Day beach in Cabo

Diane F

any luck on day hotels cabo, puerto vallarta or mazatlan? thanks, linda

Bob,

We are going on the Pride March 13th. We figured we would just do the beach there also (we arent shoppers). Please keep us posted on your research and I will do some of my own as well and keep it on these boards.

cq

any luck on day hotels cabo, puerto vallarta or mazatlan? thanks, linda

Yes for all 3. In Cabo cruisers are welcome for free at the Melia, the Pueblo Bonito, and the Finnisterra. Hacienda also but a cruiser posted they closed mid Sept. They might have changed hands. Scroll back thru this thread for directions and comments from other cruisers.

In PV the Krystal is great, short walk from the ship, free to cruisers and crew. And in Maz take a $10 cab to the El Cid Castilla in the Golden Zone. Ignore the timeshare ppl in the lobby and take a lounger at the pool or beach, a waiter will be there real quick, and tell him you are paying cash for drinks and snacks. He'll even get you towels (he needs some ID for that, which you get back when you take the towels back to the towel kiosk).

Shots of all three are at this link of our cruise pics in the Mex Riv album:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rob42ca

-Bob

• 2 weeks later...

So how much are the drinks at the Mango Bar? What are the two for one prices as well? Did they charge you for loungers there? Are there any umbrellas as well? Also I heard someone mention clean restrooms. I believe this was at the Mango Bar, but what about the melia resort? Did they ahve clean restrooms as well? We might spend some time at the bar by the beacha nd then the rest of the time up by the hotel and in their pool. That is if they still allow it. From what it sounds like you can go in the ocean here, but I just want someone to confirm it offically for me. Thanks for your help. I want to know everything before we decide to set our plans.

• 4 months later...

ok...i have read and re-read all the posts...can someone give me a bottom line here...

finisterra or melia???? we kind of want to be able to get away from our "group" and just be a couple for the day...

how long was the walk to finisterra? i have stayed at solmar before and that was a long walk into town...

how much would a cab ride be?

thanks...

ok...i have read and re-read all the posts...can someone give me a bottom line here...

finisterra or melia???? we kind of want to be able to get away from our "group" and just be a couple for the day...

how long was the walk to finisterra? i have stayed at solmar before and that was a long walk into town...

how much would a cab ride be?

thanks...

We checked out La Melia this past Oct, and said we would stay there in a heartbeat. If you get tired of just relaxing in the sun there, you can take a walk down the beach and hit the beach clubs like The Office or The Mango Deck.

Kell: if you want privacy and seclusion the Finnisterra is best, there won't be ship or beach crowds there, and it has a series of 3 or so gorgeous pools on different levels. But you can't go in the ocean there, way too rough with an undercurrent. Here's one link to shots of it showing the pools:
[url]www.prowest.com/finisterra.htm[/url]
and here's another link:
[url]www.finisterra.com/htdocs/index.html[/url]
Here's a link to a Cabo map:
[url]www.loscabosguide.com/maps/pics/cabo-san-lucas-map-04.jpg[/url]
The tender drops you off at the Main Dock, where the #10 and #21 are. You can see the Finnisterra on the other side of the Blvd, just walk up the hill a bit and turn left just about where the letter V is in the word Boulevard. As you can see the Solmar is a further walk to town, and the Finn is a pretty short walk, other cruisers did it with kids no prob. A cab to town might be a few bucks, it's $6 to the Melia.

The cool thing about the Melia is the tanning mattresses and pillows in the cabannas, but rolling around on them tends to spill yer beer.
-Bob

[quote name='LHP']I noticed "somewhere" ( I have read so many websites I am dizzy) QUOTE]

This is just how I feel. I can't remember anything now. I think I'm on information overload! But it sure is fun!

