Discovery - engine troubles causing itinerary changes

Goldryder

Had a message from my TA that Voyage of Discovery's ship 'Discovery' is suffering engine trouble. Apparently she has a crankshaft and/or bearing problem and that is not allowing her to cruise at normal speeds. As a result VOD is altering itineraries.

Not sure when the fault first occurred, just that my TA had a letter from VOD explaining the problem as he has a client on the ship at the moment on a Fjord cruise. Passengers are not happy as no OBC etc has been offered for ports dropped as a result of the mechanical difficulty.

No word as to when she will be repaired as her season is a busy one and parts are difficult to source. Anyone booked on her in the coming weeks should get a letter from VOD shortly before departure.

When we joined the Discovery in Barbados on April 26th, the following letter was in our cabin:

"We are sorry to advise you at this late stage of a change to your published itinerary."

"Discovery recently experienced problems with one of its four main engines while sailing up the Amazon. Initial reports indicated that repairs would have been completed by the time we were due to depart Barbados today. However, the engineers who boarded the ship in Barbados to assess the work carried out so far have given their final verdict this morning that more work has to be carried out before the engine can be put back into service. Work will continue on the engine 'on the run' as we cross the Atlantic but it is unlikely this will be finished before our arrival in Harwich."

"We must therefore plan to operate Discovery at a reduced speed. As a result it will be necessary for us to cancel calls at Horta and Angra do Heroismo in the Azores."

We were able to maintain an average of 15.5 kts. between Antigua and Horta (five plus sea days) and did manage to visit that port for five hours. From Ponta Delgada to Harwich took an additional four days at sea. So, what should have been an eight day crossing took just a bit under ten sea days.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back off the Discovery yesterday, having done the Fjords, Faroes, Fire and Ice itinerary (May 31st to June 11th). The Fjords and Faroes never materialized because of the slow speed of the ship (obviously still hasn't been fixed). We got a letter two days prior to our departure for the cruise (which was too late to cancel since we were coming from Canada). Needless to say, most of the passengers on board were VERY unhappy with the situation. I'm sure there will be a lot of complaints. On our 12 days cruise, which was supposed to be 6 ports (48 hours in port total), ended up being 4 ports with 30 hours in port. We were given $200. per person on board credit to make up for the change which all of us felt was an insult! On a positive note, the food, service and lectures on board were better than we expected. Now if they could just get this engine fixed.......

When we joined the Discovery in Barbados on April 26th, the following letter was in our cabin:

"Discovery recently experienced problems with one of its four main engines while sailing up the Amazon.

Initial reports indicated that repairs would have been completed by the time we were due to depart Barbados today.

However, the engineers who boarded the ship in Barbados to assess the work carried out so far have given their final verdict this morning that more work has to be carried out before the engine can be put back into service.

The only thing evident as being out of sorts when Discovery sailed into Barbados that morning..

was a sort of "Marine Priapism" if it might be so described! :D

- a forward crane erect at a jaunty angle...spoiling my photos of her,in large part!

See the pic below showing what I mean!

In the photos I selected for use on my website at URL..

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/cncisland/bigships/discovery.html

I resorted to Adobe Photoshop to remove the 'unsightly apendage'

enough to make useable two of the shots I selected!

The topmost shot I simply left it where it was,since it wasn't outlined against the sky...

============================

Around that same time,however

a small black-hulled cruise ship came into Port here

and she was obviously audibly clanking away!! :eek:

I think it was Saga Ruby? - 18th. March 2008

I remember thinking that maybe the embarrassing noise(audible from 200yds away!)

would be addressed while in Port,here at Barbados

but when I returned in the evening to take shots of her departing

she clanked her way out of Barbados

in the same manner she had, on her way in!

Don't know if anyone who was on board for that date

might shed any light on the situation..?!

Discovery,below

Discovery-2.jpg.f85addfe9ed78e25e93862f44fd65b60.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

VOYAGES OF DISCOVERY - MV DISCOVERY

We recently returned from "Land of the Midnight Sun" Norwegian cruise departed June 11th 2008. One engine remained out of action and speed was reduced throughout.

We were informed of the problem and changed itinerary just one week prior to departure although the problem apparently started back in March. The new route meant that we did not make first landfall until the fifth day. Owing to slow progress during the trip, it was decided to omit one port of call altogether. Two of the excursions were very rushed. This was a most disappointing cruise - just too much time at sea in a tired vessel and a company not being honest with its passengers - or at least not giving us timely information.

We asked to cancel but with just one week notice, none of the fare would not have been refunded. It seems that passengers on previous and susequent cruises were also given very short notice of the problems so they would also have had difficulty in cancelling.

The company made a £100 refund to full fare paying passengers. This is clearly not enough. An equitable amount would have been half the £1000 cost per person.

Staff on board were competent, cheerful and helpful. The problem seems to be at executive level.

