Packing Light...

I just got back from my 2 week Transatlantic cruise. We also stayed one week in Rome at the end.

Prior to leaving I was involved in some discussions about packing light and wanted to share my experience.

For Hubby and I we took 2 carryon bags. We packed one of the bags inside a wheelie suitcase and checked it, so we would have a spare bag to take goodies home in.

For formal nights, we rented a tux for hubby and I brought a black Travel smith long dress, that converted to a skirt. I also brought a few shawls, fancy tops and sweaters to make it into different outfits. For the rest of our clothes, we brought mix and match, some casual, some dressier. Hubby brought 2 pairs of shoes (nice walking shoes and sandals), I brought 4 (flip flops, walking sandals, walking shoes, and dress sandals.) I did a little laundry before we got off the ship, and rinsed some things out every now and again. I estimate I spent less than 2 hours over the three weeks with laundry.

Where we really cut down was on "stuff." I brought small bottles of toiletries, we used the cruise line shampoo and soap. We shared toothpaste and deodorant. We did have a pile of travel guidebooks and printouts. I used the Rick Steves philosophy of "it's not whether I am going to use it, it's whether I am going to use it enough to drag it around Europe."

With the mix and match, we had a different outfit to wear each night, so didn't feel like we were wearing the same thing.

The best part was that it was so easy to keep the cabin neat. We had enough hangers for everything. It was so easy for us to catch the train to Rome and Florence and to the airport, without tons of bags to drag around.

We did not miss any of the stuff we normal "can't live without." We even figured we could do with less clothing next time.

We did get a chuckle when we heard that there were over 8,000 checked bags for the 3,500 passangers on our ship.

I know this isn't for everyone, and I've always been the queen of overpacking, but I am converted now.

Happy Travels everyone!

Denisey, I went to Europe last year with only a rolling carry on and a large "purse" type cloth bag. Did exactly as you said you did. I did not check any luggage (therefore, nothing was lost). I had plenty to wear, also did the mix and match theme.

This year I am going to Europe in early November. Will wear my heaviest things.....walking shoes, jeans, nice blazer and long sleeved top and carry a rain coat. Otherwise the packing will be about the same. There is a laundry on the Gem if we need it.

You don't need to pack the entire kitchen sink!!!

I SO needed to read this tonight as we are packing for 11 week trip that includes a 12 day cruise. We are struggling with how much to pack. My question for you...anything that you didn't bring that wish you had? And what kind of shoes did you wear on casual nights? Thanks and welcome home!

I SO needed to read this tonight as we are packing for 11 week trip that includes a 12 day cruise. We are struggling with how much to pack. My question for you...anything that you didn't bring that wish you had? And what kind of shoes did you wear on casual nights? Thanks and welcome home!

The "dress" shoes I brought area bronze colored sandal (flats) that worked for both formal night and casual night. On nights I was a little more casual, I wore my tan colored walking sandals. I bought a pair that had a little more style than some, not too clunky.

It's going to sound silly, but I wished I brought more tan/flesh colored underwear. I brought too many dark pairs that didn't go with everything.

I just asked hubby if he could think of anything and his response was "a fan." We usually bring a small box fan for white noise and air circulation. I would have like to have had one, but we made due with opening a window at night.

But now that I think of it, earplugs might have been nice in Rome (and other noisy cities!

For those going during colder weather, I can see how that would be a challenge. I do have a couple of Ex-Officio sweaters that are warm and still thin, so they would pack nicer. And long sleeve shirts rather than short sleeve ones don't take up too much more room.

Happy packing!

Denisey, I went to Europe last year with only a rolling carry on and a large "purse" type cloth bag. Did exactly as you said you did. I did not check any luggage (therefore, nothing was lost). I had plenty to wear, also did the mix and match theme.

This year I am going to Europe in early November. Will wear my heaviest things.....walking shoes, jeans, nice blazer and long sleeved top and carry a rain coat. Otherwise the packing will be about the same. There is a laundry on the Gem if we need it.

