Any reason not to transfer a booking from RCI to my TA?

My parents are taking the family (Mom, Dad, DW, myself, lil' sis and her boyfriend) on a cruise which they've currently made the initial booking and deposits through RCI directly. I've used a local TA for my last two cruises and had no problems getting in touch with her or getting prompt assistance with things; and would rather she get the commission than have the commission just stay within RCI. Further, RCI has managed to screw our reservation up such that it's required two follow up phone calls, first to fix my name, then to fix my age. Not exactly a smooth start the the RCI booking.

I'm thinking of bringing up the subject with my parents about moving the booking from RCI to the the local TA. She'll get the commission money instead of RCI, and will likely give us (a small) "thank you" gift when we sail. Any reasons that I seem to be missing as to why one might not want to transfer a booking aside from having to work through the TA rather than an RCI call center?

Thanks!

None at all! The TA will be thrilled and if you know she usually supplies a gift, it will be more than you would get by leaving the booking with RCL.

Just ask if you find the price has dropped later on if she will contact RCL on your behalf to obtain any price drops.

My parents are taking the family (Mom, Dad, DW, myself, lil' sis and her boyfriend) on a cruise which they've currently made the initial booking and deposits through RCI directly. I've used a local TA for my last two cruises and had no problems getting in touch with her or getting prompt assistance with things; and would rather she get the commission than have the commission just stay within RCI. Further, RCI has managed to screw our reservation up such that it's required two follow up phone calls, first to fix my name, then to fix my age. Not exactly a smooth start the the RCI booking.

I'm thinking of bringing up the subject with my parents about moving the booking from RCI to the the local TA. She'll get the commission money instead of RCI, and will likely give us (a small) "thank you" gift when we sail. Any reasons that I seem to be missing as to why one might not want to transfer a booking aside from having to work through the TA rather than an RCI call center?

Thanks!

If your cruise is already booked why transfer it? Your parents have already done all the work. Why pay someone else for a job they did not do? Once you transfer it, you lose control and have to go through your TA for everything. You can not contact RCCL for any changes.

If you insist on doing it, I would ask the TA outright if there is a drop in price on your cruise, will they honor it. And, will they honor it 100% or will they take a part of that drop for their commission.

Also ask them if you find a Crown & Anchor coupon for your cruise will the TA honor that also for 100% of that coupon or will they take a part of that for their commission also?

If they will not honor 100% of these, it may not be worth your receiving

(a small) "thank you" gift.

Just my opinion, I would not transfer it.

However, the group sounds fairly large (3 or 4 cabins). I'd find a TA who would give each cabin an onboard credit (depending on the total amount spent), not a little totebag or something. TA's cannot discount RCI cruises, but they can offer OBC.

Thanks!

I originally booked through RCI. Immediately after I changed it to a TA, I could no longer make payments through RCI online, and couldn't make certain changes myself. I'm the type to take control, and didn't care for losing the ability to do these things on my own.

Also, if you don't know the TA personally, as I didn't, they can make mistakes. Mine credited my on board account with my pre-paid gratuities calling it a "special occasion gift", and if I hadn't figured it out before we left....no one would have received their tips.

Just my opinion.....good luck! :)

My advice would be to stay with RCCL, the moment your TA has the booking RCCL will refuse to talk to you about ant aspect of the cruise.

A case in point is the Legend Charter debacle, everyone who had direct bookings with RCCL was dealt with quite quickly however those of us using TA s had a very frustrating time and in fact one year on I have just received my new booking details !!!!

Luv

Cy:)

On the other hand, if your TA will watch the prices for you, you may be better off with the TA. My TA just contacted me because RCL just added a senior discount to my cruise. He was able to upgrade me from an E1 to a D2 and reduce my fare by $400 per cabin.

My 2 cents worth. Give it to a TA & use that same one. We have made a great friend in ours. Granted we send her a ton of buisness. She has helped us on some flight cancelations that saved us a bunch of money. She has earned every dime she has made IMHO.

If your cruise is already booked why transfer it? Your parents have already done all the work. Why pay someone else for a job they did not do? Once you transfer it, you lose control and have to go through your TA for everything. You can not contact RCCL for any changes.

If you insist on doing it, I would ask the TA outright if there is a drop in price on your cruise, will they honor it. And, will they honor it 100% or will they take a part of that drop for their commission.

Also ask them if you find a Crown & Anchor coupon for your cruise will the TA honor that also for 100% of that coupon or will they take a part of that for their commission also?

You aren't paying the TA anything. Part of your cruisefare will be remitted back to the TA by RCI as a commission but that doesn't change the amount you pay for your cruise. The only diffference is that the amount of the commission reduces the amount that RCI ultimately receives and doesn't effect your cost. You mention that you have had good experiences in the past with the TA and bad ones with RCI so I think the answer is obvious. Most TA's do honor any price reductions that you are eligible for but you should, of course, confirm this with your TA before making the transfer. This "control" issue is really a non-starter in almost all instances. Any things that you might contact RCI for, can be handled on your behalf by the TA who may even know better than you, where to direct your question or request. :) If you are thinking about transferring your booking I hope you are doing it because of the service that the TA can offer you and not some relatively insignificant gift. :rolleyes:

My advice would be to stay with RCCL, the moment your TA has the booking RCCL will refuse to talk to you about ant aspect of the cruise.

