Let's Pick a Date.....

sail7seas

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I am predicting that HAL will announce the end of formal nights. [/B]

[B]If you agree that is probably going to happen, when do you think they will officially announce it?[/B][/QUOTE]
At the same time they change the smoking policy.

I say with the New Year.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='Sage']Sign me up for a Crystal cruise if the dress code continues on its downward sprial.[/QUOTE]
My friend, many of the luxury lines were the first ones to do away with the formal dress code. I believe Crystal is resort casual at all times.

Why not try a Cunard cruise if you really like formal? A friend of mine just returned from the Queen Mary and said he couldn't believe how truly formal things were around the ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] For some, dressing is intergral part of their cruise. They enjoy getting dolled up and nothing wrong with it and not for me to criticize. I still do it but am less enthusiastic in my promotion of it. But I definitely support those who wish to continue with formal nights.[/B][/QUOTE]I've said it before and I'll say it again. No way would I let anyone discourage me from dressing up if that's what I wanted to do. I don't give a hoot what the dress code is around the ship. My advice to those for whom dressing up is an intregral part of their cruise is to get together with their traveling companions and make a plan to get all gussied up on certain nights. Believe me, everyone around the ship will be looking and admiring your group.

Blue skies ...

--rita

For what it's worth and those who enjoy seeing it in print (as Rev. Neal so eloquently stated on another thread :) )...here's my response from HAL re: formal nights:

"...We would like to reassure you that Holland America Line has no plans now or in the future to cancel formal nights."

[quote name='ctsally']If people choose to get "all gussied up" every night of a cruise, or if they choose to simply wear smart casual clothes every evening, what difference does it really make?[/QUOTE]

It makes a difference to the atmosphere aboard ship that the Line, and those who enjoy one form of environment or another, are trying to create. If everybody is dressing in suits and ties and dresses and such and you want to wear just slacks and sport-shirt, you're going to be out-of-step with everyone else; likewise, if you're in a Tuxedo and everybody else is dressing Smart Casually, it's going to be you again who is out-of-step with everbody else ... and that "being out of step" can have the effect of impacting one's enjoyment of the cruise. I used to worry about being embarrased by being dressed "out-of-step" with everyone else. I no longer worry about the embarrassment factor (thanks to RuthC's sage advice and example), and will just "do my thing." But the overall atmosphere will still be impacted (one way or the other) by how people dress. How people act and treat others, certainly [B]not[/B] clothing, is the most important factor of one's character; but it's a red-herring to claim that what's at issue here is "character." It's NEVER been about character ... not to me, and not to most of us who enjoy Formal Nights; it's about the atmosphere aboard ship and how people participate in creating that atmosphere. If the choices were really only between dressing Formal or dressing Smart Casual, I don't think that many of us who love dressing up would be as apprehensive as we are about ideas like "Formal-Optional." What is so troubling is the fact that, as has been observed many times and mentioned on this board, it doesn't ever just stop with Smart Casual: T-shirts, tank-tops, muscle shirts, shorts, sweat suits, swim suites, thongs ... etc ... all follow. Where does it stop, because it hasn't stopped with "Smart Casual"? And, where does the atmosphere go when dress standards go south?

[QUOTE]Are most people going on a cruise to enjoy the adventure of visiting new parts of the world, meeting new friends, enjoying the experience of living in luxury on a ship with great service, or are they going to look at what others choose to wear?[/QUOTE]

I go on a cruise to (1) enjoy the ship and the sea days, (2) enjoy meeting new people (3) enjoy seeing cruise friends and buddies, (4) enjoy the social occasions involved in all of the above reasons, (5) enjoy seeing new ports and parts of the world. I don't go to "look at what others choose to wear," but it is sometimes hard to [I]not[/I] notice when those choices range drastically outside the norms one would expect while "living in luxury on a ship with great service" and in an environment of elegance and grace. It's a metaphor, and I'm quoting hammy, but it works: when someone walks in with a Pineapple on their head, one cannot help but notice. When I see someone walk into the main Dining room dressed in shorts and print tank-top on a Formal Night (as I did last November on the [I]Volendam[/I]), it's hard to not notice.

Do I REALLY care what others choose to wear? [B][I]Heck, no.[/I][/B] I used to want to try and "fit in," and hence it was important to know what others were wearing so that I wouldn't vary from that norm. But, I don't care anymore about that. Someone dressing in Smart Casual on Formal Night doesn't touch me or impact me. But I DO care that the atmosphere of elegant luxury, which I enjoy and is one of the reasons why I cruise, is being marred by people ignoring even the minimal evening standards set by the Code.

