Snorkel gear?

swom

I have a question about snorkel gear.....I have a pretty good snorkel set that I bought a Dick's Sporting Goods for my husband, but I am looking for one now for myself.

Do I have to get the expensive equipment at dive shops or sporting good stores or can I go to Walmart/Kmart and find a decent one cheaper?

Kmart has their's on sale this week at 20% off, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If all you are doing is snorkeling in relatively calm seas (no strong currents), the cheap fins that you can buy at Walmart/Academy/etc. are fine. With a mask, you really need to try it on and make sure it fits. If the cheap ones work, great; if not, you might need to visit a dive shop. I dove for about a year with a US divers mask and fins that I bought at Academy.

We started out snorkeling as well before going on to get various SCUBA certifications. The first year we used rental equipment. After that we bought our own or rather I bought gear for the both of us. Having our gear mad a big difference.

We started out with the basic gear consisting of mask, fins, snorkel and snorkeling vests. Let me make a couple of recommendations. Buy your mask from a dive shop. A well fitting mask is one of THE most important pieces of equipment to have. The dive shop personnel can help in making sure that whatever mask you might choose fits properly. Yes, you will pay more for a mask when purchasing it at a dive shop.

Fins and snorkels you can buy anywhere. COSTCO sells some middle of the road gear very inexpensively. Your dry snorkel is almost a commodity item and if you are comfortable with eBay it's a great place to buy both snorkel and fins. Our first fins were TUSA Xpert full foot fins which sell for $30-$35 there. Thee are great fins and require very little effort to propel you through the water. We use Oceanmaster dry snorkels but almost any 'dry' snorkel will work. I never paid more than $12-$15 apiece for the snorkels.

We both now have different equipment than when we first started because we have gone on to diving rather than snorkeling. However that first set of gear did serve us ell for several years and now is our backup gear.

Hope this is helpful and that you enjy that next snorkeling excursion.

I will second the idea of getting your mask from a dive shop. The quickest way to ruin a snorkel trip is a leaking mask. You will be stopping all the time to clear it instead of looking at the fish and reef. It becomes very annoying. The dive shop will assist you in fitting a mask to your face. Not all faces are the same, some are round, some oval, etc. When you go to the dive shop they will have an assortment of masks in the same price range so they can find one that will fit you.

Snorkels are J shaped pipes. Any one will do. Fins have to fit your foot. They are similar to shoes. Not everyone wears the same size shoe. Some feet are long, some short, some wide and some narrow. You want a fin that fits not too tight and not too loose. They have adjustments but that only goes so far. At the dive shop they will have different size fins for different size feet.

Properly fitted equipment will make for a more pleasant time. You are already spending money to get there, why not enjoy it with proper equipment?

Ditto on getting a good fitting mask.

If you think that you will be doing a lot of snorkeling and/or potentially start into scuba, you might want to go the extra yard and spring for a set of booties and strap fins. I have a large narrow foot and I could not wear slip on fins. The strap fins are adjustable to your foot and can be tightened or loosened to fit your needs.

The booties stay on my feet when I am diving or snorkeling. The fins come off and are stored out of the way. If you are seriously going to get into snorkeling, spring for a snorkel vest as well.... many think it is over kill, but it is a safety item.

If you enjoy snorkeling and will do it often. I would go to a dive shop and

buy the good ones.

We purchased good masks as they fit so much better. Plus they have glass

on the sides which gives you a nicer view.

I have a larger foot so sporting goods stores were out.

I would also recommend the vests which can be inflated for snorkeling.

Dive shops sell a variety of masks ranging from a midpriced masks to expensive masks. Midprice masks are in the $30-$50 range while expensive masks run anywhere from about $70-$130.

These are rough estimates based on numerous visits to the two dive shops with whom I do business. There are good masks in the $40-$60 range and having a good mask that fits you well makes all the diffrence in the world. There are high volume masks, low volume masks, one window, two window, three window & four window masks. The combination of these characteristics will depend on you and which mask fits you best. There is NO one perfect mask that I could recommend for everyone. It all depends on which mask fits you and feels good. It's the same reason they make more than flavor of ice cream and more than one color of automobile. The best thing to do is to pay a visit to a dive shop or dive shops near you and try on a variety of masks.

One tip I will give you is that two or four window mask works best for those of us who wear glasses. Many masks with two or four windows have diopter replacement lenses that work really well and which won't break the bank. My glasses are not decorative consequently both of my masks have the corrective lenses in them.

Hope this info proves helpful to you and havea great next snorkeling trip.

In Hawaii, dime stores or supermarkets have masks hanging loose that you can try on before buying. Price is good. For an occassional snorkelers, that's good enough. On the mainland, in regular sporting good stores or Coscos, masks are sealed in plastic. Buying a mask without first trying on is a very bad idea. Thus you need to go to a dive shop.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody snorkel or scuba with soft contact lenses? I have never snorkeled before so I don't know if I can wear them or not.

Thanks,

Hi,

I do both and have never had a problem with contacts. Just be aware that there's always the posibility of loosing one (wiping your eyes with your towel, etc.) so I always carry my glasses with me just to be safe (I'm blind without them). But your eye's are basically dry in the mask so they won't be exposed to water to float out.

Randall

I have been reading the posts and now I will buy my own mask, snorkel, fins and vest. My question is..."How do I know which kind of fins to buy?" I have heard of light weight ones, short ones, etc. Any advice?

Thanks

First there are two basic kinds, closed heal and open heal (a strap that goes around your heal). For snorkeling, most people go with closed heal fins; divers usually go with open heal. Since you normally snorkel in calm water on the surface, just about anything will work. Fit is probably the biggest thing. You'll want fins that fit comfortably, not to tight but not loose enough that they fall off while in the water.

Randall

Thanks! Closed heel it is! Do I just trust the dive shop to pick good equipment for me (that fits my price range)? Will my hair get tangled in the head strap when I take it off?

I think I have it.

1. closed heel fins-not too tight or loose.

2. mask-purge valve, 2-4 windows that will take the Rx lenses if needed.

3. snorkel-purge & top that closes under water.

4. vest- inflatable

I have regular beach/swim shoes. Will they work with the fins? I am planning to wear a T-shirt to snorkel in. Will it help at all? I will wear lots of sunscreen of course. What color T-shirt? Dark? Light? I wish I could afford a rashguard, but maybe next time.

Did I leave anything out? Thanks

Anybody snorkel or scuba with soft contact lenses? I have never snorkeled before so I don't know if I can wear them or not.

Thanks,

I have soft contacts and the mask doesn't bother me. I just bought a mask from academy and it works great. Just have to figure out how to keep it from fogging up? I have eye glass cleaner that says its anti-fog, but it don't work on the mask. Anyone have any suggestions, as I leave for my cruise in 10 days.

I have soft contacts and the mask doesn't bother me. I just bought a mask from academy and it works great. Just have to figure out how to keep it from fogging up? I have eye glass cleaner that says its anti-fog, but it don't work on the mask. Anyone have any suggestions, as I leave for my cruise in 10 days.

Your local dive shop (LDS) can sell you Sea Drops anti-fog. That is what I use in my scuba mask and it works wonders. Just a drop in each lens, smear it around and rinse lightly. Keeps things clear for a dive or two.

I have heard that a drop of baby shampoo will do the dame thing but I have never tried it.

Thanks! Closed heel it is! Do I just trust the dive shop to pick good equipment for me (that fits my price range)? Will my hair get tangled in the head strap when I take it off?

I think I have it.

4. vest- inflatable

I have regular beach/swim shoes. Will they work with the fins? I am planning to wear a T-shirt to snorkel in. Will it help at all? I will wear lots of sunscreen of course. What color T-shirt? Dark? Light? I wish I could afford a rashguard, but maybe next time.

For the tangled hair problem, look for a soft-strap (also called a snap strap) to replace the rubber band style strap on your mask. It is a wide, soft band that some of my long haired diving friends swear by. Should cost about $10. Try ScubaToys.com http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Masks.asp

Closed foot fins do not need swim shoes. Think of them as a shoe with really big soles. The most you will probably need is a pair of socks to prevent rubbing.

For the T-shirt I would recommend a long sleave one if possible. Sun-screen will wash off fairly quickly and you want to protect your arms.

I think I have it.

4. vest- inflatable

Do I just trust the dive shop to pick good equipment for me (that fits my price range)?

You of course can always shop around, but the little extra in cost from a dive shop pays off in fit and no leaks.

Will my hair get tangled in the head strap when I take it off?

You can get a "mask wrapper". It's basically a solid piece of neoprene that goes over the mask straps. They're pretty cheap, scuba.com has one for $7 (see picture) and I've seen them for less

Scuba--Strap-Wrapper.jpg

If you want to use beach/swim shoes, go with the open heel fins, the shoe will fit in the fin pocket and the strap goes against the back of the shoe. If you are going to wear closed heel fins, you can get 3mm neoprene socks. These are soft rubber socks you wear over your feet then put them in the fin. If you want to use socks, go about a 1/2 size larger so you don't sqeeze your feet too much.

As far as t-shirts, they really don't do much for sun protection (though they can add warmth). For warmth I'd go dark as it will absorb more sun. Rashguards are really the best for snorkeling. I don't know what you consider affordable, I found a bunch for around $20 (about the cost of a good t-shirt). Considering the benefits, and the cost of everything else that doesn't seem that bad.

Boy, you'll be the best equipped snorkeler out there. :)

Randall

I just do not want to get sunburned so badly that I can't do anything for the rest of the cruise.

Don't forget to put waterproof lotion on the backs of your legs, the back of your neck, your part in your hair and your ears (four areas that get exposed directly to the sun as you snorkel). BTW, if you get braids, don't forget your scalp. I don't know how many women I've seen with REALLY sunburned heads. :p

Randall

Don't forget to put waterproof lotion on the backs of your legs, the back of your neck, your part in your hair and your ears (four areas that get exposed directly to the sun as you snorkel). BTW, if you get braids, don't forget your scalp. I don't know how many women I've seen with REALLY sunburned heads. :p

Randall

Too true. I spent so much time snorkelling in the red sea that by the time I went home the back half of me was lobster red while my front was almost as pale as it was when I arrived.

Randall

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the little reminder about the scalp for braided hair. That is something I would have completely forgotten about. Thank you!

Read the fine print on the back of the tube or bottle of what ever lotion you intend to use. Often you'll see something that reads like this "Re-apply frequently particularly after swimming or heavy physical activity". The verbiage may vary but it will be there and it will be very similar.

If the stuff is truly waterproof why do you have to re-apply frequently particularly after swimming? The answer is that virtually all of the sunscreen lotions really aren't waterproof. Furthermore the volume of lotion that one has to apply to achieve anyhting like the SPF rating on the label is astonishing. There is a better solution though.

Wear a diveskin. A diveskin will protect you better including the backs of your legs and arms furthermore they aren't all that expensive. When in the Caribbean all we wear is a diveskin when diving. Before we became certified divers we did a lot of snorkeling and always wore diveskins then too.

Hope this is helpful info and prevents a painful lesson about sunscreens. Now go enjoy that next snorkeling excursion.

Thanks again! I will start looking for rash guards for around that price. I just do not want to get sunburned so badly that I can't do anything for the rest of the cruise.

I really appreciate all your help.

Rash Guard shirts are multitaskers. Besides some UV protection, they also provide a bit of warmth and protection from the little stingy things.

The best place to purchase one is a dive shop where you can try it on.

Remember, rash guards are designed for surfers. You know how sculpted they are.

I wear the Henderson brand. It's a looser fit. :p

I don't recommend it for the aforementioned reason, but if you're confident you'll getting a proper fit you can order on line thru Red Sail Sports:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/redsail/Categories?category=SHOP+Red+Sail+Sports+Grand+Cayman

Archived