Extra Person Sleeping in Stateroom?

travellady

When I booked the Inspiration Dec 20 5 day sailing, there were no verandah cabins, either cat 11 or cat 12 available. One cat 11 just became available - final payments are due soon so I suspect some people are rethinking and making changes. So, I was thinking of upgrading my husband and I up to the Cat 11 and downgrading my 25 year old and 11 year old to a 1A - the total price will go up slightly but not much by taking this approach.

However, the plan would be for my 25 year old to have his own room - the 1A - which he is quite happy with, and have the 11 year old sleep in our room on the pullout sofa. Since we won't actually book the 11 year old in the Cat 11 but technically keep him in the 1A with his brother, would there be any issues in taking this approach? I also looked into booking my 25 year old son as a single in a 1A and then my 11 year old would book in the Cat 11 as a 3rd person. But, the total price then jumps quite a bit more so I won't take this approach.

Since there hasn't been any Cat 11's availalbe and now there is one, I want to get a hold of my TA the first thing in the morning if this is a viable option. I suspect it may go fast. And, it's not even one of the obstructed rooms.

Has anyone had an extra person in their stateroom who wasn't booked in that particular room? We will have enough beds so that shouldn't be an issue.

If you want the Suite why not call CCL and book it now and then have your TA take the reservation on Tuesday when they open up. The only other cost is the extra tip for the steward.The 1a is expecting 2 tips for 2 people and the cat 11 will want extra up front so they don't complain.

Steve

I suspect the extra tip is a good idea.

Has anyone on this board done this before without issue? I suspect my 11 year old son may not want to stay with my 25 year old if his room is not close to ours. He was OK on the Voyager because they were down the hall but in this case, it's several decks different. My 25 year old is gone most of the night and my 11 year old was uncomfortable sleeping alone. Therefore, moving him up to our suite is something I need to seriously consider.

For those wondering, I just talked to Carnival and they don't see this as a problem at all since there is enough bedding in a suite for 3. Now I'm trying to get ahold of my TA for pricing since I already booked with them I need to know the upgrade price - I suspect it's different than what Carnival has quoted me.

I was going to do the same. The price figured about the same also. two in a 1A is 1,000

a single in a 1A is 700 and a third in a cat 11 is 325.00

The cat 11, I want does not book for more then two. (7298) 1A room will get an expected tip for 2 people in there. My son alone is like cleaning up after 2 or 3 anyway. (23 years old)

At least this way, if there is a problem, daughter has a choice of where she can sleep.

If you get the 1A at the elevator on deck 1 the walk between cabins wont seem so far. :)

Hi. Last year on the Glory, we had adjoining interior cabins on Upper deck booked for myself, DH, my stepson (17) and my daughter (1). My 11 year old son was booked as an extra person in my sister's cabin. He never slept there at all. We had a crib put in our room for my daughter. My son either slept in the empty bed a couple of nights and the others he spent on the sofa in my parents 8A cabin. We gave an extra tip to our cabin steward, as she had a extra person to deal with some of the time and my parents gave an extra tip to their cabin steward. They didn't even technically have space for an extra person, but the cabin steward was more than willing to put linens on the couch, especially since he was tipped well. Happy cruising.

Joanne :)

Sadly, by the time my TA go a hold of Carnival to do this upgrade for me, the cat 11 mini-suite was gone :-(. I'll keep my eye on this though as final payment is due next week and possibly some will pop up again at that time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sadly, by the time my TA go a hold of Carnival to do this upgrade for me, the cat 11 mini-suite was gone :-(. I'll keep my eye on this though as final payment is due next week and possibly some will pop up again at that time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ask your TA to keep trying. Cancellations are made all the time and what might not available today, may be available tomorrow, and visa versa. I am a part-time TA and I have access to the booking website for travel agents only. Just out of curiousity, I just checked on that catagory for your sailing and it appeared there was one catagory 11 cabin available. However, 5 minutes later, it was gone! So, depending on how much time and effort your TA wants to spend on this, you might or might not still be able to get that catagory. If she hasn't already done so, maybe you can have her ask Carnival to put you on a waiting list for a catagory 11.

Unfortunately (though from a pricing perspective fortunately) I am working with an email only TA - one of the bigger online agencies. So, by the time I email them, and they turn the request around, it seems the Cat 11's are gone. I found another one open today, emailed them right away when I saw it, by the time they got to it it was gone. I belive final payment is due next week (it's a Dec 20 sailing and I've already paid in full so haven't kept track) so I'll continue to keep my eye on the Cat 11's - possibly a few cancellations.

I won't be unhappy with my Oceanview but sure would be nice to have a balcony. I did book at Cat 12 on my Feb 20 Paradise sailing but that will be a colder trip - California and the Baja aren't super warm in Feb. This one being a Caribbean trip will be much warmer and I want to soak up as much sun as possible.

Tip, instead of e-mailing them when you see the cabin come up, put in for a new quote request. They do those faster. It locks the cabin for a while so you can then start the e-mailing to explain what to do with the cabin you just got a quote on.

I have found the "on-line" agency the absolute best as far as getting a cabin when I see it available. Never was an agent able to work that fast for me.

Soon after I posted I looked again and lo and behold, the Cat 11 V3 had popped back up. Immediately got ahold of my online TA (they had just sent a quote that said no availability after I used the online quote request). I took this, replied back to them and told them the V3 I was looking at was once again available in 3 other online sites I check as well as the Carnival site. I asked them to check once more and voila! - it was available and I booked.

It's our anniversary in December so I'm surprising my husband with an extra big room and a balcony to go with it. I won't divulge the fact that it cost me an extra 420.00 :-).

Soon after I posted I looked again and lo and behold, the Cat 11 V3 had popped back up. Immediately got ahold of my online TA (they had just sent a quote that said no availability after I used the online quote request). I took this, replied back to them and told them the V3 I was looking at was once again available in 3 other online sites I check as well as the Carnival site. I asked them to check once more and voila! - it was available and I booked.

It's our anniversary in December so I'm surprising my husband with an extra big room and a balcony to go with it. I won't divulge the fact that it cost me an extra 420.00 :-).

greetings travellady --

i know that anniversary will be extra special now! good things come to those who wait! the squeeky wheel gets the oil! them that has, shall get. pick a cliche -- we're all tickled for you!;)

Now my next big challenge will be trying to switch from the Paradise to the Pride in Feb if my son's soccer team doesn't go on to the finals during their winter tournament. It's possible the weekend the Pride departs is one he'll have a game in. We won't know until after final payment is in for the Paradise and during the 50% cancellation fee penalty period. So, I decided to book the shorter Paradise cruise so we can at least go on that with plans to possibly xfer the booking to the Pride 2-3 weeks earlier than sail date. Carnival said this can possibly be done without penalty if the cruise I want to move to is more expensive than the one I'm moving from and if there is availability - but no guarantees. I'll cross this bridge if and when I have to.

In the meantime I'm happy and I'm counting down and looking forward to my December cruises.

And yes, I keep thinking I'll be happy with an Oceanview but when push comes to shove, I want that balcony :-)

I'm glad to hear that it all worked out for you. Next time, try a live agent....LOL (just teasing ya!)

Archived