is already written. I'm a member of both REI and MEC. The selection is bigger at REI, but sometimes the MEC private label items are cheaper than the REI brand. When the exchange rate was pro-US, I would take an extra bag on my trips up to Calgary to buy my winter goods at MEC.

Definitely check out the pants with the zip-off option, so you have both long pants and shorts. One website, Sahalie (http://www.sahalie.com), actually has a pair of 3-way zip pants (long, capri, shorts). I bought a pair before my hiking krip to Italy last year - very useful.

There are some excellent lightweight long=sleeve shirts out there that button down and have rollup sleeves and venting. Ex-Officio comes to mind, as well as the REI brand. I think TravelSmith had them, too.

If you some short sleeve or tanks, the Athleta website (http://www.athleta.com) has some really nice ones in a stretchy cotton mesh. I've got a few of them and they feel wonderful.

Something else to consider - your footwear. You might want something waterproof/GoreTex. Soggy feet are not fun when you're hiking.

Summit Hut has a website with a huge selection. Columbia, Mountain Hard Ware, Ex Officio, Royal Robbins, etc. I like the shirts with long sleeves that can roll up into tabs to elbow-length, also the long pants that zip off into shorts. The stuff I have is pricey, but lasts for years!

Archived