Live! From the Tahitian (end of May)

jebush

Thanks for the review, Jeff. I'll be one of those getting on as you leave - June 12th sailing. I was also interested in the buffet hours at night and if they have regular dinner, as we are not planning on using the dining room too often. Are there any families with children on your sailing? We are taking along an infant and don't expect there to be too many other kids, but quite curious...

Hi folks - I'll see if I can remember most of the questions - I couple I'll have to check on as I don't know the answer (but if my wife wanders by, she has the 'restaurant schedule').

Weather has been FANTASTIC. Glacier Bay was the best ever. We were there for about 6 hours - not the 2 or 3 as in previous expeditions. Overcast, but very nice. We got 'fairly' close (closer than some of our trips) - saw a fair amount of calving (calfing?). Not as cold as some of our trips.

Buffet IS open for dinner every night. I don't know if it's open all night, although I know one couple went late (all they could get was salad! Seemed strange . . .)

I'll try to remember to chat to the "Rhapsody" band - I met the drummer yesterday. All of the staff on board was on deck as THEY wanted to see Glacier Bay as well!

IrishJayne is alive, living and creating her normal good times for all! We're going to do afternoon trivia with her in a few hours, so will pass on greetings.

Because we cruise so close to the mainland, seas have been incredibly smooth (or we've just been lucky). But almost NO motion up until now (4 days in). Will see what it's like going to Valdez and Kodiak before a final verdict!

On THIS cruise, there aren't many kids at all (less than 5, I'd guess). But it may be that because we're early, that's normal. But I still wouldn't count on many.

We actually contacted Princess before we left (about 10 days - maybe only 8?) and they set up a "Meet and Greet" for us on the second day (first full day - the day at sea). They did it in the Tahitian Lounge - even one of the cruise staff (Brie - from Australia) was there for us. If you check our old posts, I might have mentioned the 'branch' of Princess that set up the M & G. . . .

We're in Skagway, as someone mentioned. Again, very comfortable. Two other major ships in (Rhapsody and Radiance of the Seas), and the town isn't crowded at all. A very nice little book store in town - lots of local interest stuff (my wife is hooked on the Iditirod, so she picked up a couple of books). We're in all day. Many are off on the train ride, which we've done (and enjoyed).

Remember: entertainment is limited to the one dance band (Rhapsody), the quartet that does the shows, and a pianist. Also a DJ. So getting a group together and finding a nice corner to chat is a good idea.

Ship is quiet (not a lot of creaks or groans). Staff have been very good - many seem to enjoy the smaller ship. You soon recognize staff and cruisers you've seen before. Oh, most of the entertainment staff is from Australia - just an interesting point! The 'welcome onboard' party with the captain is VERY brief - 30 minutes. If you don't like the 'froo-froo' drinks they bring around, ask for anything and they'll bring it to you (well - within reason, I'm sure).

I think that's about it for now. I'll check on the EXACT hours of the buffet later - to see how late they're open. But they ARE open every evening when dinner is on.

Best wishes, all!

Jeff

If you can - please post if they will have self debarkation and how early that can be. We're wanting to set up a post cruise tour that will then take us to the airport.

One person from our roll call wants to know if there is a 24hr food court or at least an evening meal there (other than the pizza and alternative restaurants)and if room service offers things from the dining room menu or if it's just sandwiches.

Enjoy!!!!

Sorry - forgot about this question. We don't have any real information on debarkation. We ended up booking a Vancouver tour as they take you to the airport (if your flight is after 2:00). We find that it's not THAT much more than just the transfer and they get you off quickly. I don't know if they have a special lounge for Platinum, but we just normally go to the 'tours' holding room. Just what WE do.

but yes, you can eat every meal in the buffet area. It's not all that huge, but is normally plenty big enough for all. BTW, the rear deck - connected to the buffet - is a very nice place to sit out of the wind (they even have a coffee and tea station right there - outside) and watch the world go by.

Jeff

Jeff.

Thanks for posting. We are on the last cruise in Alaska for the T.P. this year, we board on the 4th September so we are happy that you have posted and told us everything that we needed to know.

We love the T.P., have been on her twice before, have been once on the Pacific Princess and have just spent 35 days on Oceania's Nautica, which is a sister ship so know those ex "R" ships well. They do rock and roll a bit when the seas aren't calm, but hopefully you will continue to have great weather.

Enjoy.