Raggy

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any up to date info regarding Discovery and her engine trouble?

I understand she is back in service today but is she fit and well?

We are due to sail on her mid September and having been landed with £14.50pp pd fuel surcharge (after we had paid in full, but before the final due date) I am already less than impressed.

Now beginning to womder if she is going to be able to keeep to her schedule.

I am booked on the VOD for 43 days next March. As per a phone call with them a few days ago we are going to walk away from this line. The Idea that at the last minute they will come up with whatever fuel surcharge they want retroactivly for the total number of days hits we the wrong way. They will add at least $1700 pp for us and I am not sure they will even be in business by then. I was told many people have canceled and I will be one of those too. I know I will loose the dep but better to bite the bullet and be stranded someplace. I feel bad as it was to be my 50th birthday trip but we all must move on.

Sorry to hear you have lost your cruise Jig.

I am not really looking forward to this but my DH wants to keep with it so fingers crosssed.

I am sure you will find something else to book and possible get a better deal.

We are normally P&O cruisers and the base cost of this cruise was 50% dearer than a similar P&O cruise on a night for night basis. And there is no free laundry for a 3 week cruise!!:eek:

Currently according to AIS she is making 15 knots. That is her max under 3 engines, so chances are the 4th one is still out of action. She left for her current cruise, they have shortened port calls and added Hammerfest...possibly to break up the amount of sea time to give the engines a rest :rolleyes: (Yes, I am being cynical here).

• 2 weeks later...

I've just returned from the July 25th voyage, and can confirm that the ship was operating on three engines, making between 15 and 16 knots for the trip. We were advised the evening before sailing that one port would be dropped. We ended up calling at Bergen, Tromso, Honningsvag and Alta, plus the days at sea to rendezvous at 77 degrees North for the eclipse (sadly, fogged out). They also said that the problem with the fourth engine has been identified, but that they are waiting for parts delivery to fix it.

This was my second voyage on the Discovery (first in Spring, 2005). They do a superb job on enrichment lectures, and have unique offerings for people who enjoy small ships focusing on education rather than glitzy shows. I enjoy both, so don't limit myself to any one type of cruise.

Thanks to CruiseCritic, I was one of the very few passengers who knew about the engine troubles in advance. Even the travel agents who had dozens of people in their groups were caught off guard. They originally expected us to be late returning to Harwich, which would have disrupted quite a number of return flight plans. In the end, we arrived early enough to make it to the airport without any problem.

The compensation given was $400 per passenger, which has already been posted to my credit card account.

Hi KLC, Did they really give you $400. US per passenger for dropping one port? We were on the Discovery in May when they cut out one port and were unable to dock for another because of the change in itinerary (because of the one engine not working). It was very disappointing, however we liked the ship and food and lectures and have booked an Antarctic cruise for the end of December with them because of this. We were only given $200. US p/p and subsequently were offered 10% off a future sailing with them. I certainly hope that everything is fixed by then, and that they are still in business.

Hi KLC, Did they really give you $400. US per passenger for dropping one port? ...

Yes, the letter said the compensation would be 400USD per person, and that's what was credited to my account. I had read the earlier posts about the $200 amount, so I was surprised by what they gave us.

The engine has been out since early March 2008. Guests on earlier cruises (such as the one mentioned in the first post here) did not receive any form of compensation/OBC at all, not even a free bar for a day and they ended up dropping 3 ports.

VoD are handling this extremely badly, they need to put something on their website and they need to send TA's and direct booked guests letters long before final payment is due as they are not providing full itineraries.

The current cruise arrived in Flam (first port) almost 5 hours behind schedule today.

VoD need to be held accountable and they need to start admitting that they have a problem.

I took a cruise on the Discovery that started on December 28, 2004. I embarked in Buenos Aries and was supposed to spend the night on board the ship in the port of Buenos Aries and have the next day to explore the city before heading south for the Falkland Islands and Antarctica.

After boarding, we were told the ship would be leaving that night for the Falklands and Antarctica rather than staying in port because of some type of problem that forced the ship to operate at reduced speed. I do not know whether the problem is the same one that currently exists but clearly this type of itinerary change has happened before.

Trade media have done an article about this issue....

http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=61139&CMPI_SHARED_articleId=1111105&CMPI_SHARED_ImageArticleId=1111105&CMPI_SHARED_articleIdRelated=1111105&CMPI_SHARED_ToolsArticleId=1111105&CMPI_SHARED_CommentArticleId=1111105

We know that the ship has been giving trouble since March, as per Peter Knego's blog on Maritime Matters....yet VoD say its just the last 3 cruises...hmmmm...:rolleyes:

Discovery is meant to be going to Helsinki, then St Petersburg for an overnight and then to Tallinn.

She has left Stockholm but is going direct to Tallinn instead.

