what to pack/ things to do when yoard the ship

When I was preparing for my last cruise 3 years ago, I remember a list of what to bring on a cruise. Anyone know where to find that list or have any suggestions? Also, I know there are a number of things to take care o when you board the ship. Can anyone help me with this so that I don't forget anything? Thanks.

On the first page of the Cruise Forum Boards at the bottom is a topic titled Cruise Rituals, look through that for packing hints.

Take in your carryon anything you might need until you get into your cabin, but don't pack too much because you will have to drag it around the ship for an hour.

We always stop and get a drink card, not a requirement, purchase a welcome cocktail and sit down by a window and relax for a few minutes. If you think you are going to one of the specialty restaurants and know which night, go ahead and make reservations. Have lunch at the Windjammer, by then your cabin should be available, find it check it out and go explore the ship.

Have a great cruise.

Because you can't use your cell phones on the ship - we bring sticky notes and if we are going in different directions on sea days - we leave notes on the door or mirror in the cabin. Big help with teens.

You asked about the first things to do once you are onboard...it used to be booking your specialty dining and spa appts as soon as you board...but now doesn't RCCL have the specialty dining reservations online? If you want your spa appt at a specific time/day, book that right away. If you are flexible, then wait for specials to come out later in the week.

I did book the specialty restaurant online. So far rom everything I've read, I need to check my table and seating in the dining room, make my spa appointment if I want one on at At Sea day and wait til we sail to purchase the soft drink plan for the kids (in order to avoid paying tax). Is there anything else I'm missing?

We have learned to pack a lot less. We only brought one garment bag and a suitcase on our last cruise. The top priority for us is to get on board and walk out onto the pool or upper deck. We turn our cell phones off, then we try to make a conscious effort to take a deep breath, look around and say "We are on a cruise!" That helps get rid of all of the stress of packing, flying, tying up loose ends at work and the other stuff that happens pre-cruise. Then we grab a cocktail at the pool bar and head to the spa for appointments and the specialty restaurants if we plan to go to these. The specialty restaurant reservations can now be done online though.

We hit the Windammer for lunch and then check out the cabin. Boarding as early as we can lets us extend the cruise bu a few hours and we can get great photos before the crowds arrive.

The most important thing is to get right into the mindset that no matter the weather or other inconveniences like a cancelled shore excursion (we had one cancelled on our cruise last week), a missed port, a few rude passengers etc., nothing will spoil your cruise. Go with the flow and enjoy whatever comes your way. :cool:

Eric

Great advice, thanks. It's so easy to get caught up in the planning and rushing around. The most important thing is your state of mind. Thanks for reminding me.

We enjoy the planning and anticipation, but then comes crunch time right before the cruise. :eek: Develop a little stress relief ritual of your own when you get on board. We try to have the mindset that you have to work really hard to not have a great cruise. As long as the ship makes it back in relatively one piece, it was a good cruise for us! :D

Enjoy your next cruise! You deserve it! :cool:

Eric

I'll take your advice. I can practically feel the tension melting away. Thanks again. Oh, and I love the picture of your cat.

Thanks. I can't claim that photo as mine. It was e-mailed to me by one of our friends. I resized it and figured it would make a good avatar. The lime makes me think of mojitos. ;) My DW has it as her PC wallpaper at work. We call him "lime cat."

Eric

Archived