What Will You Do If Formal Nights Are Discontinued?

RevNeal

If Holland America Line discontinues all Formal Nights, you will:  

348 members have voted

1. 1. If Holland America Line discontinues all Formal Nights, you will:

• Quit HAL
    • Continue to cruise HAL and dress for Formal Night
    • Continue to cruise HAL and dress for Formal Night while also cruising other Lines
    • Dance a jig on the topless deck (wow!)
    • Start cruising HAL because of the change
    • Cruise HAL even more

Now you're talking!

It's YOUR cruise that you paid for with YOUR money. If you want formal nights, then you should have them. If you don't, well, that's okay too. Of course, HAL needs to ensure dress doesn't degrade too badly ... there should be some standards maintained (I personally say resort or country club casual), but other than that, everyone should be free to dress in the manner they feel most comfortable.

Blue skies ...

--rita

But if someone paid for THEIR cruise with THEIR money, shouldn't they have the freedom to wear shorts and flip flops to dinner? :D

My choice isn't listed - learn to live with it.

"Learn to Live with it" could have multiple different meanings, depending upon one's attitudes and desires. For instance, for ME "learning to live with it" means continuing to go about doing what I enjoy on a cruise, and that means dressing up at least a few times on a 10+ day cruise. For someone else, "learning to live with it" might mean "dumping formal clothing" even though they might prefer to keep dressing up (we've already seen this from several on this thread).

I was looking for a somewhat more specific kind of response than a general "learn to live with it" answer.

Well ... in theory there IS a "topless" deck. It's the one without a deck above it. On most HAL ship deck plans it called the "Sky Deck."
Well, if you're going to be that literal... in addition to the Sky Deck, aren't the midships of the Sports Deck, aft Lido, and aft Navigation also topless??? ;)

You know, we've all seen the nice glossy brochures that HAL puts out touting the 'features' of their ships and why one should sail on HAL. I've never seen HAL promoting topless sunbathing. :eek: Could it be because they don't offer a 'topless' deck????

We choose HAL in the most part for the ambiance. HAL spends millions on the ships decor. It does look different if everyone is dressed for cleaning out the garage or running to McDonalds. A friend once asked us why we cruise on a line with formal nights. I responded that it makes the vacation 'special' - different from our normal lives. She understood.

When selecting a cruise we look at the HAL itineraries. When finding one that appeals to us and we can afford it, we book it. If the ambiance is gone, I can't say we'll stay with HAL. Price will play a MUCH bigger role. As it is now, we select a HAL cruise without looking to see if we can get it "cheaper" on another line. That will change if the HAL ambiance is gone, I see nothing (other than the crew) to keep us with HAL.

As I've mentioned before we're now looking at other lines. I currently have 69 days booked on HAL in the next year. After that, who knows.... We also love Walt Disney World. With their restrictive smoking policies and the lack of 'special' ambiance on HAL, we may just go back to all Disney vacations.

Cruising is not 'one size fits all', nor should it be. The cruise lines should have their won niches. It looks as if HAL is trying to please everyone - and failing.

I agree with KK. Go with the flow and live with it. We do like to dress up and I would have to mothball my three tuxes but so goes the war. My wife likes to dress up more than I do and I have not poled her on this subject. With the change in baggage fees, and progressively more casual attire I think that it is a for gone conclusion that formal night will go the way of the Dutch dinner.

I don't understand why one would "have to" mothball Tuxedos and not dress up? If that's what you want to do, why quit?

So it's the Sky/Sports/Observation/Topless/Doing the horizontal Mambo at Night Deck

LOL ... that's about right ... but also add to that "Stargazing at night." One has to be careful, though ... the heavy breathing from near by might fog up my astronomical binoculars' lenses. :D

But if someone paid for THEIR cruise with THEIR money, shouldn't they have the freedom to wear shorts and flip flops to dinner? :D

Sure, if there was'nt any dress code. But if there is, no they should'nt have that freedom.

And if there isn't any dress code, then people can decide if they they want to sail with that cruise line, same as the decision people who prefer shorts and flip flops had when they booked a cruise with a dress code.:cool:

Well, if you're going to be that literal... in addition to the Sky Deck, aren't the midships of the Sports Deck, aft Lido, and aft Navigation also topless??? ;)

Yes ... but the kiddies can see it (them) there, so I don't recommend letting it all hang out in those areas. ;) :D

We choose HAL in the most part for the ambiance. HAL spends millions on the ships decor. It does look different if everyone is dressed for cleaning out the garage or running to McDonalds. A friend once asked us why we cruise on a line with formal nights. I responded that it makes the vacation 'special' - different from our normal lives. She understood.

And I understand that too. It's part of why I cruise HAL.

