Day beach in Cabo

Diane F

• 3 weeks later...

BOB7,

Just wanted to formally thank you for all your research on this thread and on the other 2 ports. I am a first time cruiser and I have found your information to be invaluable. I appreciate you sharing and keep up the good work! I look forward to your trip review when you return.

:)

Me - Too. This thread has proved invaluable to me - I am leaving in 2 days - Looking for something to do -in cabo - My friend says that "plaza Las Glorias" ???now called Costa reale is good - for fish tacos etc. I would appreciate anyone whos been there - opinion.?

Thanks for all the tips !!!!

BOB7,

Just wanted to formally thank you for all your research on this thread and on the other 2 ports. I am a first time cruiser and I have found your information to be invaluable. I appreciate you sharing and keep up the good work! I look forward to your trip review when you return.

:)

Thx for the kind words! We're back, there was no buffet on the plane so we had time to write a cruise review :-) and will post it shortly. These ports were great, tons of things to do, the resorts were lovely. Back here soon,

-Bob

Thx for the kind words! We're back, there was no buffet on the plane so we had time to write a cruise review :-) and will post it shortly. These ports were great, tons of things to do, the resorts were lovely. Back here soon,

-Bob

Bob7.....we are back from the PRIDE just today. What ship did you take? You decided against the PRIDE for some reason....or am I confusing you with someone else?

Anyway....the PRIDE for us was AWESOME! Best customer service we have ever had on any vacation or ANY ship!

We went to the Mango Deck for our Cabo stop. We took a water taxi over and they plopped us right in front. One of the waiters spotted us and greeted us and noticed we had two kids and asked if we wanted him to set up a little spot for us with chairs, unbrellas, etc. My husband said yes and the rest is blissful history. We were waited on the rest of the day. As we were leaving to catch the ship, I noticed the beaches were getting kind of rowdy in our area....lots of college kids, but only a couple of hotels down from the Mango Deck was peace and quiet and no crowding. Just tons of options for whatever you want. By the way, the Mango Deck had GREAT food and yummy drinks. 2 for 1 price! Oh, and with everything we ate, drank and tipping for service, our day came to a whopping $23. Not bad for CABO!

Hey CQ, welcome back! It wasn't me that decided against the Pride, yer getting yer men mixed up, I'm your OTHER boyfriend, the one on the RCI Vision, same week, ports in reverse order. Hey we think we saw your ship, behind us on the return leg, a CCL ship was following us for awhile, we would have appeared ahead of you on the right side. (All your cruisemates appeared to be plastered ... our captain didn't want to get too close).

Yes Cabo was wonderful, we went to the Melia Resort near the Mango, the one with the large rubberized mattresses on platforms with outdoor pillows. Yes lots of spring breakers there, but no problem. Lovely looking out at the ship anchored in the bay huh? I can't believe you had enough to drink for $23, you must have finished off everyone else's drinks too! The spring breakers probably had to carry you back to the tender.

Did you do resorts in PV or Maz? We did the El Cid Castilla in Maz and the Krystal in PV.

-Bob

Hey Bob7.........yep, my husband accuses me of getting "my men" confused and mixed up all the time.....I really need to work on that.....lol!!!

We did the Jungle ziplines in PV.....YIKES!!

We rode with Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan....nice day.

I do remember seeing a ship next to us the way back.....we couldnt quite make out which cruiseline. How did you like the Vision? We are ready to plan the next cruise and don't know if we should try another line or not?? If they could all be as great as the PRIDE........man oh man!

ciship

Hi CQ, the Vision was fine, but in 9 cruises we've never been on a ship we didn't like, maybe we're just too easy. You know the saying, "The worst day on a cruise ship is better than the best day at the office." So we always plan by ports and prices. The only line we've stayed away from is Princess, because they always have so little time in port, they often leave port around mid afternoon, 3pm! Bummer. And we stay away from the itineraries that spend a day at some private island/beach/cay, seems like a wasted stop, we can find a beach in a port if we want to.

RCI had some nice features, 5 alternate entrees each night as well as the 5 or 6 regular entrees. And they didn't put the tips on your ship card unless you signed up for that. If you did, they give you vouchers to put in the tip envelopes (showing you paid) so you can give them out. And finally a ship with strong enough drinks. Others ships ya couldn't even get a buzz. The Capt said she's gonna be cut in half and lengthened in 06, 140 more cabins.

What impressed you about the Pride? Hey how windy was it on deck? ... I'd have blown away if I hadn't wiped out the buffet!

-Bob

Hey Bob.......yeah, we thought it was awfully windy on deck 9 and 10 especially all week long.......but, the pools maintained a gentle breeze.

My favorite thing about the PRIDE was the service and the greetings and the smiles. These folks have got to be sleep deprived and exhausted, but they never let us know it. We had TOP notch service all week. Very impressive!!!

DH and I are searching already for the next cruise. Help us out. Where should we go, what ship would you recommend in your experience? We have done Western Carribean and of course Mexico. We want to stay in the warmer climates for now. We think all the ships are beautiful and we figure you can always find some good food somewhere on each ship. We really go for service mostly. Our last cruise on the Conquest was just a really bad experience with all the staff. No one was happy on that ship! It was wierd!! I'll be anxious to hear what you suggest.

Christi

Hi Bob,

Leaving for Cabo and PVR next week on NCL Star.

We are very interrested in the Melia Beach Day. Did you take a taxi (land or water?) Were the drinks expensive? Any problems getting a sunbed on the beach or by the pool?

In PVR, at the Krystal, was it abound with cruise passangers. Did you have access to loungers by pool and beach and how were the drink prices?

Cant wait to leave and glad your cruise went well. Hope RCI measures up to NCL. Thanks in advance.