A case in point is the Legend Charter debacle, everyone who had direct bookings with RCCL was dealt with quite quickly however those of us using TA s had a very frustrating time and in fact one year on I have just received my new booking details !!!!

Luv

Cy:)

Can't comment on the Legend situation but last year when the Jewel of the Seas was rescheduled, those who booked through a TA were advised of the situation well before those who booked directly with the cruiseline, and good TAs were able to negotiate far better alternatives than those who were left to deal with RCI on their own. Just ask those who were booked on Jewel's September, 2007 TA.:)

Will the TA charge a cancel fee if someone has to cancel, usually they do. You won't be able to reach the TA after hours or on week ends so if you see a price drop you'll have to wait till the TA is available. I prefer to keep control of my own booking. Sometimes right at final payment time if everything is set i may turn the booking over to a TA for an OBC. weigh the pros and cons.....:)

I always transfer my reservation to my TA one week before final payment is due. That way I have full control over the reservation up to that time, yet still get the (up to) 10% of the total cost of the cruise OBC that most TAs offer. It is a win-win situation.

I always transfer my reservation to my TA one week before final payment is due. That way I have full control over the reservation up to that time, yet still get the (up to) 10% of the total cost of the cruise OBC that most TAs offer. It is a win-win situation.

Ditto here. Then our TA pays for our travel insurance. On our last cruise with my DW parents..........they fell in a foreign port in Mexico, had to be rushed to the hospital, after being waived off of the ship. After a total exam, it was determined that my MIL had a broken femur, and the best alternative to an operation in Puerto Vallerta...which was not an alternative in their minds.........was to air ambulance them to Phoenix and have the Scottsdale ambulance pick them up and get them to our hospital.

Thanks to the TA giving us our travel insurance for giving the cruises to them.........we just received the total required to take care of them. The air ambulance was $23,950.00. So we will stay with our TA, giving it just before final payment is made.:D :)

Oh, by the way.........that was not the total.......just the air am portion.

Rick

=negc;14860326]You aren't paying the TA anything. Part of your cruisefare will be remitted back to the TA by RCI as a commission but that doesn't change the amount you pay for your cruise. The only diffference is that the amount of the commission reduces the amount that RCI ultimately receives and doesn't effect your cost. You mention that you have had good experiences in the past with the TA and bad ones with RCI so I think the answer is obvious. Most TA's do honor any price reductions that you are eligible for but you should, of course, confirm this with your TA before making the transfer. This "control" issue is really a non-starter in almost all instances. Any things that you might contact RCI for, can be handled on your behalf by the TA who may even know better than you, where to direct your question or request. :) If you are thinking about transferring your booking I hope you are doing it because of the service that the TA can offer you and not some relatively insignificant gift. :rolleyes:

I didn't say he had to pay the TA anything. I was referring to her commission he mentioned in his quote from RCCL.;) Why let RCCL give it to her for doing nothing was my question? His parents already did it all.

:

Originally Posted by jb008 viewpost.gif

Thanks!

Hey Alexis,

Per chance did you read my experience with having a TA?? One that cares of offer insurance.

You bet you can add the insurance with RCCL........and it's pretty expensive.

What are your thoughts on this?????

Rick

Hey Alexis,

Per chance did you read my experience with having a TA?? One that cares of offer insurance.

You bet you can add the insurance with RCCL........and it's pretty expensive.

What are your thoughts on this?????

Rick

I know there are many wonderful TA's out there. And I also know they work very hard.

But, I had a terrible experience where one stole almost $600 from us and left town during the night.

That was my last one. :(

I now prefer to do it myself.

My answer to the OP was not because of my experience. It was because if his parents already arranged the cruise, why take it from them?

If I were them I would be hurt. :o

JMO

? .. so when you turn reservation over to TA you lose control of it. Are you still able to go on-line and do the boarding process? Can you still prebook your tours without going through the Ta?

So to summarize:

The real downside is that you have to contact your TA instead of a 24x7 call center to get help with any reservation issues?

Another (possible) downside is that if the price drops or another obc special promotion runs you have to work with the TA to try to get the credit, as opposed to just calling RCI directly to ask?

Have I got the summary about right?

I've used the same TA for my last two Princess (shhhh I know this is the Royal Caribbean section!) cruises, and she was very prompt about getting back to me (<12 hours including weekends, notified me in advance when she was out of town and gave me an alt. number for her associate, and was proactive about finding price drops and "helping" to get me a great room on a guaranteed balcony category room). She was also very thoughtful with her "thank you" gifts - opting for something with a very personal touch rather than just a little cash (which really impressed DW).

For the record: Royal Carib didn't screw up the initial bookings that much. When my parents first made the reservation the agent misspelled my name, so I called to have them correct that. However, in correcting my name they managed to boost my wife and I from 24 & 25 to our Golden years (55+). I called back again to get our ages readjusted - and all things (minus 20 minutes of phone time) are fixed.

Thanks for the posts, I really appreciate the input!

If Royal Carib. is like Princess (can someone please confirm this for Dall) you still can do excursions and the preboarding information online, you just can't call Royal Caribbean's call center to change your room, ask for price adjustments, or change your seating.

Archived