What Will You Do If Formal Nights Are Discontinued?

RevNeal

If Holland America Line discontinues all Formal Nights, you will:  

348 members have voted

1. 1. If Holland America Line discontinues all Formal Nights, you will:

• Quit HAL
    • Continue to cruise HAL and dress for Formal Night
    • Continue to cruise HAL and dress for Formal Night while also cruising other Lines
    • Dance a jig on the topless deck (wow!)
    • Start cruising HAL because of the change
    • Cruise HAL even more

On the same track as your post, I also saw that Frederick Baur, designer of the Pringles packages, was buried with some of his ashes in a Pringles can.

I just saw that on Jay Lenno, too. :D

Let me see, we either accept lower standards and be happy or we have to leave HAL and go to Crystal or Seabourn.

I guess there is also the choice of continuing to sail with HAL and perpetually longing for the good old days.

And you are assuming we are not able to afford to do that very thing ?

Please go back and reread me. I made no such assumption. I did however, tell you that I cannot afford to sail with Crystal or Seabourn.

Well, yes we can do it and are talking to our TA about booking Seabourn now for early 2009.

Fabulous plan.

I personally would prefer and would pay more for a cabin in order to receive the quality we had enjoyed.

I was told that the budget used to be $18.00 a day per person for food and now is $6.00 a day.

I have no idea. We all hear a lot of things. If HAL can feed us as well as they do for only $6 per day, I think HAL could end world hunger.

If keeping the original per day allotment would gave us back the really good food , we would be glad to pay the $18.00 a day.

The cost of living has increased by almost 70% since 1990. Are you willing to pay HAL 70% more for your cruise to get what you used to get on top of the much improved cabin accommodations and plethora of onboard options that were not available to anyone, 18 years ago?

If keeping the price of the cabin down, results in more and more cutbacks on quality, what is the point of cruising ?

We all cruise for different reasons. My cabin continues to be made up twice a day. My meals are prepared for me. Many of those meals are quite good, especially considering that they are feeding 2000 others, at the same time. I meet a lot of nice people and friendly crew members. I can sit and watch the sea for hours on end and each morning I wake up to the adventure of a different port.

That service levels may not be as crisp or as consistent as they once were is an easy trade-off for me given, I am paying about the same price as I did 18 years ago.

You end up paying more to eat at the extra pay restaurants and other items now not included in the cruise price. So do you end up paying more anyway ?

Dining at the PG is optional. I did not have that option back in the early 90's. Other than free soda, I am not aware of having to pay for anything that used to be included. Premium coffees, cell phones, DVDs and the internet were not options back in the early 90's. Have I missed something?

Mass marketing and bigger ships are the wave of the future. I am just sad that really good food and service is slower going the way of the Dodo Bird.

Well maybe not. Come back and share your Seabourn experience with all of us so some of us can live vicariously through you. I do think that much of what you seek is still out there, only it costs 70% more, in keeping with the increased cost of living.

When I am paying less per diem to cruise than I do at a Marriott Courtyard and getting my meals, service and some semblance of entertainment included, I do not complain that the experience is not as good as when I stayed at the Four Seasons.

Whatever you do, I hope that your next vacation better meets your expectations

Psychiatrist phone

Hello. Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline

If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2.

If you have multiple personalities, please press 3, 4, 5, and 6.

If you are paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace the call.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.

If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press. No one will answer.

If you are anxious, just start pressing numbers at random.

If you are phobic, don't press anything.

If you are anal retentive, please hold.

The 4 Basic Food Groups for Police Officers:

1.Glazed

2.Jelly

3.Powdered

4.Chocolate Frosted

A Long Beach Police substation is nextdoor to a Krispy Kreme! The only design flaw I noticed is there isn't a conveyor belt between the buildings. At least that KK location is a safe place to work. :D

Hardy har har ... Larry died in 1996.

Three cruise critic posters were robbing a supermarket when Copper10-8 walked into the store.

The three cruise critic posters decide to hide in three potato sacks.

Copper10-8 kicks the first bag, and the the first poster says, "meow", and Copper10-8 says, "oh, its only a cat"

He kicks the second bag, and the second poster says, "woof, woof". Copper10-8 says, "its only a dog".

He kicks the third bag, and the third poster says, "potato"

The rule being, if you don't know who the potato is, it's you?

;)

Hardy har har ... Larry died in 1996.

Three cruise critic posters were robbing a supermarket when Copper10-8 walked into the store.

The three cruise critic posters decide to hide in three potato sacks.

Copper10-8 kicks the first bag, and the the first poster says, "meow", and Copper10-8 says, "oh, its only a cat"

He kicks the second bag, and the second poster says, "woof, woof". Copper10-8 says, "its only a dog".

He kicks the third bag, and the third poster says, "potato"

So what did he do? Call CHIPS for the collar?

The rule being, if you don't know who the potato is, it's you?

;)

Indeed! :)

Which poster are YOU???? ;) THAT is the question the joke poses for each of us.

Hint ... it was originally a blonde joke.

Quasimodo, the demented bell ringer of Notre Dame, put an ad in the papers for a assistant bell ringer. One man applied for the job but he had no arms.

"How are you going to assist me?" asked Quasimodo.

"That's easy!" replied the man and he ran at the bell and banged it with his head. BONG!!!

"That's amazing!" said Quasimodo. "Could you show me that again?"

"Sure!" said the man and he ran at the bell again but he missed the swinging bell and fell out of the bell tower. A crowd huddled around the hapless man lying in the street and a police officer aka Gendarme asked, "Does anyone know who he is?"

Quasimodo came out and said...

"I DON'T KNOW HIS NAME, BUT HIS FACE SURE RINGS A BELL!"

Psychiatrist phone

Hello. Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline

If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2.

If you have multiple personalities, please press 3, 4, 5, and 6.

If you are paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace the call.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.

If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press. No one will answer.

If you are anxious, just start pressing numbers at random.

If you are phobic, don't press anything.

If you are anal retentive, please hold.

Love it:D ! Keep 'em coming.

No, we wouldn't stop sailing with HAL because of this. We very much enjoy the formal nights and they would be missed however we would either continue this on our own or would simply let it pass. Service, food, the ships, staff etc is what continues to bring us back to HAL.

It makes no difference to me. If they have formal nights, I will dress according to that. If they discontue then I will dress smart casual and not pack my dress shirts and ties. It really is no big deal.

This is my reaction also (except, as a female, I need to change the dress shirts and ties to formal dresses).

Archived