You don't need to pack the entire kitchen sink!!!

So true! However, I was tired of everything coming home, and checked it all except a small backpack (medicine, passport, new jewelry from Italy...)

Packing was a little difficult because we were in different climates, and needed clothing for both warm/hot and cool/rainy weather. We managed with one 24" and one carry-on each. We did laundry three times and it really wasn't an interference with other activities.

When we left the ship after the 20 day cruise and headed by train to Rome for a few days, it was mandatory that we be able to handle our luggage by ourselves. I was able to put my carry-on inside my rolling luggage, so only had one piece to deal with. There was extra room from all the incidentals (wine, liquor, vitamins, meds) that were used up during the cruise and we wore our bulkiest walking shoes and clothes off the ship.

It was an eye-opening experience for me as I have always overpacked. But now I am converted, and will know even better what to pack and what to leave home next time.

Hi Denisey:

You refer to a "black Travel smith long dress, that converted to a skirt" and am wondering if you could let me know of a source for this type of dress. I saw this sort of thing on a travel programme a while ago, but didn't catch the info on where to buy it. It looks like a very versatile thing to own.

Thanks

Keesu89

This winter we did 24 days around the world. We had colds in the 20's and warmth in the 80's. We traveled with one large suitecase and a roll on each. When clothes got dirty, we gave it to the hotel staff to make room for souvenirs. Of course, we planned and took clothes we were tired of. It was a great way to travel. In April we did a 7 night cruise with one large bag and a roll on total for two of us. We are sold on traveling light. If you find you are missing something, you can always buy it.

So I started off inspired by this thread and was packing light. Somewhere along the way, I forgot 'light' and now have an (almost) 50 pound bag for DD and myself. If you've ever seen the movie The Jerk with Steve Martin, you'll understand my current state of mania (all I need is...and that's all I need. oh and just this one or two or three more things, etc). My question...can I ship a bag back at the end of the cruise? We will be traveling for another 3 1/2 weeks after the cruise mostly by train, and there is a good bit that we won't need. Has anyone shipped a bag from overseas? Can we just leave it with the ship in Venice? Any idea on cost? Thanks

Destin Mom, I have no idea about shipping a suitcase (or two) back home but hopefully someone else will be able to help you with that.

I did want to note that I use the space bags to pack with. You just roll the air out of them and the small ones will hold 5 of my tops or blouses with very little wrinkling. They lay flat and take up about as much room in your suitcase as a very light sweater would.

Happy traveling

Fedex & possibly UPS ships to & from overseas. But it is a lot more expensive than learning how to pack.

We use one 22" carryon & 1 medium size backpack per person. We had extra room going over for coming home goodies (many times the merchant will ship your goodie home for you). No travel iron, curling iron, hair dryer, only 2 prs of shoes (1 on; 1packed), travel size items, 1 travel book per major place, mix & match & layer clothing. We did this for 1 month in Italy in hi & lo temps - just layered. We did not pack bulky/heavy sweaters. Buy travel clothes from travel clothing companies - warmth without bulkiness. Coat is always a lite weight raincoat with hood. We also bought travel clothes that are easy to rinse out & dry quickly. Did not spend much time in doing so - much easier than hauling overweight bags around!:(

Also, if the travel books are adding too much bulk, either tear out the important pages, or copy the needed pages. Pre-trip I type an info sheet with travel data & siteseeing info. That eliminates the need for some travel book bulk.

Good luck.

