Calling Home

Have you thought of buying a cell phone for international? We bought one for our last trip to Europe and have used it twice already. The phone was $99 and you keep it and only pay for the phone calls you make. We'll be using it again in August over in Europe on our Baltic cruise.

If you are not planning to do it often, or don't want to get a phone just for the trip, you might ask your cabin steward or wait staff, or friendly bar staff...Where they go to call home while in port. They can probably tell you where to get the best rates. EM

I just returned from a cruise in the baltics. In preparation for the trip, I obtained obtained a loaner Global Phone from my provider Verizon Wireless. Verizon overnighted the phone to me and I had it activated in less than 5 minutes.

You don't have to buy new phone, which is what I liked best. I used it in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn (Estonia), Gdansk (Poland), and Oslo.

When I returned to the US, I had the phone deactivated (again, less than 5 minutes) and overnighted the phone back to Verizon in the box/prepaid mailer they provided.

I got the phone more for peace of mind when I was on shore excursions and to check back in the states so my usage was less than 5 minutes in each port.

If you intend to use the phone alot, the reps at ATT suggested I get a prepaid phone and then get a prepaid SIM card in europe...which would be cheaper especially if I planned to spend over $50 in prepaid like calls.

Your Verizon Wireless phone works on the ship only when the ship is out of port! The price is $2.49/ minute. Verizon Wireless has an agreement with Holland America, but don't know about other cruise lines.

I go the low tech way and buy a phone card from a foreign convenience store, telling the clerk that I want to call the USA. The clerk has always come through for me with more minutes than I can use for about $10. I like the scratch off to reveal a pin number type of card, not anything with a chip in it.

Sometimes they have cards that are good from several countries.

Archived