American Hot Dogs or what?

Harry1954

On our most recent HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam, we were informed at the grill that there were two types of 'hot dogs' served: the common one was actually a turkey dog, not beef or pork. Alternatively, one could order a knockwurst dog instead. We were surprised as we had not seen this on other HAL ships - that the turkey dog was the standard fare, but then maybe we did not ask ... has anyone else seen/heard of this on other HAL ships?

harry

I'd love to see our beloved 'southern, red dyed, all pork' hot dog on HAL.

On second thought, maybe not........the wife would not like to spend formal dinner with me at the grill...............

They all taste the same to me.

I used to work in a butcher's shop years ago. One of the butchers I worked with had previously worked in the [large corporate unnamed] hotdog factory. I foolishly asked him what was in hotdogs, and he replied:

"Just about everything they don't use for steaks, and about 10lbs of chemicals to kill the taste."

They all taste the same to me.

I used to work in a butcher's shop years ago. One of the butchers I worked with had previously worked in the [large corporate unnamed] hotdog factory. I foolishly asked him what was in hotdogs, and he replied:

"Just about everything they don't use for steaks, and about 10lbs of chemicals to kill the taste."

If and when I eat a 'tube steak' I prefer bratwurst. Please don't enlighten me as to what is in them.:)

I am glad I asked as I have a severe allergy to turkey ... love good old American hot dogs, but the turkey variety are verboten for me.

harry

I'm not allergic to turkey, but a hot dog of it:confused: Say it isn't so:cool:

I am glad I asked as I have a severe allergy to turkey ... love good old American hot dogs, but the turkey variety are verboten for me.

harry

I am that severely allergic to all manner of poultry. I have informed HAL of

this, I remind every person I can see in any dining room, and in the LIDO.

I am not a hot dog fan, so would never order them, but I constantly ask

if anything is made with turkey substitute. They always tell me about

the turkey bacon, but I have not heard of turkey hot dogs as the norm on HAL.

guess if they are doing that, I will pack an extra epi-pen.

On our most recent HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam, we were informed at the grill that there were two types of 'hot dogs' served: the common one was actually a turkey dog, not beef or pork. Alternatively, one could order a knockwurst dog instead. We were surprised as we had not seen this on other HAL ships - that the turkey dog was the standard fare, but then maybe we did not ask ... has anyone else seen/heard of this on other HAL ships?

harry

Same thing on the Ryndam this April - Solocanadian

Hot Dog ingredients - according to Wikipedia..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

There is no fixed specification for hot dog meat, with pork and beef being the most popular ingredients. Less expensive hot dogs typically contain some pork, but are primarily chicken, due to the low cost and availability of mechanically separated chicken. Hot dogs are generally regarded as unhealthy insofar as most have high sodium, fat and nitrate content. In recent years, due to changing dietary preferences in the U.S., manufacturers have turned to turkey, chicken, or vegetarian meat substitutes, and have begun lowering salt content.

In general, if a manufacturer produces two types of hot dog sausages, "wieners" tend to contain pork and are the blander of the two, while "franks" tend to be all beef and more-strongly seasoned. This is particularly true of Oscar Mayer products.

Hot Dog ingredients - according to Wikipedia..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

There is no fixed specification for hot dog meat, with pork and beef being the most popular ingredients. Less expensive hot dogs typically contain some pork, but are primarily chicken, due to the low cost and availability of mechanically separated chicken. Hot dogs are generally regarded as unhealthy insofar as most have high sodium, fat and nitrate content. In recent years, due to changing dietary preferences in the U.S., manufacturers have turned to turkey, chicken, or vegetarian meat substitutes, and have begun lowering salt content.

In general, if a manufacturer produces two types of hot dog sausages, "wieners" tend to contain pork and are the blander of the two, while "franks" tend to be all beef and more-strongly seasoned. This is particularly true of Oscar Mayer products.

You are quite right that they can put anything they want into something as nebuluous as 'hot dog' .. however, NYC streetvendor hotdogs are sooo good and I have no clue what they are made from, but I bet it is beef and pork parts .. not turkey - only a guess as I had to quit eating them when I became aware that they may contain poultry - only eat them when I know what the ingredients would be.

harry

Archived