Ocho Rios - Sandals vs Breezes?

JJHNLC

We will be on the Mariner of the Sea in December and looking at Breezes Resort or Sandals in Ocho Rios. Has anyone been to either and if so whats your opinion on each and how far away are they from the Pier? Thanks for your help!!:)

Hi, guys!

As you folks aren't getting much in the way of response I did a little searching and came up with some info for you.

These treads are about Sandals:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=10171566

And these are about Breezes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=10171599

Neither one got glowing reports. You might think about Margaritaville, which has a very nice beach and is about two minutes from the pier.

When we visited jamaica last year, our transportation stopped at many many all inclusive resorts. The nicest one, trust me, it's beautiful! was RIU Ocho Rios. All the people who stayed there had nothing but great things to say. When we go back, we will stay there. It's very fancy, elegant, tropical... The grounds are breathtaking, and the beach is supposedly amazing.... It's about 10 to 15 minutes from The pier in Ocho Rios.

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

Thanks for the links, but when I tried them, it said no matches for these searches.

I will checkout Margaritaville, I have been there 2 years ago, but I don't remember seeing the beach.

• 4 weeks later...

Were you able to get any information about Margaritaville. I wasn't sure there was one in Ocho Rios. I was wondering about the same thing you were Sandals vs. Breezes. Friends of ours were on Freedom in April and they loved Sandals. Someone else suggested Breezes so I am confused as to what one we should try in October.

Margaritaville in Ocho Rios opened in 2001 (I think) We are planning to go there in November.

I pulled up their website and here is what it says:

.....is a high-energy bar & grill, providing all-day family fun and nighttime entertainment. Features include a rooftop whirlpool tub, a 2-story 100 foot long waterslide that soars above the main bar and plunges into the freshwater pool below and 3 bars, including a swim-up pool bar

We were just at Margaritaville in April and just outside the restaurant is a beach. I think there is a $5 charge to use the beach or a $15 charge for 2 chairs and an umbrella which is what we did. It was nice to sit on the beach and look right over at our ship. There was a trampoline in the water and some pedal boats. The people working there were constantly keeping the water clean of any floating plants, etc. Plus the people selling their beads did not come to bother us in that area. However, if you strayed from that area, they came at you at full force.

We had originally scheduled the Sandals beach break but it was cancelled due to landslides after several days of rain.

We had our honeymoon at Sandals Ochos Rios and absolutely loved it. Our friends used the day pass and enjoyed it also. There are 2 Sandals in OR. Dunns River which is closer to the Cruise area and is smaller, more intimate and gorgeous and pefect for a day trip. The other is farther from the cruise ship area and alot larger but you will probably not be able to utilize many of the amenties there because you have to take golf carts and mini bus to get to alot of the stuff. I've never been to Breezes but Love to visit Couples on a day trip. I am not sure about there day pass policy, but we visit because we have a time share in the Couples resort.

We went to Sandals Grand in Ocho Rios in February. It rained most of the day but no lightening so all was good. We had the pool to our selves and went snorkeling at the main small beach. The excursion was through RCCI and the transport had no other stops but our own. Here a a few photos of the Sandals Grand that we took while there.

Sandals.jpg.d907c61a191516c914dcbaf6ce8b59f5.jpg

Sandals2.jpg.91d33b7898d78c3a98c108fe9c95fbc0.jpg

Sandals3.jpg.9c8ed02b589e09ebc3acae48c2bab022.jpg

Sandals4.jpg.ff50f4009d27769148678f95f3c5b8c2.jpg

Sandals5.jpg.ca278c49b9566c156ccc626f969e67a1.jpg

Our day at Sandals was great. The food we had there was very good, and the little beach where we snorkeled was not only raked but scrubbed. We sat eating breakfast and watching them dive down and clean the sea grass out of the beach and scrub the rocks on the beach. If you have the chance to go, I would highly recommend it.

2224779420092368476IycDqi_th.jpg"]2224779420092368476IycDqi_th.jpg[/url]

This is a link to my Webshots album. There are a few more photos you may find helpful.

Archived