The Alaska Cruise "Handbook" by Joel Upton

sdfamily

Here's the book I'm looking at, The Alaska Cruise Handbook:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Alaska-Cruise-Handbook/Joe-Upton/e/9780979491504/?itm=1

From my research, this looks like the 2008 edition of "The Alaska Cruise Companion (2004 edition)" by the same author.

Will this be sufficient or do I need to call Princess for 'their version'?;)

Thanks in advance!

Are you on a Princess cruise? If not, then I think the new edition would be preferable. I have the 2005 edition of the Companion and ordered 2 copies of the Handbook for my travel companions. If there is very little change between the two, then I won't order a new copy for myself.

It helps to be on a Princess cruise when looking at the mile markers on the map - but those are the same whether you have the Princess book or the new book.

The mailman just delivered the new books - but they are shrinkwrapped, and I'm giving them as gifts - rats! This is what it looks like: 51c35dLKZ%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I just clicked on the link in your first post, and that must be the 2005 edition pictured. By the way - the price is $13.37 at Amazon.

They were only selling the 2005 edition on the Diamond Princess two weeks ago when I boarded the ship. I picked up the 2008 edition in Juneau at the nature center at the top of Mount Roberts (take the tram to get there).

• 2 weeks later...

I got my copy today. I can hardly wait to start reading it. The pictures are amazing! I'll have to wait for the baby to take a nap...

It's the 2008 edition and it titled "The Alaska Cruise Handbook". On the inside cover it says "also sold by Princess Cruises as The Alaska Cruise Companion".

They had the new edition on the Island Princess last week. The cost was about $4-$5 more. We asked what the difference was and were told there were 3 pages added. So we saved a few dollars and bought the older edition. While this is a great book to read about the history of the area and what you see along the way, it is written for a northbound trip. So, it is easier to follow if you are headed north. Otherwise, you are reading the chapters from the back of the book first.

Archived