Partial Panama Canal Cruise...what would you do???

hardingk

Partial Panama Canal...What would you do/have done???  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Partial Panama Canal...What would you do/have done???

• Stay on the ship
    • Panama Canal Locks by Ferry
    • Two Ocean Railroad Journey
    • Two Ocean Railroad Journey by dome car
    • Other - please explain

We are sailing on the Brillance in January for the partial panama canal sailing. We only go into the first set of locks. If you were going to do this sailing or have done this sailing would you:

A. Stay on the ship and enjoy the canal that way

B. Panama Canal Locks by Ferry

C. Two Ocean Railroad Journey

D. Two Ocean Railroad Journey by dome car

E. Other - please explain

We are on the Brilliance in December doing the partial Panama Canal, and we are planning on staying on the ship so that we can enjoy going through the locks in both directions. We have never been through the locks before, so am excited to see how they work. Might watch from our balcony going in (as I have heard they travel through quite early), and maybe go out on deck when we sail back through.

We did a land vacation to Panama a couple of years ago. We took a bus trip from where we were staying to the canal and vicinity. On the way back we took the dome car and then our bus picked up us again.

For the most part, there is not much to see. A lot of rain forest and such, but if you don't have a guide you will be bored.

As for the town, it was a complete waste of time and I would not recommend it at all.

If we were to do this aboard a ship, we would not get off the ship at all.

Oh, and if you do get off and want to go where the duty free stuff is, you have to pay, you need your passport and it takes quite a bit of time to get in and out of the gated area.

At least, that's what we found.

Marilyn

This may be a stupid question, but what's a partial Panama Canal cruise? list of After Alaska, the Panama Canal is high on my list of future cruises to plan, but this is the first time I've heard of a 'partial' one (perhaps I should pay more attention to the Panama Canal board).

I can't imagine an expedition that would have been worth skipping either transit through the locks. Of course YMMV: the trip into the channel and through the locks (Atlantic side) is close to 2 hours. The crowds are much thinner in the pass back through, so if you really want to watch things this is the better time. You definitely have to spend some time on the lower decks, to get a close up of the wall rising just feet from the ship and to see the gates up close.

I probably would have seriously considered the ferry back through the locks, but I don't remember that being offered on my cruise.

BTW, I have a handful of canal pictures posted under my "Splendour" section on webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/mikesteg. It's pretty amazing how close the ship gets to the wall. :eek:

Figs,

Most of the canal cruises only go into the channel and back out. They typically only go through the full length of the channel if it is repositioning cruise.

Mike

We were on the Brilliance this past April and stayed on the ship........we certainly weren't sorry that we did.........when we go again, we will probably do the same thing and just stay on the ship.

We did this itinerary on the Coral Princess. We stayed on the ship.

You know, of course, that the return trip is through the same set of locks. If you were up in the morning to see this, it's exactly the same on the way out -- just reversed and hotter.

Were I to do it again, I would get off the ship and take one of the excursions. I understand seeing the Bridge of the Americas on the Pacific side is quite a sight, also on the ferry ride you get to experience going through the locks in a smaller vessel, which is a different perspective, and I believe you go through different locks.

When you stay on the ship you will be anchored in Gatum Lake, surrounded by tankers, etc. for a few hours, they you'll go through the canal again.

Have a great time. We enjoyed this itinerary very much.

Kim,

Although you already know what I'm doing per our roll call, I thought I'd vote anyway. We chose to do the locks by ferry. Originally, I thought we'd stay on the ship, which my brother still may do. But, for us, there were a couple of deciding factors.

First, since I'm reading the Path Between the Seas, and found this whole Panama Canal history and construction so fascinating, I really wanted to see the whole thing. Unfortunately with the partial transit, we only get to go through the gatun locks and park at gatun lake. We will be able to see going through the gatun locks on the way in, but we, like you, also wondered if we should stay and see us going out the gatun locks the opposite direction or take an excursion and see more of the Panama Canal.

Second, I guess another reason we decided to do an excursion is the fact that this is a 10 day cruise. Since we only have 4 stops/ports, that means only 4 out of the 10 days do we have the opportunity to get off the ship and see the sights. We've got a lot of at sea days, and I didn't want to lose one of the opportunities to check out our port of call.

