Cruising with 14 yo son!

Nuttycruisegirl

I am cruising in November with my son who is 14. He will turn 15 DURING our cruise. Will he be put in the kids group with the 12-14 yo's or the 15-17 yo's? Anyone know? Are they strict about who hangs with who? It is me and my Mom and son going...First cruise for each of them and I want them to both have a ball. I am concerned about him being bored if he doesn't join in the youth activities. What do you all think? :confused:

What cruise line and when in November? Those two things make a huge difference. If it's during Thanksgiving, where there will be tons of kids, the chances of him moving up to the older group is pretty slim. The age thing is as much a protection for your son as anything else. The general rule for all cruise ships is, the age you are on the first day of the cruise is the age you are for the entire cruise. This goes for someone who might turn 21 during a cruise or a toddler who might turn 3. If you're cruise isn't during Thanksgiving, chances are there will be few kids on board, so they might be a little more willing to bend the rules. We like to cruise the week before or the week after Thanksgiving, and we don't see many kids during those times. But again, it depends on what ship you're on.

What Line? What ship?

Most of the line's teen programs are run a bit less restrictively than the younger kids' program. When we cruised RCCI this past Tgiving, our DD had just turned 12YO; the teen program had activities geared toward the two different age groups but there were activites that both groups particpated in.

The big thing for most kids at this age level is meeting other kids their age. Once they make a few friends, they pretty much can entertain themselves -- movies, rock climbing, shows, mini golf, swimming, ping pong, Nintendo DS game tournements, board games, et.al. The gang of other 12YO girls that my DD hung with did the scavenger hunts and stuff that the teen club organized, and dropped in on the parties -- but pretty much enteretained themselves.

Hope your DS has as much fun as my DD had!

Last year on RC Mariner, my son turned 12 mid way through the cruise. I took him to Adventure Ocean the first day and he looked at both areas (9-11 and 12-14). He liked the older area better. I spoke with the counselors and as long as I signed that he could be with the older group until he officially turned 12 he was fine. He did, however, need to make a decision one way or the other. He did go with the older group and as others have mentioned, he met some kids the first day and hung around with them the rest of the cruise. Usually in the video arcade or sports deck, but they did go back to the club for certain activities they liked. My biggest thing is knowing who they hook up with (and yes I do ask to meet their parents!) and having an idea of where they will be.

We've cruised with our DS three years straight, since he was 9. He absolutely hates the "kids clubs". The first thing he does when he gets onboard ship is head to the Game Arcade. The last cruise we took in '07 he had made a friend within 1/2 hour of getting onboard. Some kids are just not happy in the kids club. However, now that he is 13 he may enjoy the teen club. He'll give it a shot when we cruise this Thanksgiving on the Voyager of the Sea to Europe.

Speaking of which, it seems lots of you have cruised with kids at Thanksgiving, however, have any of you cruised to Europe during Thanksgiving? If so, were there lots of kids on those cruises?:) Would love to hear from anyone that has cruised at Thanksgiving to Europe to know what the chances are that my DS will have some kids his age, or near his age onboard!

As others have said, it depends on the line and the ship. Most of the time, they are very strict about age groups. So, they might have him in the younger group until he turns 15 and then he can join the older group. Or, they may ask you (and him) what your (his) preference is. You'll probably have to wait to find out when you board.

Are the kids allowed in the bars and karaoke areas? Or do they have to stay out...I was thinking I saw some on my last cruise in the piano bar???

The kids are allowed in the Piano Bar and Karaoke too. They can go into any bar on the ship but they won't be served alcohol of course. Unless a bar, room, etc. specifically says "adults only", kids can go anywhere their parents allow them too.

. . .it seems lots of you have cruised with kids at Thanksgiving, however, have any of you cruised to Europe during Thanksgiving? If so, were there lots of kids on those cruises?:) Would love to hear from anyone that has cruised at Thanksgiving to Europe to know what the chances are that my DS will have some kids his age, or near his age onboard!

I don't know if I replied to this elsewhere, but our T-giving cruise last year was the Eastern Med (Venice, several Greek ports/islands, Croatia) on board the Splendour (much smaller ship) -- there were about 30 kids in the teen club the first night -- DD made friends right away. There were several American families living in Europe on board -- most of the American schools in Europe have the whole week of T-giving off. There were also a number of us who traveled from the states.

I don't know if I replied to this elsewhere, but our T-giving cruise last year was the Eastern Med (Venice, several Greek ports/islands, Croatia) on board the Splendour (much smaller ship) -- there were about 30 kids in the teen club the first night -- DD made friends right away. There were several American families living in Europe on board -- most of the American schools in Europe have the whole week of T-giving off. There were also a number of us who traveled from the states.

Thank you so much for your response!:D

Archived