Torn - JS vs D1

We are booked on the mariner for Thanksgiving week. Currently we have 4 booked in a D1 hump. But a JS just opened up and I put in on a 24 hour hold. Torn as to what room I should take. In the room will me, my new husband (this is our honeymoon!), my dd (9), and his ds (16) - (yeah, so not much of a honeymoon!!). His son will most likely not be able to come - but we are planning as if he will.

The cost of the JS is 1200 more than the D1. I have always stayed in D1s - never a JS. I am very happy with a D1 - but thought it would be fun to stay in a JS - and since this is our honeymoon I thought it would be extra nice. Is is worth the extra money?

Keep in mind we are paying for a wedding and just bought a new house - so don't have a ton of extra money - but we do have the money. The downside i see is i was planning on having my new husband buy me a wedding ring in St Thomas. So I would probably have to give that up - which i don't mind...too much. During the ceremony I am using my moms and I was going to continue to wear my moms - but i don't like it all that much...shhh...don't tell her!

So - what should i do??

Thanks -

kathy

In my opinion, if you are having 4 people in the room, a JS is the way to go. In a JS, you'll have much more room and a walk in closet that you can use as a dressing area. Or, better yet, have you considered a d1 balcony for you and an inside cabin across the hall for the kids? Compare those 2 cabins prices to the JS and it might be a better way to go. That way, you'll have 2 bathrooms, and privacy. It is your honeymoon right?;)

In my opinion, if you are having 4 people in the room, a JS is the way to go. In a JS, you'll have a walk in clost that you can use as a dressing area. Or, better yet, have you considered a d1 balcony for you and an inside cabin across the hall for the kids? Compare those 2 cabins prices to the JS and it might be a better way to go. That way, you'll have 2 bathrooms, and privacy. It is your honeymoon right?;)

I would love to do the 2 rooms - but if the 16 year old doesn't come I can not put my 9 year old in the room by herself.

Kathy

We are booked on the mariner for Thanksgiving week. Currently we have 4 booked in a D1 hump. But a JS just opened up and I put in on a 24 hour hold. Torn as to what room I should take. In the room will me, my new husband (this is our honeymoon!), my dd (9), and his ds (16) - (yeah, so not much of a honeymoon!!). His son will most likely not be able to come - but we are planning as if he will.

The cost of the JS is 1200 more than the D1. I have always stayed in D1s - never a JS. I am very happy with a D1 - but thought it would be fun to stay in a JS - and since this is our honeymoon I thought it would be extra nice. Is is worth the extra money?

Keep in mind we are paying for a wedding and just bought a new house - so don't have a ton of extra money - but we do have the money. The downside i see is i was planning on having my new husband buy me a wedding ring in St Thomas. So I would probably have to give that up - which i don't mind...too much. During the ceremony I am using my moms and I was going to continue to wear my moms - but i don't like it all that much...shhh...don't tell her!

So - what should i do??

Thanks -

kathy

I just up-graded from a D-1 to a JS about 30 minutes ago. Think how nice that JS will be when your dd heads to Adventure Ocean for a few hours !;) :D This will be a trip to remember right ? Just one persons opinion..If it wont hurt you to bad ($) Go for it !! We live once ! Take care and congrats.:)

We have had 1688 which is a D1 aft with 3 with no problem and I think 4 would have been fine too. It has a sofabed though so your dd and his ds would have to share.

I would just be very careful about switching because it looks like most have sofabeds not pullmans.

$1,200 more? Usually I jump on the chance to say "Go for the suite!" but in this case, I am torn too...lol.

Your kids are older than mine so you won't be spending as much time in your cabin.

So for $1,200 you would get more space and priority embarkation (not always)

I know how expensive a wedding can be. Would you take that $1200 and do lots of excursions?

$1,200 more? Usually I jump on the chance to say "Go for the suite!" but in this case, I am torn too...lol.

Your kids are older than mine so you won't be spending as much time in your cabin.

So for $1,200 you would get more space and priority embarkation (not always)

I know how expensive a wedding can be. Would you take that $1200 and do lots of excursions?

The 1200 would be my wedding ring - so I would give up a wedding ring for the JS! But I hate wearing rings - so there is no guarantee that I would wear the ring. If was 800 i would jump on it - but 1200 i just don't know.

I just called my TA and she is going to put it on hold for a few days so i can think about it over the weekend.

k

PS I am diamond - so will get the priority boarding anyways...

