Glacier Bay question

cruisepal48

The extended forecasts are quite good. Let's keep our fingers crossed for smooth seas and sunshine:).

Say I went on a roll call twice and it fizzled out both times. I know we will have a GREAT time. I cannot wait. All the wonderful post from KK the menus and dailies. We have DH's mother across the hall from us. She'll be 90 this year. You'd never know it though.

I am so excited about the Glacier. All the pictures look wonderful

Thanks you all

Say I went on a roll call twice and it fizzled out both times. I know we will have a GREAT time. I cannot wait. All the wonderful post from KK the menus and dailies. We have DH's mother across the hall from us. She'll be 90 this year. You'd never know it though.

I am so excited about the Glacier. All the pictures look wonderful

Thanks you all

4 more days!! :)

We were at Glacier Bay on the Veendam May 20, 2008. There was not a lot of calving going on but Marjorie Glacier did provide a couple photo ops.

a6253cd0.jpg

0f9fa401.jpg

170295bb.jpg

8def4b00.jpg

db14ef28.jpg

Hawgwildterry:

Fantastic photos! How long of a lens did you use? What's your camera set-up? Really great!

We were at Glacier Bay May 19th, 2008 on the Amsterdam. We were out on deck 99% of the day and saw 5 different glaciers. Margerie was calving every 5-10 minutes. Mostly smaller chunks (well, until you looked at them through binoculars!), but right before the ship left there was a huge piece that fell off. My mother missed it, she had just turned around to go inside and it happened just as she walked away.

We got it on film. :D

I really enjoyed Glacier Bay and would go back again. It was so incredibly beautiful.

Hawgwildterry:

Fantastic photos! How long of a lens did you use? What's your camera set-up? Really great!

Debbie,

Nikon D80 with a 18-200mm DX VR lens, 2-2GB and 1-4GB SD card. Just for the Marjorie Glacier alone, I probably took over 100 photos. It was actually a fairly quiet calving day so not much action to shoot.

Not to bore you all, but a couple more.

Westerdam passing Reid Glacier

DSC_1541.jpg

DSC_1545.jpg

Reid Glacier

DSC_1556.jpg

DSC_1559.jpg

Here is a photo of the idiot who stood outside for hours upon hours trying to get that 'perfect' photo. I am wearing long johns, flannel shirt, hoodie, ski parka, stocking cap and gloves. Throw in the camera and binoculars and you are set for cruising Glacier Bay in May.

Hey, everyone else laughs at me. I might as well laugh along with them. ;)

P5130051.jpg

Those were the best ever pictures. Awesome. Now I can't wait:D Its so nice to have you all post pictures for us. I loved seeing the Westerdam against the glacier. Should I bring my long underwear for the day on deck?:confused:

Not to bore you all, but a couple more.

Westerdam passing Reid Glacier ...

Great shot - it's often hard to convey the size of glaciers in a photo; having the ship in the picture really helps to add a sense of scale to bring out much more clearly just how big it is.

Those were the best ever pictures. Awesome. Now I can't wait:D Its so nice to have you all post pictures for us. I loved seeing the Westerdam against the glacier. Should I bring my long underwear for the day on deck?:confused:

We were there in the middle of May and it was a bit on the chilly side. If your long underwear does not take up much space, you might want to pack them just in case.

Great shot - it's often hard to convey the size of glaciers in a photo; having the ship in the picture really helps to add a sense of scale to bring out much more clearly just how big it is.
And if you think Reid is big you should see Hubbard. It is 5 times as wide as Glacier Bay's Majorie. :)

For those of you who have been to Glacier Bay, do you usually see them calving? My 1st trip was to tracy arm/sawyer glacier. We could hardly even see the glaciers let alone calve. I was a bit disappointed. That's why I insisted on a different itinerary. Thanks

I was there in May 2007 and saw LOTS of calving.....go here http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/2911393_tPEQr#159128282_jtitz and go through the many pics I got of some amazing calving in GLacier Bay...we were on the Noordam...you'll LOVE it!!! (I don't guarantee your pics will be as good as mine though! LOL)

I've been there 3 times and have seen and photographed them calving each time. You are quite a distance (thankfully) from the ice and it is the sound that is really attention getting. Enjoy your trip...it is one of the best for on the boat experiences.

Archived