Torn - JS vs D1

I also contemplated upgrading to a junior suite on our Explorer sailing but the location of the one that was available was not so good, and it seemed that what we'd be getting for that extra $1,000+ was mainly a big closet and a bathtub. The Jr. Suite didn't seem to have the "wow" factor to justify the extra expense. Four of us have stayed in both an inside and a balcony cabin. After staying in an inside (and that was a 14 day cruise!) the balcony seemed great to us -- a window to the world that provides extra space. We don't go on a cruise to sit around in our cabin anyway; we love having a balcony but I think a regular-sized cabin is sufficient for us.

As I read between the lines here, it appears you've been a couple for awhile. If that's the case, this cruise is more of a wedding trip than a honeymoon.............................. I'd say take the JS. You'll appreciate the extra space and if his son does make it, you'll need the extra room .

I would go JS. A D1 was just too small for our family of three, but that JS opened up another half of room for us! Plus extra balcony space!

Plus, you each get two cruising credits.

The 1200 would be my wedding ring - so I would give up a wedding ring for the JS! But I hate wearing rings - so there is no guarantee that I would wear the ring. If was 800 i would jump on it - but 1200 i just don't know.

I just called my TA and she is going to put it on hold for a few days so i can think about it over the weekend.

k

PS I am diamond - so will get the priority boarding anyways...

A ring? You would give up a ring for a JS? Oh no, go for the ring. :D

I have done a D1 and JS both aft. For the money I like the D1 better. That ring on your finger will last alot longer than the few times you bump into someone in the room. We did actually take an aero bed one time and left it on the giant balcony. My son slept out there a couple nights and while sailing a few afternoon naps while listening to the waves. The JS perk of priority boarding and 2 credits is good but we arrive early and the money saved gets us on another cruise that much sooner. Its probably closer to 2,000 more after the taxes are added in and the higher tips you will pay. Remember with the aft cabins you are almost getting another room that balcony is sooooo big!

We are booked on the mariner for Thanksgiving week. Currently we have 4 booked in a D1 hump. But a JS just opened up and I put in on a 24 hour hold. Torn as to what room I should take. In the room will me, my new husband (this is our honeymoon!), my dd (9), and his ds (16) - (yeah, so not much of a honeymoon!!). His son will most likely not be able to come - but we are planning as if he will.

The cost of the JS is 1200 more than the D1. I have always stayed in D1s - never a JS. I am very happy with a D1 - but thought it would be fun to stay in a JS - and since this is our honeymoon I thought it would be extra nice. Is is worth the extra money?

Keep in mind we are paying for a wedding and just bought a new house - so don't have a ton of extra money - but we do have the money. The downside i see is i was planning on having my new husband buy me a wedding ring in St Thomas. So I would probably have to give that up - which i don't mind...too much. During the ceremony I am using my moms and I was going to continue to wear my moms - but i don't like it all that much...shhh...don't tell her!

So - what should i do??

Thanks -

kathy

If you are talking AFT cabins, I would go with the D1 on Voyager and JS if on Radiance class.

Archived