I'm in the minority, but I would stick with the D1 and put the $1200 towards other expenses, such as excursions. We've done 4 in a D1 (we are actually doing 4 in an inside on our next cruise), and while it's "cozy", it's not uncomfortable. Yes, it's your honeymoon, but since you'll have kids in your cabin, whether it's a D1 or a JS doesn't really matter. And if you're diamond, you know how little time you really spend in your room.

Maybe once you pin the 16 year old down on whether or not he is going, then you can look into getting the kids an inside or promenade across the hall. Sometimes that only costs a little more than the 3rd/4th rate you'd be paying to have them in your cabin.

I love suites! I always upgrade when I get a chance.

However, thinking about this long-term, and considering what you would give up, I think I would prefer the wedding ring to the larger room.

You will have the wedding ring forever, the room only lasts for a week or so.

When you look at the wedding ring, you will remember the cruise, and shopping with future DH.

You will remember things in your room, but the extra space or bathtub won't be what you remember about your honeymoon.

Just my opinion.

I think that is way too much money for a Junior Suite. How much time are you going to be in the room? Think of all the stuff that you can do with that 1200.00 dollars. We just had 4 in a D1 room on the Mariner and the boys slept on the sofa bed, no problem. We were not in the room except to sleep. kmbb

Okay, you will all probably call me selfish but I think if it were my honeymoon, I would leave the kids at home, and stick with the D1.:o Then do something else with the kids another time.

Sorry, JMHO.

Although I would go for the JS, we have cruised twice with 4 people in a D1 and an E2. This was when my son was 14 and 17 and my daughter was 7 and 10. I think the only time we were ever all in the room at the same time was when we were sleeping. We staggered bathroom time and the guys sometimes used the workout facilities. Storage was snug, but we managed so it can be done if you want to save the extra $$s. Three people in a D1 is pretty easy when one of the party is a young age.

Okay, you will all probably call me selfish but I think if it were my honeymoon, I would leave the kids at home, and stick with the D1.:o Then do something else with the kids another time.

Sorry, JMHO.

I totally agree :D

Well.........being that I cruise all of the time with 3 kids (well,we actually left them at home once!) who are now 15,13, and 11.....I would definitely go for the idea of you in the balcony cabin and put the kids in an inside cabin across the hall!!! Especially since this is your honeymoon! ;) I always put the kids in their own room and it is best for all of us!!!

And if you're diamond, you know how little time you really spend in your room.

I actually disagree with this. We spent much less time in our cabin years ago when we first started cruising.

Now we only book aft cabins or suites because we don't want to be up on deck all the time.

Consider me an aft snob. I have had a JS and cannot justify the money for it. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice but if it comes downs to a room and a ring - take the D1 or move up to aft and buy that ring!

Ugh. STILL don't know what to do!! I have until Monday (or until all JSs are booked) to make up my mind.

I don't care about the ring...actually lack of a ring.

I can't put the kids in an inside cabin 99.99% chance the 16 year old boy won't come (and agree with with pp about putting the two of them in a room together...).

I have not asked my FI about this - he would say stay with the D1. The poor boy has only been only cruise. Plus if i decide to do this i would want it to be a surprise for him and my dd.

As for leaving my dd at home - I can't. She has been on too many cruises - she KNOWS what she would be missing out on and would never forgive me. Plus my parents and future sis and bro in law and some friends will be on the cruise - so there will be PLENTY of people to help watch her. And with all of them on the cruise - there will be noone at home to watch her!

I think I will end up flipping a coin Monday morning.

Thanks for all the input!

Kathy

Maybe you should see if one of your family members or friends would like to keep your daughter in their room as a wedding present. I think it would be wonderful to not have to worry about being discrete with her in the room and still have her there to spend time with. Then you wouldn't need to upgrade or lose out on the ring. If the son comes it could be the same thing.

Ugh. STILL don't know what to do!! I have until Monday (or until all JSs are booked) to make up my mind.

I don't care about the ring...actually lack of a ring.

Kathy

We have a honeymoon, where to put the 2 kids on the honeymoon, no ring. A year from now what will you look back and wish for on this trip? You don't care about a ring, but will you later on? Taking a 9YO girl and 16YO boy on your honeymoon staying in your same room wouldn't be like a honeymoon to me. I'd farm the kids out and take the ring. Or better yet, STILL farm the kids out take the JS and save up for a 1st anniversary ring. Moral of the story- find some place for the kids at least for the 9 YO girl. Wouldn't grandma take her? The 16 YO could have his own room even though it's booked as double occupancy (9 YO just isn't there).

Archived