Last Spring DH and I did 3 weeks b2b and another mth in Europe partially by train. We each had a back pack and a fairly large suitcase--bad mistake! I still wake up in a cold sweat remembering being in the London Underground where there were stairs!!!between stations--thank God for helpful Brits. We managed to av oid overweight when we flew home by buying a cloth duffle each and packing all essential heavy things in those and also by dumping our overages (transformer, curling iron, lg toiletry items). So on our b2b in November w/ a week prior in Rome we are each taking a small roll on and a Le Sportsac duffle. Clothing will include (him) 1 black suit, 2 shirts, dress shoes, athletic shoes, 1 shorts, 1 khaki, 1 jeans (me) travellers knits mix/match in black/white/grey plus jewelry, 1 pr heels, 1 pair flip flops, 1 pr athletic shoes AND LITTLE ELSE. We each have a Kindle and an Ipod. We consider this cruise a trial run for 2009 b2b2b from Sydney to Vancouver. I used to travel lite in my younger days--just had to relearn that particular lesson.

I tried to check into sending a bag back via FedEx from Rome, but the expense of taking a taxi to the shipping point and back to the train station, plus the actual cost of the shipping itself was prohibitive.

I ended up learning to pack better and mix/match outfits. I took almost all solid color clothing and stuck with a color range. For four formal nights, I wore the same outfit -- a pair of black jersey knit evening pants, a beaded tank top and a sheer jacket, with beaded black flats. It all rolled up and fit into a one gallon size zip-lock baggie. I used these bags for most everything, with a couple of larger ones.

I learned to roll clothing, stuff the bag then get as much air out as possible while closing the bag almost all the way, then sit on it on a dining room chair and close it the rest of the way. This is the simplest way to use these bags and they are lots cheaper than space bags (and vacuum cleaners are not available when repacking to come home), and seems to work as well.

With everything in zip-lock bags, it also makes it easier if the TSA decides to inspect your bag. I like the idea much better - they don't have to paw through all your belongings but just look at the sealed bag.

I found the travel clothes at Travelsmith, but could not see the convertible dress. Does anyone have the link to that particular item? Would much appreciate it.

thanks

Keesu89

try this:

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=9707&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C250%2C286%2C1074&iProductID=9707&sortBy=0

If that doesn't work, search for 25 ways. Honest to goodness, they have it listed under swimwear!!!

I swear they have the worst organization on their web site, I often have trouble finding things! I noticed it comes in brown and red as well as black now. I never did figure out how to wear it 25 ways, but the 2 or 3 I figured out were fine. I also just basically wadded it up in the suitcase and it came out looking fine (no wrinkles).

We used the gallon and 2 gallon zip top bags also. Our underwear fit in one each and the bag fit nicely in the front pocket of the suitcase.

Before we packed, I laid everthing out in three piles: Have to take it, would like to take it, and take it if we have spare room. It made it easier for me to eliminate things.

So I started off inspired by this thread and was packing light. Somewhere along the way, I forgot 'light' and now have an (almost) 50 pound bag for DD and myself. If you've ever seen the movie The Jerk with Steve Martin, you'll understand my current state of mania (all I need is...and that's all I need. oh and just this one or two or three more things, etc). My question...can I ship a bag back at the end of the cruise? We will be traveling for another 3 1/2 weeks after the cruise mostly by train, and there is a good bit that we won't need. Has anyone shipped a bag from overseas? Can we just leave it with the ship in Venice? Any idea on cost? Thanks

Don't know if this will fit your schedule, but after our 7 day Med cruise we left one suitcase each with the hotel in Rome that we planned to use 4 days later (when we returned from Venice). We put locks on the bags (probably not needed..nothing really valuable in them anyway) and the hotel stored them in the luggage room for free! We then took the train to Venice with just rolling backpacks each.

I love to shop the sales at the Black/White Market stores. They have great jersey pieces that are wrinkle free and since everything in the store is black and white, or black/white prints, it all mixes and matches really well. :D

Thanks for all of the tips and info. We talked to our local UPS store re: shipping and heard some of what the world voyage lost luggage poster was saying re: customs issues when shipping clothing including used clothing. Shipping a bag back is out for us, but we have managed to trim down our stash. We upgraded our room and have free dry cleaning and laundry now. That saved quite a bit of packing space and probably some sore muscles as well. Thanks again!

Archived