What to expect?

Wendy The Wanderer

Hi, I'm a Regent cruiser, who's been lurking on the Oceania board for a while, and now I'm lurking here.

I'd like to get some information about what the Azamara experience would be like. Both what's included/what's extra, etc.

I assume you have to pay for all drinks, including bottled water and pop, right? What about specialty coffees, at dinner or not? Do you pay for specialty dining, and if so, how much? Exercise classes, dance classes, do they have them, and do you pay for them? Anything else that you have to pay for (the spa, of course)?

I love the idea of CCC all the time. I also understand that it's anytime dining, which is one of my "must have" items.

Any other insights into how someone would feel "coming down" from Regent? I know what to expect with the smaller cabins. What else would I notice?

Espresso is available from automatic, self-serve machines in the Windows buffet area and is complimentary with meals in the restaurants. No extra charge for the specialty restaurants although a $5 gratuity is "suggested." A Regent cruiser might want to book a Sky Suite if stateroom space is an issue since these rooms are about the same size as staterooms on Mariner and Voyager. Plus, sodas and water are complimentary in suites.

We're booked on an upcoming Journey cruise and picked a Sky Suite because of the comments about the small bathrooms on the regular Veranda Suites. It still won't come close to those incredible showers & baths on the Voyager, but we are looking forward to trying out the Journey! Good luck!

Wendy, I have been on Azamara (and many times on Oceania as you know) and will be going on Azamara again July31..it is a wonderful cruising experience at a wonderful price..You will enjoy the casualness and the wonderful onboard service..the crew is extremely pleasantand the food is excellent..I will be posting from the Quest in August so watch for my posts..

Jancruz1

Wendy,

I don't think that you'll feel that you're "coming down" from Regent at all.

We've cruised Regent a few times, but tried the Quest for two weeks in February. I found myself, in all cases, comparing the Quest experience very favorably to Regent.

In fact, I just returned from a week in early May on Regent's Paul Gauguin and my husband and I found ourselves missing many elements offered by the Quest. It's beautifully done with elegant staterooms, excellent ambiance and service and I found the food to be of equal quality on each ship.

We had aft balcony staterooms on both ships and, although our balcony was larger on the PG, the stateroom organization was a bit better on the Quest. Both cabins were nice.

Both beautiful ships, lovely experiences and neither is a "come down"....with one caveat. I did find the pool deck on the Quest to be far superior to the deck on the PG....for many reasons.

In any case, enjoy!

murphysmum;)

Murphysmom, thanks for the comparison with the PG--since I've been on her for 28 days, and will do another 14 this year, it gives me a great benchmark for Azamara. I love Voyager, and enjoyed Navigator, but the PG is a great little ship, and I love the casualness of this cruise, so sounds good!

Now all I have to do is persuade my husband. Does Azamara sell out rapidly like Oceania?

Murphysmom, thanks for the comparison with the PG--since I've been on her for 28 days, and will do another 14 this year, it gives me a great benchmark for Azamara. I love Voyager, and enjoyed Navigator, but the PG is a great little ship, and I love the casualness of this cruise, so sounds good!

Now all I have to do is persuade my husband. Does Azamara sell out rapidly like Oceania?

Not yet Wendy..but watch out for next year once people start realizing how good Azamara is..in fact right now they have amazing deals out there..this summer may be the time to try it while the prices are quite reasonable and they are giving nice perks!!

Jancruz1

Not yet Wendy..but watch out for next year once people start realizing how good Azamara is..in fact right now they have amazing deals out there..this summer may be the time to try it while the prices are quite reasonable and they are giving nice perks!!

Jancruz1

Jan I'm wondering if all the emails (and snail mail too) I'm getting from Oceania as a past guest with special prices for THIS SUMMER as well as next year, means that perhaps Azamara has made inroads into their passenger base? They are obviously no longer "Sold Out", all the time. It is also possible that the economy is hitting them too!

If Azamara is reasonably close to the Oceania experience (and I believe it is) yet is priced significantly less, common sense says that it will begin to carve away Oceania's passengers. The economy plus all the new build capacity coming online next year should make 2009 & 2010 a "buyer's market" for cruising.

If Azamara is reasonably close to the Oceania experience (and I believe it is) yet is priced significantly less, common sense says that it will begin to carve away Oceania's passengers.

The loss of Oceania clients to Azamara has already been noticed, per discussion on the Oceania forum.

On our first Azamara cruise this winter, many passengers had sailed Renaissance and Oceania. My husband and I found Azamara comparable to Oceania and we were thrilled to be savings thousands of dollars. Our next Azamara cruise is in August and the prices and perks are amazing. We had not planned on a third cruise this year, but when we saw the prices we decided to go. It is a buyer's market right now for everything - including cruises. Why not take advantage of it if you can? This is a classic example of supply and demand. With too few passengers to fill staterooms, prices drop.

Jancruz1

Hi Jan !

I totally agree. I feel that much of 2008 will continue to offer good Cruise deals, mostly due to a soft World economy, a very weak US Dollar, and many new ships coming online. All of these factors will bring a great deal of competition for your Cruise dollars. As you mentioned, there are many good Europe deals out there, as I feel most Cruiselines (as usual) put too many of their eggs in the Europe basket, and are going to be overdeployed in Europe. What worked last year, may not work in 2008 and 2009. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but I have been suggesting this scenario for quite some time. 2008 may prove to be ok for Europe, but for 2009, I feel the Cruiselines are in for some disappointments, especially if the economy doesnt improve.

The good news for Cruisers is, there are some great deals out there. The bad news is, this may be one of the last opportunites (for a while) to sail Azamara at very good prices. I feel as if Azamara is like a well kept secret... and the more people that sail Azamara, the more popular they will become. Will I be right ? Only time will tell.

Jan I'm wondering if all the emails (and snail mail too) I'm getting from Oceania as a past guest with special prices for THIS SUMMER as well as next year' date=' means that perhaps Azamara has made inroads into their passenger base? They are obviously no longer "Sold Out", all the time. It is also possible that the economy is hitting them too![/quote']

In truth, IMHO, it is a combination of Azamara getting their act together so well and the weak economy..also Azamara has different itineraries which is also very nice for the past passengers of O that have done many of their itineraries..

I am excited to be going on the British Isles on July 31 on Journey..anyone want to come with us?? The deal is great!!

Jancruz1

Hi Jan !

I totally agree. I feel that much of 2008 will continue to offer good Cruise deals, mostly due to a soft World economy, a very weak US Dollar, and many new ships coming online. All of these factors will bring a great deal of competition for your Cruise dollars. As you mentioned, there are many good Europe deals out there, as I feel most Cruiselines (as usual) put too many of their eggs in the Europe basket, and are going to be overdeployed in Europe. What worked last year, may not work in 2008 and 2009. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but I have been suggesting this scenario for quite some time. 2008 may prove to be ok for Europe, but for 2009, I feel the Cruiselines are in for some disappointments, especially if the economy doesnt improve.

The good news for Cruisers is, there are some great deals out there. The bad news is, this may be one of the last opportunites (for a while) to sail Azamara at very good prices. I feel as if Azamara is like a well kept secret... and the more people that sail Azamara, the more popular they will become. Will I be right ? Only time will tell.

I agree with you 100% unfortuanately next year seems fairly well set..maybe we can change their minds and Aza will do some soft adventure with one of the ships..

Jancruz1

Archived