Skip Boarding photo

I've only bought one embark photo and that was on the first day of my honeymoon. We'd had a string of travel nightmares that day and were SO HAPPY to finally be boarding the ship, when no! Wait! SMILE! :D Click went the camera. When we finally saw the photo we HAD to buy it ... there we are, dripping in our luggage (long story), glaring at the camera, with the date posted above our heads, the day after our wedding. :D :D :D It was just too darn funny NOT to buy it!

Now, we do walk past all the embark and ports-of-call photo stations ... what is WITH the people in stuffed animal suits at each port? :confused: But I DO like to get a pic or two from the formal nights ... poor hubby, not only do I make him dress up, but then I always drag him around to find a photog and backdrop that I like. I also like to buy the shot of the table too, so I can remember the nice folks we ate with all week.

After having tried to dodge the photogs at every turn on our last cruise, I just turned the tables on them. One evening, when they approached our table in the dining room, after asking our tablemates if they minded, I whipped out my own camera (a pretty hefty digital SLR) and pointed it right at the photographer. He turned around, went to another table and we didn't see him again all evening.

I avoid the boarding photo if possible. I would never buy it.

Sometimes when leaving the ship in port, it can be a challange.

I am not amused when my way is blocked at the bottom of the

gangway by a person in a stuffed dolphin costume. Smiling and

declining the "photo op" does not work every time.

The bottom line is that I don't buy their product, and just like the

art auctions, do my best to ignore it.

Ahoy!

As other's have mentioned, a polite no thank you does the trick. However, if you embark when boarding is intially possible (e.g. 1100) then there can be a line of folks causing creating a back-up before one can walk up the gangway. Worst case scenerio being another 10-20 minute wait before getting aboard.

Wiser, if possible, to arrive around 1200-1300 for processing and waking past the professional shutter-bugs is alot easier IMO.

I also might add that "formal" shots (gee I got the dress code in here) can also be accomplished quite nicely by having a fellow cruiser or staff member take your picture with some sort of plant or artwork behind you as a backdrop.

Have a WONDERFUL CRUISE!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

But gee... isn't fun to see yourself over the years... getting older... a little grayer... and a little heavier... and... oh well... maybe you're right! :D

My claim is that it's the new film (or not) that they use. Twenty years ago their film showed two young(er) people. The new film adds wrinkles. :D Nancy

Someone mentioned getting there early. Try getting there late. I boarded with my sister's family and by the time we were ready to walk on board, the photographers had packed up and left. We got onboard, went straight to our cabins, and 15 minutes later they called the lifeboat drill. My BIL said gee, we cut it close. Uh, yeah!!!! (This was a couple of years ago.)

I was disappointed not to have that embark photo, we do collect them, along with ship photos, due to the fact DH hates using a camera and I hate being the "official" photographer. When we win the lottery, we're going to hire someone to come along at our expense and take photos :)

Archived