Jennie

Thanks for checking in again, Jeff. So relieved to hear that the buffet is open for dinner - I saw myself living on room service sandwiches for a week! I, too, have been following you on the bridgecam and it seems glorious. Can't wait to get on June 12th - we may even pass by one another. Thanks again, much appreciated!

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruise...I am especially to hear you reviews of the next three port stops, as they are all new for me. Hope you are enjoying your sea day!

Thanks for checking in again, Jeff. So relieved to hear that the buffet is open for dinner - I saw myself living on room service sandwiches for a week! I, too, have been following you on the bridgecam and it seems glorious. Can't wait to get on June 12th - we may even pass by one another. Thanks again, much appreciated!
I agree...this is great news. Flexible dining options are so important for Alaska (I can't imagine sitting through second seating dining after a busy port day in Skagway that started at 7am; likewise, I could not imagine leaving the deck or balcony in Glacier Bay in order to prepare for first seating dining; I have a feeling that the buffet will be popular on both these dates).

I agree...this is great news. Flexible dining options are so important for Alaska (I can't imagine sitting through second seating dining after a busy port day in Skagway that started at 7am; likewise, I could not imagine leaving the deck or balcony in Glacier Bay in order to prepare for first seating dining; I have a feeling that the buffet will be popular on both these dates).

This is great news. We are getting Anytime Dining on the TP. Well, kindof!

Hi Again. Wife is busy getting ready for formal night, so I have a little time. A couple of updates and to fill people in a bit. . .

If you're not having Princess book a Meet and Greet, a good time might be the first full day - a.m. (we did ours - albeit scheduled - at 10:00 and it worked great). We were in the Tahitian Lounge - nothing else happening there at that time.

Here's the schedule for the buffet in the evenings:

Dinner buffet - 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.

Pizzeria (in the buffet area) 7:00 - 10:00 p.m.

Bistro (ALSO in the buffet) 9:00 - midnight

"A selection of fress fruits, cookies $ Pastries - Midnight-4:00 a.m. (also in the buffet area)

I THINK the only day we tender is Sitka.

Today is at sea. Rougher than the other days, but we're in open ocean. Still less motion than many Caribbean cruises. They do a wine tasting on this day. As well, this is the day of the Captain's Circle party (free booze for 30 minutes!). It's the second formal night.

KPalmer - Jayne says "Hi" - was excited to hear you were online.

Otherwise, very relaxing day! Will be interesting to see the upcoming ports (Valdez tomorrow/Seward the next day).

BTW, the library is the most fabulous room! quite a bit bigger than many on the LARGER ships. Decor (for those not familiar with the TP) is more 'stately' (dark wood - less European look to it). Art is not fabulous - fairly understated.

Off to get in the penguin suit!

Jeff

Thank you so much for posting - we are enjoying your thread, and it is extremely helpful as we will be aboard for the Sept 4 sailing in Alaska. If you have time to comment on the ports of Valdez, Kodiak and Sitka, we would love hearing about them, as we will be in those for the first time on our upcoming cruise.

It was reassuring to learn that the buffet is indeed open in the evenings until 9 for dinner, as we are "anytime dining" fans, but chose late seating for this cruise. It will be nice to be able to have dinner at whim, and it is great to learn that the bistro is open from 9 onward.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!:)

Yet again, THANK YOU! Do you, by any chance, know what food is available when the buffet becomes the bistro? I will most certainly buy you a drink if we see you when we cross over on embarkation/disembarkation day - maybe we should plan on meeting up for anyone on the June 12th cruise who wants to show their appreciation!

HI, Jeff,

Thanks so much for posting information from your cruise! I'm happy to hear the ship movement isn't too bad, at least when you're near land. Also, it's good to know which are the formal nights.

We're sailing on August 7th---our first cruise ever---and I'm already gathering clothes, umbrellas, etc. for when it's time to pack.

I found a bunch of videos of the inside and outside of the Tahitian Princess on YouTube today. The ship looks grander than I'd expected after seeing a few still photos.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much for your postings. My wife and I will be on the Tahitian for the July 10th cruise and are looking forward to our first trip to Alaska.

A couple of quick questions if you get the time.

Do you know if they offer a Texas hold'em tournament on this ship?

We have a balcony cabin on deck six. I don't know where your cabin is but if it is one of the standard balcony cabins how has it been for the space? Have you had enough room and how is the bathroom and shower?

Thanks and have a great current cruise.

Archived