When selecting a cruise we look at the HAL itineraries. When finding one that appeals to us and we can afford it, we book it. If the ambiance is gone, I can't say we'll stay with HAL. Price will play a MUCH bigger role. As it is now, we select a HAL cruise without looking to see if we can get it "cheaper" on another line. That will change if the HAL ambiance is gone, I see nothing (other than the crew) to keep us with HAL.

That is also part of my thinking. I'm going to become more prone to check out what other lines have to offer, too. If the service is going to be similar, and if the itineraries and prices are right, then I might go with another line rather than with HAL if the ambiance/feel of the cruise is damaged. Why should I bother being loyal to a line that has proven it's not going to be loyal to me by providing me with a product I want to buy? If HAL provides that product, I'll buy it. I they don't, I'll feel free to look elsewhere for it. Somehow, I suspect that HAL won't really do away with Formal Nights ... not altogether. Perhaps some itineraries will see "Formal Optional" become a standard, but the kinds of long-range adventure cruises which we like will probably still see Formal Nights, etc., if for no other reason than a large number of the people who take those cruises like those formal night features.

As I've mentioned before we're now looking at other lines. I currently have 69 days booked on HAL in the next year. After that, who knows.... We also love Walt Disney World. With their restrictive smoking policies and the lack of 'special' ambiance on HAL, we may just go back to all Disney vacations.

Indeed ... similar situation. I don't have quite as many days booked, but I have a lot on my schedule and I will enjoy them. If, after my Zuiderdam cruise in May, I feel I need to start looking elsewhere, I will. As of right now I'm thinking of a late summer or early Fall crossing on Cunard. I want to try out the QM2

Sure, if there was'nt any dress code. But if there is, no they should'nt have that freedom.

And if there isn't any dress code, then people can decide if they they want to sail with that cruise line, same as the decision people who prefer shorts and flip flops had when they booked a cruise with a dress code.:cool:

I agree with you, except that the point is that HAL has a dress code, but they frequently ignore it, inconsistently enforce it, and allow all manner of undress and distress throughout the ship. Short and t-shirts with ball caps and flip flops on Formal Night in the Main Dining Room on one ship, one cruise, and men being barred from entering the Main Dining Room for lack of a tie on another ship.

Carnival has signs denoting topless decks. HAL doesn't. :)

I sure wouldn't consider that "promotion". I think it's more of a warning for folks who might not feel comfortable up there for a variety of reasons. ;)

I agree with you, except that the point is that HAL has a dress code, but they frequently ignore it, inconsistently enforce it, and allow all manner of undress and distress throughout the ship. Short and t-shirts with ball caps and flip flops on Formal Night in the Main Dining Room on one ship, one cruise, and men being barred from entering the Main Dining Room for lack of a tie on another ship.

HAL has a suggested dress code!:cool: There is a difference!

This is a simple poll ... you're also welcome to share your thoughts regarding what you'll do on this thread. Given that some seem to be overjoyed at this rumored change, while others are not, I thought a poll would be instructive.

Regarding "How can one dress for formal nights if they've been discontinued"?

Cute point ... Make your own formal nights.

We're already doing that, to a degree, by continuing to dress up on those nights that are designated "Formal" but are being ignored by some.

I would have voted for #2 continue and dress formal on our own but for some reason it seemed to be of the opinon i had voted before? if this is happing to more people than me i question the results

HAL has a suggested dress code!:cool: There is a difference!

Indeed.

It's a "suggested" dress code in which, as is often published in the Daily Program, "Jacket and Tie Required for Men" and in which it states: "T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours." Granted, the code is listed as "suggested," but terminology like "required" and "not allowed" do indicate that there is something more than a mere suggestion in play here.

When you say to a driver "would you please set out of your car, sir?" are you suggesting it? You used the word "please," and you phrased it in the form of a question not a command, but you and I both know that it's an order, not a suggestion or a request.

When HAL issues its suggested dress code they do so with the assumption that people will follow their suggestions. Those who don't often don't have any consequences for it. But they sometimes DO ... as when men are ejected from the main dining room for not wearing a jacket and tie -- that jacket and tie which is sometimes listed as being "Required" in the Daily Program. On such occasions, how "suggestive" is the "Suggested Dress Code?"

I have'nt seen that degree of "under-dressing", although I've only been on three HAL cruises. Sure a couple of minor instances, but never shorts, tees or flip flops. So far, from the passenger demographic I have seen on HAL, I doubt that transgressions would ever be widespread if the status quo is maintained, with any transgressors being the odd exception but not the rule.

So if a few couples are allowed to enter the dining room "under-dressed", and everyone else is dressed accordingly, so be it. If that is the case, the collective ambience people appreciate on such nights will not be affected.

I would have voted for #2 continue and dress formal on our own but for some reason it seemed to be of the opinon i had voted before? if this is happing to more people than me i question the results

I'm not sure of your question since it appears you statement, above, was garbled in typing. However, I notice that you have, indeed, voted for option # 2. So, I don't understand your problem.