Third, we may never see the Panama Canal again. If we don't ever get the chance again, is only 1/4 or so of it enough for me?

So, as you know, the desire to see more of the canal up close and personal won out for us. We decided to take the ferry excursion. It is my understanding tenders will pick us up from gatun lake and take us to shore. There we will take tour buses all the way to balboa on the pacific side where we will board a ferry. The ferry takes you through the pacific locks miraflores and pedro miguel. You also get to see the area of the gaillard (culebra) cut, where most of the lives were lost. The ferry trip ends at gamboa, where you are then bussed to the cristobal pier to meet up with the ship. Here is a map to see the places to which I'm referring: http://panama-maps.com/qr-map-of-the-panama-canal.htm

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be fun and right for you!;)

Stayed onboard. Watched the transit into Gatun Lake from our aft cabin balcony and the transit back to the Caribbean from starboard (watching Splendour of the Seas pass us in the opposite direction) and from our balcony. Our friends took an excursion and while they found it interesting, they said they would have rather stayed on the ship.

This was a great cruise, and we especially enjoyed our second sailing in Brilliance. Have a great time, regardless of what you decide to do.

Fishing in Gatun Lake. :)

Ok, Bill pls tell us what you liked/disliked about this excursion. Truth be told, I originally convinced DH to go on this cruise because of the peacock bass fishing excursion. He loves to fish and his aunt was stationed in Panama about 10 years ago and told us wonderful stories about her peacock bass fishing trips into gatun lake(some of which she brought back stuffed for the mantle).

Anyway, after we booked the cruise, our opinions on fishing changed. The Brilliance's last PC cruise this year was in April. We followed people's trip reports from the time we booked in feb through april, and everyone who took the peacock bass fishing excursion said they hated it. I read horror stories about guides who didn't even know how to fish, or where to take you, and poor equipment. I read that they kept the bait in a 2 liter bottle and that the fishing line was so brittle if they were lucky enought to catch a fish, the line would break before getting it to the boat. Also, I read that the guide ran out of bait and had to hunt down another boat. All the guys who wrote some of these reports were experienced fishermen and said this excursion was not worth the $. So, I'm wondering if you thought it was and why?

I don't know if we'd change our minds now, but my DH is especially curious. Thanks.

I was in Panama several times when we had a military presence there and want my wife to see a little of the country. We plan to go to Porto Bello for the day. The ride there goes through a bit of the rural country; past a few villages and some of the rain forest. In Porto Bello are the remains of an old Spanish fort that Sir Francis Drake attacked and made off with a fair amount of gold, a Catholic church which has the "Black Christ" , and a town square that looks like the set of a Clint Eastwood western movie. On the western side of the town is a mountain covered with lush green forest and on the eastern side is a beautiful bay.

Captain Ronn

Olliekl (Karen),

Oh my gosh.... we passed each other in the locks. I was aboard the Splendour in the Febuary sailing. What cabin did you have on the Brilliance? We are sailing on the her in January of next year and have an aft cabin. I took pictures of the Brilliance when we were side by side and also the aft cabins when she passed us. I may have you in my pictures.:eek:

How did you like your aft cabin?

If we do another Panama Canal cruise again, I think we will get off of the ship. If it was my first time I would still stay aboard the ship like we did on our cruise.

Colleen

Take the Two Ocean Railcar Journey. You can do the Dome Car...But it is more expensive. All railcars are part of the same train as the dome car, so you go to the same places. You board the train, it follows along the canal and goes to Panama City. There you board a bus and tour the city as well as the Mira Flores locks. There is a small museum and exhibits about the canal. You get to see the Pacific Ocean, the skyline of Panama and several other sites. It is a way to see some of Panama, other than just Gatun Lake.

Can you be packed in 12 days? You can do the full transit on Radiance of the Seas from San Diego to Miami? 14 days Balcony cabin, can be had for $2000 a person

Still some cabins to be had..........

Jimbo:)

The cars were air conditioned when we were there in spring of 2003. They seemed comfortable to us. We sat on the shady side, maybe if you were on the sunny side it could be warmer. BTW, we were back to Colon in time to shop for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. You can shop at the mall and there are shuttles to take you back to the ship. There is also the marketplace at the docks for even more shopping.

Archived