Jeans in Dining Room

sweetladyjc

Because yours was handy. I honestly don't care what others wear to dinner. I have never made comment to others about people wearing inappropriate attire to dinner, no matter where that dinner was. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, I feel that a cruise is something special and a gourmet dinner is not something I generally have the time or opportunity to enjoy. I personally feel that a gourmet dinner with a glass of wine is not something one would get at a Red Lobster or other local eatery. It is a GOURMET dinner. Unless I am accustomed to eating Gourmet meals on a daily basis, they are special. I will dress as though they are special and not a daily occurrence. I guess that is what my point is. If I want normal, everyday, I can cook it myself food, I will wear jeans as I do every day at home. I am not opposed to wearing jeans. I just won't be wearing them to dinner on my cruise. If you feel that your special experience is not enhanced by dressing for the occasion, go ahead. Dress in jeans. I will be sitting at the next table enjoying the atmosphere and excitement of being on a cruise ship, eating a gourmet meal, while sipping a glass of wine. That's all I was saying. To each his own... and mine is dressing up!!! :)

"To each his own" has been my stance through this whole silly thread. Before so hastily choosing my post to reply to with your OPINION I wish you would have read my other post where I said just as one should not look down upon those that choose to dress down so should we not pass judgement on those that choose to dress up! So dress up and have a great time.

I honestly don't care what others wear to dinner. I have never made comment to others about people wearing inappropriate attire to dinner, no matter where that dinner was. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, I feel that a cruise is something special and a gourmet dinner is not something I generally have the time or opportunity to enjoy...

I will be sitting at the next table enjoying the atmosphere and excitement of being on a cruise ship, eating a gourmet meal, while sipping a glass of wine in my nice dress. That's all I was saying. To each his own... and mine is dressing up!!! :)

I am not anti-dressing up! I like to see the ones that get gussied up and I remember enjoying it, too.

My problem is when others judge those who care to dress more casually. It has nothing to do with my level of education, culture, refinement or finances. It is my choice and if I care to dress down or up, it shouldn't matter to others.

If someone is offended by my jeans in the dining room, they have WAAAY bigger issues than what can be addressed on CC.

If someone is offended by my jeans in the dining room, they have WAAAY bigger issues than what can be addressed on CC.

Are you new to CC? Don't you know that none of us have anything better to do than stir up trouble, get people all riled up and then leave to watch how the chips fall. You know, people take these threads way too serious. I give my opinion because that's just what it is, my opinion. I will continue to give my opinion. If I just happen to answer someone's comment before I finish reading five pages of comments, don't get bent out of shape. I'm sorry if it offends. If my comment, or my choice in dress, or my view on dinner, or , or, or... bothers you... don't read my comment. It's just my opinion. Just as you have the right to your opinion.

I will look for you and your ilk on my upcoming cruise, craning your head to observe and judge the attire of all who enters the dining room, while whispering insults and critiques to your significant other and table mates.

You got that right.

Can you guys think of any threads that rile people up more than the dress code in the dining room?

These threads dissapear before you know it because someone gets offended or gets nasty.

Ooooh Ooooh! I know! Smoking and whiny children! I think those rate right up there with dress code:D

What gets me about all these dress code threads is that to many people , the minute you say you don't want to dress "formally" they immediately think you want to wear dirty ripped jeans, overalls, a wife beater t shirt or a bathing suit.

There is a broad spectrum of "casual wear" that is very nice. Nice Dockers, and polo shirts, Tommy Bahama type Hawaiian shirts, casual Rockport shoes, things like that. That is what comes to my mind when one is speaking about casual wear.

The people who love to dress like its Oscar night, more power to you, enjoy it.

Face it folks times are changing and the world is becoming more and more casual.

Just on this thread alone, we have heard from many people from a wide variety of places that state that casual dress is accepted in more and more places.

Go on your cruise and enjopy yourself and the people you are with. You can't be the fashion police and moral compass for everyone you see.

I have always enjoyed the food in all the cruise ship dining rooms I have been in, but to equate them to five star land based restaurants is really stretching it.

Again in what five star restaurant do they interrupt your meal to announce how many points the red , white , and blue teams earned today? :)

I'd rather see someone in jeans rather than someone wearing gartered polyester bell bottoms some people think is Formal Wear !!

And don't get me started on some of those gowns :D

I forced him to wear uncomfortable clothes and go without his baseball cap just to please everyone else.