Not sure why they bother having itineraries, they might just as well stick a pin in a map :rolleyes:

I've had a few cruises on Discovery and always enjoyed them, I would think if the speed is reduced then readjustment of the calls to the ports would be carried out to give the best possible time in port for everyone.

May I ask what your gripe is with VOD if you haven't cruised on Discovery?

I would certainly sail on Discovery again,Vision of the seas had problems with one engine when I was on a cruise on there and we missed a port so it happens to ships whatever the age of ship.

Would all passengers who travelled aboard Voyages of Discovery's ship M/V Discovery between March and August 2008 and who had ports and/or itineraries changed due to engine trouble and who were notified by letter in the cabin of these problems please contact in writing:

Mr David Yellow, Managing Director

Voyages of Discovery

Lynnem house

1 Victoria Way

Burgess Hill

West Sussex

RH15 9NF

(England)

Please mark the envelope Discovery Engine Problem.

Please include the following information:

Sailing date

Cabin number

Number of persons in your party

Passenger name(s) in full

Amount of compensation and/or OBC and/or refund received as a result of your itinerary being changed.

This has been requested by Mr Yellow due to differences in amounts being reported which should not have been the case. For example, some passengers have reported $400 each, while others $200 each and many have reported not getting anything at all.

Thank you for your co-operation in this.

I've had a few cruises on Discovery and always enjoyed them, I would think if the speed is reduced then readjustment of the calls to the ports would be carried out to give the best possible time in port for everyone.

May I ask what your gripe is with VOD if you haven't cruised on Discovery?

I would certainly sail on Discovery again,Vision of the seas had problems with one engine when I was on a cruise on there and we missed a port so it happens to ships whatever the age of ship.

Unfortunately the problem has not been as well discussed on CC as it has on the site that I administer. Had you seen the large number of complaints about the ship and how VoD have kept quiet about the engine problem since March this year, then you might understand why people are upset by this.

The bearing was meant to have been replaced while the ship was in St Petersburg for two days, she left later than scheduled last night and was not repaired. Media have been following this for a couple of weeks and one extremely well known non tabloid has been told the bearing will be done today in Helsinki. Considering the fault has been present since March, several attempts to repair it have failed since then and a 2 week cruise was cancelled 3 days out in July...well you can imagine the level of suspicion. Add in that the company has never put anything on theie website about this problem and that only adds to the upset.

There is an article in today's Telegraph regarding this.

Discovery engine problem to be fixed

Voyages of Discovery has confirmed that an engine

problem that has dogged its ship for the last five

months will be fixed this week, reports Jane Archer.

By Jane Archer

Last Updated: 2:21PM BST 20 Aug 2008

The Discovery has been dogged by an engine problem for

five months

Voyages of Discovery said today that an engine problem

that has dogged its ship Discovery for the past five

months, causing itineraries to be changed and one

cruise to be cancelled, will be fixed this week.

Managing director David Yellow said attempts were made

three times to fix an engine bearing that broke in

March during a cruise on the Amazon, but each time the

engineers had the wrong sized bearing.

In July, one cruise was cancelled to allow more time

to fix the engine, but another problem was found and a

new bearing had to be custom-made. As the factory was

shut for August, another had to be found.

Yellow said: “We have had to change itineraries and

skip ports becauseb the ship is operating on three

engines instead of four, and we have only been able to

advise passengers at short notice because we have been

trying to fix the problem. It’s been a litany of

problems, but the part has been shipped to Helsinki,

where it will be fitted”.

Ally Jones of *****************, an online discussion

board which has been following Discovery’s problems,

is not convinced. “Last week they said the bearing

would be fitted while the ship was in St Petersburg.”

She said there have been a “vast number” of complaints

from passengers about the missed ports and lack of

information. “Voyages of Discovery had a great

reputation and it’s being shattered. No one can get a

clear answer from them and there is nothing on their

website about the engine fault. Many don’t get told of

port changes until they are on board. That’s not

fair.”

Jones said that overseas passengers have received up

to US$200 in on-board credit as compensation, but the

British have had nothing.

Yellow denied this and said: “We have offered everyone

the same compensation. It has been very frustrating

for us but now we have the part and the problem will

be resolved by Friday”.

Email this article

Print this article

Share this article

Related Content

Sailing the seas on meat and two veg

More on ...

Cruises Get feed updates

Travel News Get feed updates

Travel Get feed updates

COMMENTS: 1

Whilst it was good to see your article. I felt it

barely scratched the surface and little or no research

was done. Points in the article were also incorrect

and thus gave a wrong impression. I believe that at

one point overseas compensation had been $400 whilst

uk clients received �100. What about the

variety of fuel surcharges. Suggest you write a good

solid article not just a headline!!!! There is a real

situation here and it needs to be addressed.

karen

on August 20, 2008

at 03:04 PM

There is an article in today's Telegraph regarding this.

