Here's a hot one: tipping

Peregrina651

I have a very specific question about tipping tour guides.

When I was growing up, I learned that when you go to the hair salon (beauty parlor, was what my mother said) if the person who does your hair is the owner, you don't tip him/her.

My question is if this rule of thumb also applies to tour guides? If your tour guide owns the company (or is a one man show), does she/he get a tip as well as his fee?

I know that everyone has an opinion on this topic but I would particularly like to hear what people who have been in this situation have done. Did you add a tip to the fee? If you had planned not to tip but did, can you say why you did? Or vice versa, planned to tip but didn't?

I'm interested in your opinions but I am even more interested in your tour guide/owner tipping experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

The basic rule and etiquette of tipping says that you never tip an owner. It is also considered impolite for an owner to request or even suggest a tip for themselves.

B&B owners for example, should never be tipped, nor should they request a tip. Only the maid/housekeeper should be tipped at a B&B. We run a B&B and anytime someone has left a tip I have donated the money to a charity.

I have a very specific question about tipping tour guides.

When I was growing up, I learned that when you go to the hair salon (beauty parlor, was what my mother said) if the person who does your hair is the owner, you don't tip him/her.

My question is if this rule of thumb also applies to tour guides? If your tour guide owns the company (or is a one man show), does she/he get a tip as well as his fee?

I know that everyone has an opinion on this topic but I would particularly like to hear what people who have been in this situation have done. Did you add a tip to the fee? If you had planned not to tip but did, can you say why you did? Or vice versa, planned to tip but didn't?

I'm interested in your opinions but I am even more interested in your tour guide/owner tipping experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

This is a really excellent question. My barber, who is the owner, has not raised his fees as long as I can remember. Yet his rent must be going up. I now tip him and he graciously accepts.

We dine at a family owned restaurant. The brother cooks, one sister helps in the kitchen and one sister is the waitress. It is BYOB and they always delight in opening our wine bottle. We tip and it is again graciously accepted.

I have been on tours where the owner is the guide, such as a photo shoot in Barbados. While he did not ask for tips, I learned so much more about photography that I tipped him. Again it was graciously accepted.

In some countries tipping is generally not an accepted practice, except maybe to roundup a fee or fare. Then we do as the Romans do.

I would recommending checking the local customs wherever you might visit. Frommer's and other similar guidebooks tend to provide useful information as to whether it is appropriate to tip. For example, in Chile, Frommer says that the customary tip in restaurants is 10%. Taxi drivers and hair stylists don't receive tips. Gas station attendants are tipped 200 - 400 pesos, something we do not do in the United States. Bellhops are tipped $2-$3.

Hope this helps. I suggest using your own judgment as long as it doesn't go against local practice.

I met some people from England on a cruise of Alaska, and they asked me about tipping. I told them the norm..and they said don't do that much there. They were kind of shocked. They thought it was a lot.

However, in New Zealand, a couple from England was on a tour, and they were much more generous than I was. I was surprised when they said how much they were tipping. We became good friends on the trip. I should email and ask them. I kind of asked that day because I was unsure what I should tip, and to me they tipped a lot. Now, I wonder if maybe they weren't sure themselves and thought it was standard.

I didn't realize you didn't tip owners of salons. I got to a little trailer like place (think double wide) and she charges $45 for a quick cut that takes 20 minutes. I only tip $5 because it doesn't take long. Now, I feel less guilty. She is the only one that cuts hair there.

Thank you all for your responses so far.

Gosh, I wish we would hear from some one who has toured in SA and who will tell us how they handled tipping with a private guide.

I'll just keep asking.;)

Glad you asked.;)

We just did a 35-day itinerary starting in Buenos Aires and ending in Seattle. I arranged quite a few private tours in South America. I think it's safe to say that no SA tour guide--"owner" or not--will be offended by your offering a tip. We tipped each and every time for jobs very well done.

I hope you enjoy your trip. We certainly did and hope to repeat a visit to South America someday!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived