Jeans in Dining Room

sweetladyjc

Herein lies the problem.....who decides "which jeans" are "nice". To those who wore "Bum Casual" ... they may have thought these were "nice jeans".

It is a slippery slope the only adds to the Walmart comments about Carnival.

It's my understanding that it would be the Maitre de since he is the person "in charge". I'm sure the kid thought he was dressed "nice". ;)

Yes, according to Carnival's policy, jeans are allowed in the dining room.

I think the real question your friends need to consider is - would they feel comfortable wearing jeans in a formal setting? Even though Carnival is allowing jeans, there will still be white tablecloths, cloth napkins, and formal place settings. Personally, I would feel very underdressed wearing jeans in that atmosphere.

Having said that, I'm not a person in my early twenties :o, with (I assume) a fairly casual accumulated wardrobe and limited funds. In other words, I don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe before I go on a cruise. If I were, I might be looking at this from an entirely different perspective.

Yes, the dining room is nicely appointed and all, but I've never been to a formal restaurant where the waiters sing and dance and people get on the tables. It's a fun place...not stuffy... Wear your jeans.

Herein lies the problem.....who decides "which jeans" are "nice". To those who wore "Bum Casual" ... they may have thought these were "nice jeans".

Not a problem at all.

Casual night: Jeans allowed.

Elegant night: Jeans not allowed.

There is no need to decide on an appropriate type of jeans, other than cut-offs (which are never allowed).

In the old days :

Casual - khakis and a polo shirt

Formal - Suit and tie

These days :

Casual - cargo shorts and a polo shirt

Formal - khakis and a long-sleeved button-down shirt

I am so happy. So much less packing to do.

I have a question more than a comment.

Would you feel comfortable wearing jeans to an very nice, upscale restaurant at home?:rolleyes:

I went to Paris earlier this year and was fortunate to go to the Opera Garnier for a ballet. Many people wearing nice jeans and tops.

I'm on vacation.

If I choose to wear jeans to dinner, that is my prerogative.

What I wear has no bearing on your food quality or service, and if you are spending so much time looking under the table at my jeans, you're going to have a hard time enjoying your meal anyway.

Eyes up!

I'm on vacation.

If I choose to wear jeans to dinner, that is my prerogative.

What I wear has no bearing on your food quality or service, and if you are spending so much time looking under the table at my jeans, you're going to have a hard time enjoying your meal anyway.

Eyes up!

haha, I love it. :cool:

btw.. eng = engineer? Mechanical here.. you?

Having said that, I'm not a person in my early twenties :o, with (I assume) a fairly casual accumulated wardrobe and limited funds. In other words, I don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe before I go on a cruise. If I were, I might be looking at this from an entirely different perspective.

I am in my early 20s and I do have a fairly casual wardrobe. I do plan to wear nice dark demin jeans with heels and a dressy top. I can't afford to go buy new outfits specifically for a cruise. They probably wouldn't be worn again. I wouldn't wear light colored baggy jeans though.

If I had the money, I would buy new clothes but I don't. If it were not for my parents paying for me to go, there is NO way I could ever afford to go. I'm not about to take advantage of them by asking for new clothes so well. :)

I' date=' too, live on the Mississippi coast and would wear nice jeans to just about any restaurant around here! ;)

With that said....I am packing for four people and don't plan on packing any jeans, mainly because of the luggage situation.

My DH and DS will be wearing khakis and shorts in the dining room because 1) they are allowed, 2) they are cooler and more comfortable and 3) they take up less room in luggage!

I'm sure they won't be the only ones![/quote']

I, too, live on the Mississippi gulf coast. My child recently graduated from high school and we took 10 family members to Ruth's Chris for dinner. Resort casual was the dress code. This included nice jeans. I may be in a minority but I see nothing wrong with nice jeans in the dining room.

I would not buy jeans at Walmart. I'm afraid they wouldn't hold up when sliding down a slippery slope. They do not sell Levi's at Walmart. :)

Hey Cotton! Do you recognize this place?:D

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2516099830091951123ogBKPF

Hijack.... Have you ever been to Tab Benoits restaurant? I love his music and would love to come some day to the voice of the wet lands festival. Now Tab looks great in jeans and I would let him sit at my table any day in them:D .

I do not wear jeans on cruises or land, except to work in my shop. So, even tho I am anti-jeans, I have to say that jeans are allowed. The new "elegant" dress code allows jeans. The old code NEVER disallowed jeans on Carnival. Other lines would mention jeans as allowed or not. Carnival NEVER addressed any jeans issue and always allowed them in the dining rooms. While I don't like them, they have ALWAYS been OK on Carnival and still are.

Dan

If I see people in the dining room with jeans on or not exactly following the dress code, I don't care. It don't bother me. Why should it bother any of you if someone else is wearing the wrong pants or not. I follow the dress code, but if I wore jeans to formal night, I wouldn't be embarassed. Who cares! Everyone is having a good time on the ship, everybody is in a good mood, why would you get upset over something like that? If your on the ship having fun all day, having a good time, about to eat a nice dinner, why would you care if 100 feet from you someone is wearing jeans instead of dress pants. OMG that's just awful!

Hijack.... Have you ever been to Tab Benoits restaurant? I love his music and would love to come some day to the voice of the wet lands festival. Now Tab looks great in jeans and I would let him sit at my table any day in them:D .

Yes I have but he closed it. He stays busy on the road doing concerts and with the Voice of the Wetlands Allstars. On June 17th Tab will be joined by author CC Lockwood and Head of Environmental Defense Paul Harrison in Washington DC to talk about the conditions and importance of the Wetlands prior to and following the 2005 storm season.

On August 24 Tab Benoit and the Voice of the Wetlands All-stars will open the Democratic Convention in Denver Colorado and continue with a string of non-partisan fund-raisers that will end on September 1st in Minneapolis for an invitation only non-partisan Republican Convention after party.

Tab and the band will use this opportunity to speak to guests about the importance of the Wetlands and New Orleans to the entire country. If you look at my friends on my Myspace page,(below) you will find a link to Tab's page.

Hi,

I have a group of 38 people cruising the end of July. Many of which are in there young 20's. I have heard conflicting things about the dress attire in the dining rooms. This is my 5th Carnival cruise and over the years I have always known to dress as casual resort wear to dinner. Is this still the case or is Carnival allowing guests to wear jeans in the dining room for dinner?

I am thinking the guys would like to wear jeans with a polo or button down shirt while the ladies wear jeans with a dress shirt and shoes :confused:

Under the revised dress code jeans are fine in the dining room except on the more elegant night. After all it is not a fancy restaurant, it is on a cruise ship 2 or 3 star tops.

Yes I have but he closed it. He stays busy on the road doing concerts and with the Voice of the Wetlands Allstars. On June 17th Tab will be joined by author CC Lockwood and Head of Environmental Defense Paul Harrison in Washington DC to talk about the conditions and importance of the Wetlands prior to and following the 2005 storm season.

On August 24 Tab Benoit and the Voice of the Wetlands All-stars will open the Democratic Convention in Denver Colorado and continue with a string of non-partisan fund-raisers that will end on September 1st in Minneapolis for an invitation only non-partisan Republican Convention after party.

Tab and the band will use this opportunity to speak to guests about the importance of the Wetlands and New Orleans to the entire country. If you look at my friends on my Myspace page,(below) you will find a link to Tab's page.

Thanks, I always wanted to go to his restaurant, guess I am too late. I love his music and support him in saving the wetlands. He was in Jacksonville recently and we went to see him again. He was looking too good without his beard, you might not care but I did. Guess I will have to come visit and find another restaurant to try.

Yes, the dining room is nicely appointed and all, but I've never been to a formal restaurant where the waiters sing and dance and people get on the tables. It's a fun place...not stuffy... Wear your jeans.

AMEN!!!

We ate at the buffet after returning from St. Thomas & St. Martin as we didn't feel like changing out of our jean shorts. The next time we had dinner in the dining room our waiter asked where we were and we explained the above. He said shorts...even jean shorts...were allowed except on formal night.

hmmmmm the site says; dress shorts (long),

But, I don't doubt for a minute that was said.

Who needs to pack jeans? Wear them on the plane and if necessary, boarding the ship. Put booze in the now free space in the suitcase.

True but, I'm not letting DH wear the same pair for the whole 8 days and he would. He does wear them to and from the ship and most the time as it is.

Archived