[quote name='kryos']My friend, many of the luxury lines were the first ones to do away with the formal dress code. I believe Crystal is resort casual at all times.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, Rita, but that's just not correct. Their code is on their website, and it states:

[QUOTE]Dress Codes

Each evening on a Crystal cruise has a specific dress code for dining areas that also applies to all public areas of the ship after 6:00pm (except for alfresco dining on deck when available). If you choose to change your attire following the evening dinner and other festivities, please maintain a minimum style of dress in keeping with the dress code for Casual Evening Attire (described in detail below). Guests find that the occasional formal nights create a special atmosphere in contrast to the other more informal or casual nights on board. The three codes of attire are formal, informal and casual. Typically, 10- to 14-day cruises have three formal nights. The number of informal nights is usually based on the number of days at sea, and casual nights are based on days in port or the time of departure. For your convenience, your cruise ticket lists the number of specific dress code evenings during your stay on board.[/QUOTE]

I, too, am looking at Crystal and Cunard.

[quote name='kryos']My advice to those for whom dressing up is an intregral part of their cruise is to get together with their traveling companions and make a plan to get all gussied up on certain nights. Believe me, everyone around the ship will be looking and admiring your group.[/QUOTE]

More likely, they'll be looking at us and thinking: "Who do they think they are, dressing up like that on a cruise?? They're making us look like slobs! They must be stuffed shirts and snobs for wanting to dress like that." I've even been told I was "overdressed" when I dared to wear a suit and tie on an Informal Night (about 6 years ago).

[quote name='teltrainer']For what it's worth and those who enjoy seeing it in print (as Rev. Neal so eloquently stated on another thread :) )...here's my response from HAL re: formal nights:

"...We would like to reassure you that Holland America Line has no plans now or in the future to cancel formal nights."[/QUOTE]

Thanks. :) Sadly, HAL has been known to make statements in which they denied plans to change something right up to the moment of the change; then, once the change was announced, they acted as if they never said anything other than there was going to be a change.

Absolutely! All of the lines seems to enjoy surprising. But I can hope. I love the formal nights and hope they will continue to offer at least one per 7 days. There's something about men in tuxedos too :) Perhaps some of the ladies don't care but I think all men look fabulous in formal dress.

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I was going for the 12th of Never, myself. But I'll take your date, too. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I do know that if HAL eliminates formal nights I won't be sailing them any longer. There are still some cruiselines out there that will provide a traditional, refined experience. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
LOL. I'm with you Ruth. I was undecided between the 12th of Never and the 30th of February.
Jim

[quote name='jimgev']LOL. I'm with you Ruth. I was undecided between the 12th of Never and the 30th of February.
Jim[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Everything's a song cue for me, Jim. :) Everything. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='jimgev']LOL. I'm with you Ruth. I was undecided between the 12th of Never and the 30th of February.
Jim[/QUOTE]

You forgot to put the year:p

I vote for Dec. 2012; I think the Mayas may have known something.

The thrill has been long gone.

I say April 15.

Those who know their maritime history know from whence I speak.

But you can wear it ashore. For HALF the price.

Don't get sucked in anymore.

The real question S7S should ask is this: How long before you're carrying your own bags on and off? That's where were going cruise fans.

[B]Hey Mariner.....howdy.

There are some folks who want to take their own bags off.
HAL now, happily for these people, offers self-debark.
DH and I can't possibly do that. We need two porters for just my bags! :D

[/B]

Deduct formal and semi-formal. There your go. Aloha.

Why do people think a quick send-off is a pleasant end to a cruise?

My land excrusion, the valet boys gave use bottled water as we got in the car. I think that was better than don't let the port door hit you on the way out.

[B]There are those who choose to hurry off. Truth be told, DH and I are always among the first off even though we always stay over post cruise for at least one night. When our cruise is over, it is over and we get on with what we are doing next.
There are others who enjoy their second and third cup of coffee.

HAL does not 'throw people off'. :D

[/B]

[B]Mr. Sunshine..... Smile. It won't hurt, I promise. :)

Each to their own. Everyone vacations in the way that suits them. Once our cruise has ended, we are ready to get to our hotel and enjoy that facet of our vacation. It's our choice to always request first group off. Doesn't mean you have to. ;)

[/B]

Archived