Jeans in Dining Room

sweetladyjc

Actually, Celebrity's surcharge restaurants are upscale. (But they have a better handle on their dress code)

CCL and NCL, no.

I do not believe you would be excluded from dining on Celebrity if you were wearing jeans. :confused:

I think this is ridiculous. If you want to wear jeans, wear them unless its stated as a formal attire night. If it is not formal attire, wear what you want. You only live once and your on vacation, I know I like to relax and if its not formal, I will wear jeans and a polo shirt. I dont think I look bad, it would be the same outfit I would wear if I went to a club, out around town, or to church. If others want to say I am ill mannered that is up to them.

I dont think I look bad, it would be the same outfit I would wear if I went to a club, out around town, or to church. If others want to say I am ill mannered that is up to them.

Over the course of sooo many years I've had the argument about jeans and church a dozen times with my children. "God doesn't care what I wear". Totally agree but you should choose to honor Him with your best. If jeans are your best and all you have you should wear them. But when you dress better to go hang with your friends on Saturday night than you do when you visit His house. Shame on you.

Showing my age but when I was growing up your clothes matched the occasion. I had school clothes, church clothes and play clothes. I knew exactly what was expected of me when my mother told me what I was wearing. If we went out to eat in my play clothes than it wasn't much of a SPECIAL occasion but if we went out to eat in my church clothes than something BIG was being celebrated.

In my school clothes I didn't roughhouse or swing from the monkey bars. Even during recess my behavior was a little toned down. I was wearing my school clothes.

I am no fashion plate, don't really pay much mind to my clothing. There is that old saying about not being able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear that fits me perfectly. However, dressing for dinner makes it a special occasion for me and I do think that many people will miss out on that special feeling if they come to dinner in their "play" clothes.

Jeans are acceptable wear for our infrequent dinners at our house. However, when we are on a cruise, we expect our 2 teens to "dress" for dinner - that excludes jeans. I recently told dd16 of the change in dress code on Carnival. Her reply? "So what? - I enjoy getting a bit fancier for dinner - we aren't eating off paper plates like at home!" - LOL! As for the hat issue - as a teacher, I am on a personal mission in my elementary school to have everyone remove their hats as soon as they walk into the building. It is hard fighting my "younger" colleagues, who seem to feel that boys/girls wearing hats indoors is acceptable. I was raised with the fact that it is a common courtesy NOT to wear hats inside. Is it a matter of life and death? Definitely not - but if the kids are not learning manners from us, who will their role models be? A simple "it's not polite" suffices with these 5-12 year olds. However, their parents constantly wear THEIR hats inside the building. Also, a simple "please remove your hat while indoors" works for them, too. Many just don't know... but, to each their own. We will continue to do what we do, as others will do what they do. Won't make or break our vacation in any way, shape or form.

We will continue to do what we do, as others will do what they do. Won't make or break our vacation in any way, shape or form.

As it should be. Like the old saying.....you can't teach an old dog new tricks nor would you want to stand in the way of progress;)

I'd rather see someone in jeans rather than someone wearing gartered polyester bell bottoms some people think is Formal Wear !!

And don't get me started on some of those gowns :D

Hey Tatay!

Me, too. I'd rather see jeans than the lady in her formal dress with her boobs pushed up so high they almost smack you in the face as you are trying to eat your meal across from her, which happened on a cruise once. I think I may have seen a hair:p . It was very distracting, much more so than a pair of jeans would have been.

Hey Tatay!

Me, too. I'd rather see jeans than the lady in her formal dress with her boobs pushed up so high they almost smack you in the face as you are trying to eat your meal across from her, which happened on a cruise once.

I'll be happy to sit at her table! :D

BTW, as a 49 year redneck from South Carolina, I'd never wear jeans OR a baseball hat into a nice dining room on a cruise ship. Now, in the buffet line? No problem.

The fact that someone asked the question initially shows they were afraid the answer would be "no". :p

We have always dressed when eating in the dining room and therefore on our last 2 cruises ate at the buffet or room service because we did not feel like dragging dress clothes with us, with that said I hardly think of a cruise ship dining room as elegant or fine dining. It is pre prepared food sitting in the kitchen waiting to be served, it is like a catering hall and in no way compares to an elegant fine dining restaurant. Here on the Gulf Coast of FL dress shorts for men and capris for ladies is acceptable attire for our nicer restaurants, it is a more relaxed atmosphere as is a cruise ship.

I can never believe how long these "jeans" threads drag on! But I'm the type who shakes my head over the "which bracelet or necklace should I wear" threads! A cruise ship vacation is a let your hair down fun in the sun good time. Plain and simple. I don't know how people can think a day of hairy chest and belly flop contests morphs into the high anxiety and protocol of a state dinner or an audience with the pope!

The muster drill is mandatory. Knowing what to do in the case a real emergency at sea is a matter of life and death. If the fabric content of a pair of pants were of such vital importance, it would be mandatory in capital letters. But it isn't. Beyond the muster drill, it's all fun. Those who make it SO important who is wearing what are the ones who are trying to make this cruise ship experience something it's not! Just enjoy your own experience and don't let anyone wreck it for you. When you see someone who doesn't have the good sense to dress "appropriately", just smile and move on. And happy cruising all!

I can never believe how long these "jeans" threads drag on! But I'm the type who shakes my head over the "which bracelet or necklace should I wear" threads! A cruise ship vacation is a let your hair down fun in the sun good time. Plain and simple. I don't know how people can think a day of hairy chest and belly flop contests morphs into the high anxiety and protocol of a state dinner or an audience with the pope!

The muster drill is mandatory. Knowing what to do in the case a real emergency at sea is a matter of life and death. If the fabric content of a pair of pants were of such vital importance, it would be mandatory in capital letters. But it isn't. Beyond the muster drill, it's all fun. Those who make it SO important who is wearing what are the ones who are trying to make this cruise ship experience something it's not! Just enjoy your own experience and don't let anyone wreck it for you. When you see someone who doesn't have the good sense to dress "appropriately", just smile and move on. And happy cruising all!

Well said!

Archived