I have'nt seen that degree of "under-dressing", although I've only been on three HAL cruises. Sure a couple of minor instances, but never shorts, tees or flip flops. So far, from the passenger demographic I have seen on HAL, I doubt that transgressions would ever be widespread if the status quo is maintained, with any transgressors being the odd exception but not the rule.

They are, indeed, an "odd exception" and not "the rule." In all my HAL cruises (165+ days aboard ship) I've only had one cruise in which it was so bad that appreciable numbers of people were ignoring the code and dressing in shorts and t-shirts in the main dining room. They were still not a majority of the ship, mind you, but they were evident in large numbers. They are, however, the exception.

So if a few couples are allowed to enter the dining room "under-dressed", and everyone else is dressed accordingly, so be it. If that is the case, the collective ambience people appreciate on such nights will not be affected.

Normally, I agree with you. Normally. It's the exception, like that mentioned above, that blights the pictures. :( And, sadly, I (at least) fear that this is the direction we're moving ... toward greater and greater casualness. It's what we see in our general culture today.

When HAL issues it's suggested dress code they do so with the assumption that people will follow their suggestions.

The point that I make frequently is that the dress code should be followed. HAL offers evenings to suit a broad spectrum of preference. By encouraging everyone to respect the code, we encourage everyone to respect each others preferences, and each other. There is a definite moral high ground there.

Are we not hoist on our own petard if we say we will break the code and wear a tux on an a ship with an all informal or casual dress code?

I know it is a mischievous question.

Greg, while I voted "Continue to cruise HAL and dress for Formal Night " I have to say that we most likely will not always dress Formal, it will depend on the occasion. Also we will mostly still cruise HAL but may cruise another line once in a while like we are doing next May with Princess. I like HAL a lot and the dressing Formal is way at the bottom of the lists I do like about HAL. While I love HAL Formal nights, it is far from a deal breaker.

Something tells me that if we see HAL do away with Formal nights then Princess, Celebrity, RCCL and Carnival will be also doing so either right before or right after very close to each other. The only line I see that would not would be Cunard.

I believe that Seabourn has eliminated formal dress. Didn't use to be formal almost every night?

They are, indeed, an "odd exception" and not "the rule." In all my HAL cruises (165+ days aboard ship) I've only had one cruise in which it was so bad that appreciable numbers of people were ignoring the code and dressing in shorts and t-shirts in the main dining room. They were still not a majority of the ship, mind you, but they were evident in large numbers. They are, however, the exception.

Normally, I agree with you. Normally. It's the exception, like that mentioned above, that blights the pictures. :( And, sadly, I (at least) fear that this is the direction we're moving ... toward greater and greater casualness. It's what we see in our general culture today.

I agree RevNeal. Thank God that cell phones don't work on board, otherwise our "general culture" of today would surely impact the "dining room" ambiance.

Amen...What some consider "formal" or "smart casual" may be entirely

different from what others consider. If you don't believe this, just look

at your last couple of HAL cruises and I am sure, if you are a long-time

traditional cruiser, you have been shocked at what some folks show up

in on formal night. But, you know what, it never ruined my evening, no

matter what others wore. Times have changed since we took our first

cruise in May of 1973 where the first formal nite was a real "Captain's

Cocktail Party" where the Captain shook everyone's hand and they took

your picture to now, where the captain addresses you on stage and

they pass out cheap champagne or soft drinks. So, times change and

so must we, even if it is difficult for us "older" folks.:p

Are we not hoist on our own petard if we say we will break the code and wear a tux on an a ship with an all informal or casual dress code?

I know it is a mischievous question.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. It may depend upon how the Dress Code -- whatever it is -- is written. IF the Code were to be written to prohibit jacket and tie aboard ship, I would probably have to seek another Line if I'm going to have the kind of Cruise Vacation I want.

Of course ... one could look at it from the other direction. We formalists have been repeatedly beaten on when we've even just suggested that there might be any "moral" issue involved in the wearing or not wearing of proper attire. Meanwhile, there have been those who have worn pretty much what they pleased without regard for the Dress Code. If they've been free to dress down, ignoring the code, why should we also be free to dress up, ignoring the code? Goose, meet gander.

I agree RevNeal. Thank God that cell phones don't work on board, otherwise our "general culture" of today would surely impact the "dining room" ambiance.

I HATE to tell you this, but they now have cell service at sea on most (if not all) HAL ships. :(

On the Rotterdam this past Jan/Feb I was amazed to watch a man talk on his cell phone in the Crows nest while, outside, the beauty and glory of Antarctica floated by. That same man was seated at a table not too far from me. One evening, about mid-salad, he received a call. He answered his cell phone and talked on that phone for nearly 20 minutes ... loudly.

Archived