[quote name='LHP']I noticed "somewhere" ( I have read so many websites I am dizzy) that the day pass for Melia San Lucas was $30 per person US. Is that still the rate?[/QUOTE]
The Melia was free when we were there last year, and others have reported it's still free, haven't read any posts that they charge now. If they ask for a fee, go next door to the Pueblo Bonito (white resort, to the left of the Melia when facing the ocean), some cruisers went there for free. Go to the girl at the Melia pool kiosk, tip her and ask her to set you up with loungers or a cabana which she was delighted to do for us, and she'll get you a waiter too. The Hacienda on the other side of the Melia was also free, but they closed in Sept, no one has found out yet if they've reopened, but one cruiser said she'd check it out and let us know. Get there for lunch or shortly after, it can get crowded if you're there at holiday time.

Thanks Bob7.

I am so used to Cozumel where I know where everything is and what to expect. Cozumel is so tourist friendly, I guess I am hoping that Cabo will be the same. Of course, I realize tht Cabo has limited "swimable" beach front property and that is not the case with Cozumel. I can understand why hotel managers would not want their "residents" to feel like they are being invaded by thousands of "cruiseship" folks.

We will head for the kiosk and take it from there!!!

[quote name='LHP']Thanks Bob7.
I am so used to Cozumel where I know where everything is and what to expect. Cozumel is so tourist friendly, I guess I am hoping that Cabo will be the same. Of course, I realize tht Cabo has limited "swimable" beach front property and that is not the case with Cozumel. I can understand why hotel managers would not want their "residents" to feel like they are being invaded by thousands of "cruiseship" folks.We will head for the kiosk and take it from there!!![/QUOTE]
Actually there is lots of swimmable beach at Cabo, the Medano beach is very long, it just depends on whether the waves are high. They have a colored flag system telling people the safety level. On the day we were there the second worst safety level was flying, guys couldn't even boogie board, but ppl said it was often much calmer. Still there were some crazy ppl having fun in the waves, but no kids.

And I agree, resorts should do day passes if they don't have the space to handle it. The Melia and Bonito aren't huge, but a pretty good size. The Krystal in PV and the El Cid in Maz were huge, lots of space. We sat beside hotel guests at the Krystal, they answered our questions about PV and we told them stuff they wondered about cruising, and had a nice chat. They said it was interesting to see the cruise ppl, they got used to seeing the hotel guests, and it was fun seeing some new ppl come in every day. I guess they wouldn't have felt that way if loungers were scarce :-) And I would have felt bad having to throw some guests in the pool to get their loungers.

I am not sure where I read this but I beleive someone said a day pass at the RIU was $100!!! :eek: Way out of what I would like to spend since we are not in Cabo for the entire day. Does anyone else know if this is correct?
Mary Jane

Well I guess I read right! Here is the email I got back today from RIU:eek:
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Good Afternoon,

Thank you very much for your interest in Riu Hotels & Resorts.

Please be advised that Daily Passes are available directly at the Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas, and the approximate cost is $100 US per person per night for all day until midnight. No reservations in advance are required.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Prices may vary and are subject to change.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Warm Regards,[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Isabel Canto
Reservations Agent
Customer Service
[/SIZE][/FONT]

A cruiser who just got back from the Riv emailed me that they spent the day at the Melia, it was still free, and it was lovely. Resort next door to the right when facing the ocean was now open again, but not a fancy as the Melia (previously the Hacienda).

• 9 months later...
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Arial]This is the reply I got from [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Tahoma]Meliá Cabo San Lucas:[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Tahoma][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Arial]"The $35usd is a fee you have to pay for using the facilities.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Arial]It will be a credit for food and beverages if you want to have them if not it is just a fee to pay." Does any know what hotel offers free day pass for cruise passangers?[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='5683HUGGS'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Arial]This is the reply I got from [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Tahoma]Meliá Cabo San Lucas:[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Tahoma][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Arial]"The $35usd is a fee you have to pay for using the facilities.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Arial]It will be a credit for food and beverages if you want to have them if not it is just a fee to pay." Does any know what hotel offers free day pass for cruise passangers?[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#993366][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Too many cruisers I guess, finally had to start charging.
The other free ones were the Finnisterra, near the tender dock, and the Pueblo Bonito, the white one beside the Melia, you can see it (and the Melia) from where the ship anchors. Scroll up for links to them in earlier messages.
-Bob

Archived