*sigh*

I was going to avoid posting. Since it is now specified that jeans are Ok, I didn't understand the logic of jean haters trying to hang on to the fight. (I, myself don't like jeans in the dining room either, just to clarify)

BUT.....does your DH really wear a baseball hat while in the dining room??? :rolleyes: You had to talk him out of it, and then regretted it???

THIS is where I can then understand people hanging on to the argument...because you can look neat and properly dressed for dining in jeans, but there goes the slipperly slope. FTLOG, it is never proper etiquette ANYWHERE for a man to be seated at a table with a hat on.

Where did you see that jeans are ok? I just read two cruise lines and they are not allowed. Definitely hats are not for the dinner table anywhere. These peoplse should stay home and go to McDonalds. My husband would never think of having a hat on in the house. At the table my mother said absulutely not. Don't know where these people were raised. What has happened to manners?

The answer is quite simple.

I am on vacation, I pay for it, not you, and as a man I do not dress in order to impress you or anyone else.

I wear what I feel comfortable with.

That said, I do not wear ratty clothes to dinner, nor would I wear a bathing suit... I would not be comfortable in that

I would be comfortable in a pair of jeans or a pair of nice shorts, with a polo or collared shirt, at a regular seating.

On formal night, I am not going to wear a tux nor will I wear a suit. I have come to a place in my life where I do not need to ever wear one.

That is a luxury I enjoy and I am not giving that up for some nose-in-the-air judgmental person on a cruise ship.

Your concern over my attire is really your problem, not mine

I will look for you and your ilk on my upcoming cruise, craning your head to observe and judge the attire of all who enters the dining room, while whispering insults and critiques to your significant other and table mates.

Well said.

Where did you see that jeans are ok? I just read two cruise lines and they are not allowed. Definitely hats are not for the dinner table anywhere. These peoplse should stay home and go to McDonalds. My husband would never think of having a hat on in the house. At the table my mother said absulutely not. Don't know where these people were raised. What has happened to manners?

Jeans are allowed on CCL cruises (and NCL) not sure about RCI.

I don't know what happened to manners either. (In regard to the hat)

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

In a good portion of the U.S.' date=' Ruth Chris is simply an upscale steakhouse....not an elegant restaurant.....Sorry.[/quote']

Of course, the dining room on Carnival (and all of the mass market lines), with the singing and dancing waiters is certainly not in the same class as a Ruth Christ, more like a chain restaurant with table cloths serving banquet food.

It's not so much that people wear jeans to dinner. It is the whole idea of turning an upscale dinner experience into slopping the pigs at grandmas house. I mean, give me a break. It is 3-7 nights for the most part. Can't people just pack a couple of nice outfits and rotate them? Is it really that hard? If you want jeans, go to the buffet. No real dress code. If you want an upscale gourmet dinner where the waiters and waitresses dress for the occasion, shouldn't you dress in turn? Why is this such a hard thing for people to understand? I will dress for a gourmet upscale dinner no matter what Carnival says is allowed (obviously due to those who can't and won't follow guidelines to begin with). Okay, bashers... start bashing.... I can take it. I will be dressed accordingly while I am taking it as well....

There is no mass market cruise line that offers an upscale dining experience in any of its dining venues, including the ones you pay extra to enjoy.

*sigh*

I was going to avoid posting. Since it is now specified that jeans are Ok, I didn't understand the logic of jean haters trying to hang on to the fight. (I, myself don't like jeans in the dining room either, just to clarify)

BUT.....does your DH really wear a baseball hat while in the dining room??? :rolleyes: You had to talk him out of it, and then regretted it???

THIS is where I can then understand people hanging on to the argument...because you can look neat and properly dressed for dining in jeans, but there goes the slipperly slope. FTLOG, it is never proper etiquette ANYWHERE for a man to be seated at a table with a hat on.

The real truth of the matter is simply that gentlemen do not wear hats indoors, EVER. That is not a carnival issue that is manners 101, and entirely different (or should be) than the jeans issue.

The real truth of the matter is simply that gentlemen do not wear hats indoors, EVER. That is not a carnival issue that is manners 101, and entirely different (or should be) than the jeans issue.

I don't disagree with you at all. Jeans are allowed and I've accepted that. On the other hand, I will never think anything positive about a man I see wearing a hat to dinner.

You're right...100% right, it's manners 101.

It seems too many parents forgot to teach it.

There is no mass market cruise line that offers an upscale dining experience in any of its dining venues, including the ones you pay extra to enjoy.

Actually, Celebrity's surcharge restaurants are upscale. (But they have a better handle on their dress code)

CCL and NCL, no.

Archived