Dressing for dinner on Alaska sailing

cigloo

Hello all.

We have sailed on HAL for the Caribbean not for Alaska and wanted to know if the dress code is the same? Being that the weather in September when we sail will be cold, I wasn't sure what you would see at dinners? We wore formal gowns on formal nights and strapless/sleeveless dresses for the Caribbean - but I am stumped for Alaksa?

Ladies, I would love some feedback :D

We went in Sept. in 2006. Formal nights are everything from long gowns and tuxedos, to cocktail dresses and suits, to skirts and dressy blouses and dress pants with a tie for the men. We only went to one formal night (not our thing, we're more casual), and I wore a skirt and blazer, while my husband wore a suit. The inside temperature of the ship is quite comfortable, I wasn't cold at all (and I'm ALWAYS cold!), so if a strapless dress is what you want, go right ahead. You'll fit in. Be comfortable and enjoy the majesty that is Alaska! We leave on Fri. out of Seattle - can't wait!

The dress code is the same for all the cruises throughout the fleet; it's compliance that varies.

Formal is formal---tux for a man; the fall-back for men who don't want to wear a tux is a dark suit. The fall-back for men who don't want to wear either is a sport coat w/tie. Anything less does not meet the code. For a woman formal is a gown (or equivalent dressy pants). The fall-back is a cocktail dress (or equivalent).

Smart Casual is a put-together, polished look.

We were on the Oosterdam 5/03 to AK and were very surprised at the dress. We did have early seating, so that may have had a bearing. I counted 3 tuxedos the first formal night and 4, the next. One night we had Pinnacle reservations and a couple right next to us had on tennis shoes, jeans and casual nylon jackets. The cruise, our first, was much more casual than we anticipated.

We went to Alaska the first time in Sept. and I wore a long sleeved long black dress the first formal night (my DH wore a black suit) and on the second night I wore a short sleeve beaded top with long black dress pants (I did take a black wrap). The dining room is warm enough but it was cool in the shows.

I took way too many clothes for the Alaska cruise. Well .... you need short sleeve tops, long sleeve tops, gloves and a rain jacket. I bought a nice sweat shirt on the ship and my husband bought one in Juneau.

I didn't wear any of the dress pants I brought. You will see more jeans and tennis shoes on this cruise than any other.

Archived