Hi Bob,

Leaving for Cabo and PVR next week on NCL Star.

We are very interrested in the Melia Beach Day. Did you take a taxi (land or water?) Were the drinks expensive? Any problems getting a sunbed on the beach or by the pool?

In PVR, at the Krystal, was it abound with cruise passangers. Did you have access to loungers by pool and beach and how were the drink prices?

Cant wait to leave and glad your cruise went well. Hope RCI measures up to NCL. Thanks in advance.

Hey we cruised the Star in Hawaii, loved that ship. Great alternate restaurants, we loved the French one, forget the name, extra charge was only $10 I think. And the one that did Asian Fusion had a great menu, they did discounts on it later in the cruise to get ppl in, didn't have to twist my arm.

Here's a link to our whole cruise review with port info:

http://www.mytripreport.com/display.php?reportid=3409

To get to the Melia you can take either a land taxi for $6 or a water taxi for about $3. If you go by land you get to see more of the town, but it's a pretty ride by boat too. The boats don't dock, they come up to the beach and you step in about a foot of water to get ashore, ok in flip flops, not great for better shoes or runners.

The drinks were about $4, more than the bars but all the good resorts are a bit more. They sometimes have 2 for 1, but the total still seems higher, about $7. Yes it was pretty crowded after lunch, but there were 2 sunbeds free at the pool, and 1 or 2 at the beach. They are in pairs, so there will be other ppl lying on the one next to you, same idea as loungers all together I guess. Got some good shots of the resorts, will get them up on the Net in a few weeks, here's the links: http://community.webshots.com/user/rob42ca

and ttp://community.webshots.com/user/bob42ca, probably at the first link.

And you can always check out the Pueblo Bonito right next to the Melia, cruisers said it was nice, and it looks great when I walked by, and they also welcome day use cruisers. The Melia web site is on the Sol Melia Hotels, you could Google that, and here's the link to the Bonito: http://www.pueblobonito.com/sunset_beach/

Also, the Hacienda Beach Resort on the other side of the Melia accepts day use cruisers, someone posted that they got an email from the Hacienda welcoming them to stop by. It looked ok too, maybe not as fancy as the Melia and Bonito.

Yes there were lots of ship towels on the loungers at the Krystal, and crews go there too, (but don't have ship towels). If we bumped into our cabin steward I was gonna straighten out his towel and lounger, and make a napkin animal for him. It was also pretty crowded after lunch, but not hard to find one lounger, take that one and let your DH toot around and find another one to drag over. Lovely pools, nice underwater loungers in the pool, cute submerged shelf, nice swim-up bar, lovely grounds. Drinks were $4.50 for a fairly weak pina colada, not very big either.

-Bob

WOW, you all have provided such great information. We are cruising on the Sapphire in December and I have gotten great ideas on where to go for a wonderful beach day. We have never been to Cabo and I am so excited now!!!!!!! You have made my stop in Cabo alot less stressful and now I can relax and have fun in the sun all day long!!!!!!!

THANK YOU

CHANDA

Hey Bob,Thanks for all the info!!Off on the Vision in 9 days!! WooHoo cant wait.We are on Randis Happy Horses in Mazatlan but other than that are just going to explore the other Ports so thanks for all the info on Cabo.:)

My review of the PRIDE Part III reviews Randi's Happy Horses. We were just with her last week. I would attach it for you if I could figure out how to link something..... :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Off the Mercury May 4-15, spend a few hours at Melia, no charge, had ship towels. Told them where we were from and ordered drinks, no problem.

Used the beds by the pool and the swim up bar, loved it!

Did the same at Westin Hotel -Nikki Beach in PV too.

Next time, we are flying down for a longer stay at the Melia San Lucas. Most Rooms overlook the Arcos.

Loved the Music at Nikki Beach too. No time for food. Loved the floating double beds in the pool!!

Had breakfast at The Offfice is good. Sit back from beach to avoid peddlers.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recieved this mails from Hacienda and Melia in Cabo San Lucas:

Hacienda:

WE ARE SORRY BUT THE HOTEL HACIENDA WILL CLOSE THE OPERATIONS ON SEP . 15 FOR GOOD

Melia:

The beach in front of the hotel is public and there is a restaurant at the pool that is also public. Otherwise, the hotel does not sell or allow day passes (pool use).

Who offers a beach day for cruisers?????

Hey Moets, wow things are changing there. I wonder if the Hacienda is just changing hands, maybe someone bought them out.

Perhaps the Melia is clamping down on non-guests, or that email could be just their official policy, but I'd still go the girl at the pool kiosk, and offer a $5 or $10 tip for her to find you a lounger or cabana and see what happens. They'd hate turning down a tip, and it's a long way from management to the pool :-))

If she says she can't, I'd try the Pueblo Bonito next door, it looked great and cruisers have gone there for free, as long as you order something, drinks &/or snacks.

Also, several cruisers have stayed the day for free at the Finnisterra, other side of the harbor, lovely series of pools, nice web page, we just about went there. You can walk it from the tender dock, just up the hill, a past message in this thread tells about it I think, member name might have been Ed something. If you can't find it let me know, it might still be in my cruise folder.

-Bob

• 2 weeks later...

any luck with day hotel for cabo or mazatlan or puerto vallarta? we're going december thanks, linda

Hi Di, we were thinking of the same thing, we like to go back and forth from the pool to the beach, and some ppl are happy throwing a towel on the sand, but we like a lounger and umbrella (and strong but cheap drinks :-))

The ones that look good are the Hacienda, Melia San Lucas, Solmar Suites Hotel, and the new Playa Grande Resort. We were going to email them to see if they take day guests, but haven't yet, we don't go till March. Have you got any more info yet?

-Bob

Archived