Discovery engine problem to be fixed

Voyages of Discovery has confirmed that an engine

problem that has dogged its ship for the last five

months will be fixed this week, reports Jane Archer.

By Jane Archer

Last Updated: 2:21PM BST 20 Aug 2008

The Discovery has been dogged by an engine problem for

five months

Voyages of Discovery said today that an engine problem

that has dogged its ship Discovery for the past five

months, causing itineraries to be changed and one

cruise to be cancelled, will be fixed this week.

Managing director David Yellow said attempts were made

three times to fix an engine bearing that broke in

March during a cruise on the Amazon, but each time the

engineers had the wrong sized bearing.

In July, one cruise was cancelled to allow more time

to fix the engine, but another problem was found and a

new bearing had to be custom-made. As the factory was

shut for August, another had to be found.

Yellow said: “We have had to change itineraries and

skip ports becauseb the ship is operating on three

engines instead of four, and we have only been able to

advise passengers at short notice because we have been

trying to fix the problem. It’s been a litany of

problems, but the part has been shipped to Helsinki,

where it will be fitted”.

Ally Jones of *****************, an online discussion

board which has been following Discovery’s problems,

is not convinced. “Last week they said the bearing

would be fitted while the ship was in St Petersburg.”

She said there have been a “vast number” of complaints

from passengers about the missed ports and lack of

information. “Voyages of Discovery had a great

reputation and it’s being shattered. No one can get a

clear answer from them and there is nothing on their

website about the engine fault. Many don’t get told of

port changes until they are on board. That’s not

fair.”

Jones said that overseas passengers have received up

to US$200 in on-board credit as compensation, but the

British have had nothing.

Yellow denied this and said: “We have offered everyone

the same compensation. It has been very frustrating

for us but now we have the part and the problem will

be resolved by Friday”.

Email this article

Print this article

Share this article

Related Content

Sailing the seas on meat and two veg

More on ...

Cruises Get feed updates

Travel News Get feed updates

Travel Get feed updates

COMMENTS: 1

Whilst it was good to see your article. I felt it

barely scratched the surface and little or no research

was done. Points in the article were also incorrect

and thus gave a wrong impression. I believe that at

one point overseas compensation had been $400 whilst

uk clients received �100. What about the

variety of fuel surcharges. Suggest you write a good

solid article not just a headline!!!! There is a real

situation here and it needs to be addressed.

karen

on August 20, 2008

at 03:04 PM

Yep..she contacted me this morning asking if she could quote me. Travel Trade Gazette did an article last Friday after Lee Hayhurst had contacted me. David Yellow said that the bearing would be done in St Petersburg on Monday/Tuesday this week....Jane was told it will be done by this weekend...go figure.

The site I administer has a huge thread going on it and others from those let down by VoD. The site is mentioned in Janes article.

Thanks Ally I have looked on there very interesting!

On an unrelated VoD issue has anyone tried asking for a refund on the ginormous fuel surcharges VoD imposed, as the price of oil has now fallen?? ?

We got landed with £14.50pp pn for our September cruise and it really really irks me.

Thanks Ally I have looked on there very interesting!

On an unrelated VoD issue has anyone tried asking for a refund on the ginormous fuel surcharges VoD imposed, as the price of oil has now fallen?? ?

We got landed with £14.50pp pn for our September cruise and it really really irks me.

I have been asked by Jane to pass on that David Yellow wants anyone who has cruised with VoD since March and whose holiday was messed up by the engine fault, to write to him direct. I have listed onsite what he required by way of information from people.

Personally I am of the opinion that the 'surcharge' is nothing of the sort. It is to cover the extra fuel required to run on 3 engines and the fuel surcharging is a convenient cover.

I have contacted David Yellow today to get an update to the engine situation as Discovery was doing 14 knots flat out yesterday which signifies that she is still on 3 engines and not on 4 as David Yellow stated in the Telegraph article.

Unfortunately David Yellow cannot be reached as he is away until September 2nd 2008.

:rolleyes:

If it was my ship in trouble, any thought of annual leave would be forgotten. I would be sorting the problem out instead.

There is a possibility that he is on the ship, but who knows for sure?

Personally I am of the opinion that the 'surcharge' is nothing of the sort. It is to cover the extra fuel required to run on 3 engines and the fuel surcharging is a convenient cover.

/quote]

I think you are wide of the mark on this Ally, most cruise companies have started reducing service speeds to reduce fuel consumptions due to the high oil prices.

If the Discovery is running on three engines then the fuel consumption would be reduced when she is only cruising at 15 knots rather than at 17 - 18 knots.

Thanks for posting the info about contacting the MD as I am going back on the Discovery in October.

I also read your thread on your web site but lost interest when it became a game of hide and seek for yourself and your advisor with the AIS system, I was hoping for something more informative.

Archived