Very First Cruise...and with Kids

Ariels Twin

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I will be going on the Carnival Destiny ( i think...sound familar?) in June 2009.

I have NEVER cruised before, and I will have a 5 and 3 year old with me.

ALso my mom, dad, sister, brother, brother's gf, aunt, uncle and my hubby will be there. I am kinda nervous b/c i have NO idea what i am doing! I am a huge Disney fan, and I have my Disney trips planned to a T, but I am so not up to speed with the whole cruise thing! ANy help!!!

I agree with Richard's Mom - read,read, read! Check out all the different aspects of the Cruise Critic boards - there is a section on Family cruising, the port of call boards will help plan your excursions, and the roll call board will let you chat with people cruising with you. When I found Cruise Critic I think I probably sat and read these threads for a couple of weeks taking notes and making lists. It really helps to plan everything.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You'll love Carnival with kids, they are very kid friendly. My DGD likes Camp Carnival and especially loves the pseudo "build a bear." Our wait staff has always been great to our granddaughter, last time they cut all her meat for her at dinner, so mom and dad could just sit and enjoy their food! You won't be disappointed!:D

You have no worries, we took my 4 year old daughter last year on her first cruise and she loved it. We were on Carnival Imagination. We also go to Disney every year for her birthday and this year she requested that we not go to Disney and go on a cruise again, so that's what we are doing. She loved the Camp Carnival and never wanted to come out of it. Any questions about kids and cruising or the the camp, feel free to ask.

I understand you completely! I love disney (so much so that I used to work part time for them just to go for cheap -- as if teaching middle school full time wasn't enough!!) and plan my trips there very carefully. But I plan my cruises almost just as much. I find the capers for the same itinerary/same ship, study the ship deck plans so I will know where everything is, find a copy of the menus for each night so that I can find which night will be my "least" favorite and go to the supper club, plan what to do at each port (and with the southern itinerary, you have a LOT OF PORTS!!) I keep everything in a 3 ring binder, etc.

Read, read, read, and ask questions, even if you think they are silly!

Have fun planning!

You are going to love cruising as a family vacation! Our kids L-O-V-E cruising and this year opted to cruise over Disney. Okay by me! :D

Take a look at the Family Cruising Forum ~ it is a wealth of information on cruising with your kids.

Most of all ~ enjoy your time onboard with your family!

:)

We were also a "Disney" family - started when the kids were 4/7. Land vacations there every summer, and when they put their ships into commission, on we went! After our 3 Disney cruises we "jumped" to Carnival. Now, with the kids 16/19, Carnival is the onlyway for us to go. We loved the Destiny - have a great cruise! Use Camp Carnival - your kids will love it! (especially at their ages)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I will be going on the Carnival Destiny ( i think...sound familar?) in June 2009.

I have NEVER cruised before, and I will have a 5 and 3 year old with me.

ALso my mom, dad, sister, brother, brother's gf, aunt, uncle and my hubby will be there. I am kinda nervous b/c i have NO idea what i am doing! I am a huge Disney fan, and I have my Disney trips planned to a T, but I am so not up to speed with the whole cruise thing! ANy help!!!

LOL!!! :D

Well, I'd say you will probably be kissing old Mickey goodbye.

Like everyone else said, hang around here and read as much as you can. There is a section of the boards devoted to family cruising, which will help you with questions regarding cruising with your kids. You picked a GREAT cruiseline for a family cruise.

Welcome to the boards AND to our addiction. ;)

This is a great place to get all the info you will need.

First tip:

Fly or drive in a day early. With two kids, it will help keep them on schedule and be less stress for you.

I usually have $20 in one dollar bills to tip the porters ($1 a bag) ...tipping room service ~ which is free ($1) etc.

If your children are 3 and 5 now...I am assuming they will be 4 and 6 at the time of cruising. The 4 year old will be in the 2 -5 age group. The 6 year old will be in the 6 -8 age group. Both excellent ages to start cruising with them.

You will have a pager (a deposit is required but refunded when you return it) so that they can get in touch with you at any time on the ship. If they will be 3 and 5 when sailing, they will be together.

Camp Carnival is fabulous. We started cruising when our 2 boys were 5 and 8 and have consistantly received excellent care. Our youngest is a special needs child and Carnival has always been great with him.

Tip two: Make sure everyone has passports. Don't wait to the last minute to get them.

Tip three: Read the PORT section of this board for all kinds of advice about the different ports you will be going to...so that you can find just the right experience for your family

Tip Four: If you have a question....ask it!! No question is insignificant or silly if it is something you need to know!!

Enjoy this year of planning...that is half the fun!!

Archived