Celebrity-Century-Tangier

Dorene1

I have only found a little info on Tangier, I see many questions, but it seems those who did go, didnt put info in the treads when they returned. Has anyone gone and if so what did you do? I only see two excursions for Tangier on Celebrity and if there is only two choices which one is the best. Note, I did have a complete hip replacement and while I am walking better I do tire easily.

Any info please

Dorene

Last Dec, 10 of us went on our own to Tangier while our Star Princess was docked in Gilbralter. Our itinerary was supposed to take us to Casablanca but that port was cancelled "due to security". Our ship was docked from 8am to 11pm so we had a long day. Also, our next port was Cadiz, Spain so we knew that if we missed the ship that night we could take a car to Cadiz. So, some of us walked the 2 miles from the ship to the Spain border while some took a taxi. Once in Spain we taxied to the port. There we purchased tickets for the Fast Ferry to Tangier. The ride was over an hour and there was a cafe on board for sweet rolls, sandwiches, soda and coffee. We filled out Morroccan immigration papers on board.

After exiting the ship into a beautiful and modern terminal, we were approached by several "official guides". They spoke excellent English, had their official papers around their necks and they each wanted to bargain to be our guide for the day. After much discussion, we 10 settled on a guide who walked us out of the tightly secured port area and up the hill into town. During the next 6 hours we walked and walked and walked. We saw the beach area where the French and German tourists like to stay. We walked through the market where exotic spices were being sold as well as everything else under the sun. We visited the central square where the cinema and court house are.

And then we headed into the bazzaar - it's donkey wide cobblestone streets were a maze. The 3 story buildings on either side made the light dim and there was not one English word anywhere. We were taken to a shop filled to overflowing with all things Morroccan. On the 2nd floor we were treated to a "rug show" of amazingly beautiful carpets of all shapes and sizes. I bought an incredible 3x5 red silk rug for $100. Then back downstairs we were all loaded up on copper, brass, and ceramic items. I bought a brass lamp, a ceramic tanjean, and a brass hand of Fatima. Then we were lead to another shop. By that time word had spread that there were Americans in town (remember it was Dec and no cruise ships were in port). We were engulfed with vendors selling jewlery, rugs, shirts, incense burners, toy camels, perfume,etc etc. While I thought that this was the highlight of the day, others in our group were terrified. The vendors were pushing and shoving, shouting prices and cursing at each other when one thought another had stolen "his" customer. We bought beautiful copper bracelets - 4 for $10, then 5 for $10 and finally 6 for $10. I wish I had taken more small bills. Every store and vendor took American money but getting change back was difficult although our guide mad sure we did. No one was cheated nor pick pocketed. Finally a 3rd shop for souveniers like spoons, coffee cups, magnets and tee shirts. On the way back to the ferry, I bought from a street vendor a rug for $50 that turned out to be exactly like the one I'd purchased in the store for $100. Oh well, now I have rugs on either side of the bed.

We lugged all our treasures back to the ferry terminal and our guide stayed with us until our ferry arrived to take us back to Spain. For all that, he charged us a mear 2 euros per person ! Needless to say we all ended up giving him 5 euros per person as he was indeed a remarkable young man. He was moved to tears saying that 50 euros was enough money for his family of 4 to eat for a month.

We ate a late supper on the ferry back, taxied to the border, crossed and got a van to take us back to the ship arriving at 10:30pm - a whole hour early. The point of my story is to encourage you to go into Tangiers, let you know that indeed it is a city to be walked however if you have mobility problems, do not let that discourage you. There were many cars and vans and I know with some research you can get a tour that will let you experience this ancient and magical city.

Thank you for the information. Sometimes it's difficult to make some choices. I sent an email to the company suggested. Looking at some of the places to see there, makes it exciting.

Thanks

Dorene

Archived