Past Asia Cruisers - your advice is needed

aussieonwater

Hi All. We are looking to sail in Asia (Bangkok to Beijing) in October 2008. If you have sailed Asia around this time - did you experience rough seas? I'm ok with rain or hot or cold but i don't think i could handle rocking & rolling for 2 weeks. Any experience is appreciated...

Hi All. We are looking to sail in Asia (Bangkok to Beijing) in October 2008. If you have sailed Asia around this time - did you experience rough seas? I'm ok with rain or hot or cold but i don't think i could handle rocking & rolling for 2 weeks. Any experience is appreciated...

Would be helpful if yoou mention which ship you are looking at?

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry - it is Diamond Princess. Bangkok to Beijing or visa versa in October or November, 2008. Thanks...

We sailed on the Sapphire Princess in November 2007 with fairly rough seas and hardly noticed them apart from the sights from the library which showed huge waves. These large ships are fairly steady and I am one to suffer sea sickness crossing Moreton Bay. I had tablets but didn't use them at all. Good luck. The itinerary is great for Asia. Taiwan is a hidden jewel and can be done on your own or by a tour to the Chang Kai-shek memorial and take a train trip back. However, that does depend on your confidence and experience in travelling in Asia. People were very helpful. Enjoy!

We did this itinerary on the Pacific Princess which is a much smaller ship and had to deal with Typhoon Kaimai and there still wasn't much wave action (in my opinion and I get sea sick in the bathtub). Granted, the seas do what they will, but we didn't have any trouble.

Just want to let you aware that October and early November is typhoon season in Southeast Asia. Last year Sapphire Princess had to skip 3 ports (I think 2 of them are in Vietnam) in order to circumvent the typhoon.

gene

I concur that October is not an idea time for this trip. The official monsoon season for SE Asia is September through December.

September-December is also peak tourist season. The weather is the best-not too hot and humid. It is MISERABLE, unless you are used to heat and very high humidity, when the outside temperature is 95F and the humidity is 90%. The fall is also not cold, as it is in Beijing in January/March.

Yes, there are typhoons, but there are hurricanes in the USA the same time. People still cruise. The majority of Asia cruises on "American" cruise lines are September/December, although that is changing with more ships in Asia. Don't you think they would change time frames if they were worried about very typhoons?

but we did the October 17 to November 2 Bangkok to Beijing and had only 1 day of rain in 17, a few bumpy nights but nothing to worry about. The next cruise from Beijing apparently missed 3 ports and had terrible weather. But the itinerary is not to be missed, each and every port was memorable and I would highly recommend this cruise. As for the ship, standard Princess fare, very international passenger list

Just want to let you aware that October and early November is typhoon season in Southeast Asia. Last year Sapphire Princess had to skip 3 ports (I think 2 of them are in Vietnam) in order to circumvent the typhoon. gene

Actually it was four ports we missed. But the seas were not all that bad because the captain dodged the two typhoons. Attendance at the games, shows, dining rooms was only mildly affected. I did not see any seasick people but I am not saying there were none. Personally, I would encourage you to go on this cruise. The odds surely must be in your favor this will not happen again. And, even if it does, another life's experience with a few minor inconveniences.

We are booked on Oceania's Nautica Feb 27 through March 23, 2009.

Bangkok to Beijing with stops in Viet Nam, Hong Kong, Japan, Shanghai and Seoul.

Any information on the seas and weather would be appreciated.

At dinner on Reagtta last week our waiter said he thought the seas could be rough around Japan at this time of year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We Did The Cruise This Year,great Weather But Cool In Beijing.

Very Port Intensive.

I Wrote A Indepth Article Listed Under Asia In April

I Hope It Helps.

Doggylover

Dear Doggie Lover;

I too love dogs. I have a walking buddy I borrow and he is amazing. Why join a gym?

Anyway My husband and I are sailing on the Diamond Princess Oct 6 sailing Beijing to Bangkok.

Did you book your transportation from the ship or on your own?

Do you have someone you can recommend to get us from the pier at Laem Chabang to the airport in Bangkok. We are flying to Phuket right after the cruise.

Any information would be helpful.

Regards,

Canadian Dog Love Susan

Archived