Inexpensive Binocular Suggestions

MarilynTX

Three in my party. Had two 20 year old in-great-condition self-focusing Jason binoculars. Jason no longer in business.

Bought one last pair at Wal-Mart for $29.99 so that we could all have our own and the Wal-Mart pair worked wonderfully for the intended purpose. I/we traveled one-week train cruise tour followed by the cruise on the Sapphire last week and never felt that the Wal-Mart pair was inferior.

So, if you do not intend to use frequently after Alaska, my suggestion is buy the Wal-Mart binoculars.

Needless to say, this will be the unpopular choice by the binocular oficianados.

NIKON TRAVELITE V 8X25 BINOCULARS

If you really want lightweight binoculars I would suggest the Nikon Travelite series 8X25. I have used the 7X25 on a Hawaiin cruise that I bought many many years ago and they worked out just fine and still work like new. The field of vision isn't really wide, but I do believe it's wide enough to see what you want to. They are light enough not to cause any fatique.

I decided against the 9X25, 10X25 and 12X25 because the field of vision gets narrower and at the 10 and above there is more shake.

I'm not a binocular expert, but these certainly seem to provide clarity and brightness and they are so light I will actually have them out and available. They are not waterproof, but was assured that if they are out for a few minutes when it is cold fogging shouldn't be a major issue.

Nikon also gives you a wonderful waranty. I'll be using these on my upcoming June cruise and will let you know how they worked out. I think I paid about $75 on amazon.

We are cruising on the NCL Star 8/9/08. I would love recommendations for small binoculars below $200. Thanks in advance.

Hard to answer that one. If you over (deleted) as I am, they all shake about the same. Either that or an earthquake happens whenever I look through them. I am afraid to point them at anything. It might just shake down.

We are cruising on the NCL Star 8/9/08. I would love recommendations for small binoculars below $200. Thanks in advance.

I bought a pair of Nikon Action EX 10X50 Waterproof/Fogproof from Academy Sporting Goods (in Texas) for our trip to AK. They worked great, and I was happy with them. They were less than $175 total.

Good Cruising,

Barry

they are two different styles: roofprism for vista and Porro for action extreme. I have tried both and actually bought vista 8x42 as my backup binoculars. I will say both are good binoculars for the money's worth. Action extreme is litter heavier (6oz more), which is the case for all Porro bincoulars. It is really up to individual preference. Here is one review from fellow cruiser. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=621685

Yes, it is the shape of the binoculars, which is related to design. Roofprism has more streamlined body design, therefore, lighter in weight. My DW has a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42. It is much brighter and sharper than action extreme. But it is significantly more expensive too.

Hmmmm. I've read on "binocular sites" that you get more quality for the same dollar with "porro"; that you need to spend more to get the same quality from "roofprism."

That would indicate that the Nikons are better value.

Between Nikon Monarch and Action Extreme, I would go with Monarch without hesitation. It is true that Porro design will be less expensive between two if quality is the SAME. But Monarch roofprism excels Action extreme by many aspects: 6ft close focus vs 16 ft for AE; much better off axis image sharpness. Those are the features important to birders like myself.

I just bought and used on the last cruise a set of Nikon Action 8x40 Ultra Wide View which give a great field of vision. I bought them on line and paid $58 and got free shipping.:) They are GREAT.

giangf2, I am not considering the monarch. I'm just not willing to spend that much. I'm not a birder, so these are pretty much just for the cruise.

For me, as I said above, it was between the nikon action extreme (exact model mentioned above - I forget) and the zen-ray vista.

giangf2, I am not considering the monarch. I'm just not willing to spend that much. I'm not a birder, so these are pretty much just for the cruise.

For me, as I said above, it was between the nikon action extreme (exact model mentioned above - I forget) and the zen-ray vista.

ah.. I see. I misunderstood your last post. Yes, it is hard to justify spending $300 on a pair of binoculars if you just use it for this trip. We have amortized our cost over many weekends' outings. :)

I believe you will be happy with either one: both are waterproof and have great optics clarity. Action Extreme is about $120 vs Vista slightly under $100. There is a difference between Action extreme and Nikon Action (for about $70). The latter one is not waterproof and may cause internal fogging. So, Action Extreme will be a wise choice if you prefer Porro binoculars. Happy cruising.

I know it's all personal preference, but which of the two Vista 8x42 or Nikon AE 8x40, do you prefer overall? I don't think I care which style - just want the "best" one, considering all things. Even weight, which I understand is slightly less on Vista.

thanks in advance!

I know absolutely nothing about binoculars but my husband bought a really nice pair that is rugged and waterproof from overstock.com for less than $100.00. they have all kinds and all price ranges.

From a review on Amazon.com. I guess the old rule of be careful of what you buy and you get what you pay for is true.

In a local sports store I saw a Brunton Lite Tech 10x42 binocular, which seemed to be quite good, but at over $200 it is something to think about a little bit. So, I looked on the web and on Amazon I found this Brunton 10x42 Lite Tech for about $80, offered via Sportsman's Guide. Wow what a price difference! Indeed as they claim: HUGE savings. The picture on the site looked a little bit different from the picture I saw on other places. So, It must be last years model. So what? As long as the optics is just as good I don't care! Let's have it!

And so, a box came in with a Brunton Binocular. When I looked through it I noticed directly that the optics was not all that good. Major internal (ghost) reflections, big color error, the image also never became truly sharp. Remarkably the same errors occurred on both sides, so this was not just a production error, this was just a poorly made Binocular. This Binocular was also quite heavy. The only thing I can say to its advantage is that the rubber armoring looks and feels very sturdy. By the way this product does not exactly look like the picture on the Amanzon website either, you do get the right picture when you go to the Sortsman's Guide website outside of Amazon.

But what went wrong? The Binocular in the store looked pretty nice and I did order the same thing, or at least something very similar. Did I?

So I looked further. Hey, the model number of the Binocular that came in via Sortsman's Guide is 5034 the model I saw , and which every one else is advertising is 5030. Hey that one is made in Japan, the Sportsman's one is made in China. Aaaah, it is a completely different product, from a completely different factory!

So, I contacted Brunton. They explained that the Sportsman's Guide binoculars are made on special order (no excess inventory as claimed) and that these are not part of their regular product line. They were nice though, I could send this binocular to them and for an additional payment they sent me a proper one. That is a model 5030, and yes that one is very nice, thank you very much.

So, beware. The product advertised here is NOT the Brunton Lite Tech 10x42 binocular model number 5030, which is quite good, made in Japan, worth $200, and advertised at many places on the web, also at other places at Amazon. The product they are selling here is the Brunton Lite Tech 10x42 binocular model number 5034 which nobody has heard of, made in China, probably not even worth $80.

Quite frankly I find it misleading how this product is being advertised here. Without this review would know that there are two products out there with the same name?

Hope it helps you.

Have a great next cruise.

I ordered these and they are better and more powerful than pairs I paid alot more $$ for.

http://www.1050binoculars.com/?tid=3334&gclid=CP6VhOSo4ZMCFRJPxgod1VCGVQ

They are $29.99 for the 1050 but spend the extra $10.00 and get the 2050. You can watch the Video and make your own decision. So far they are great but not sure if they will fog in cold weather and the duribility. But for that price they are disposible after the 2 weeks at sea.

I ordered these and they are better and more powerful than pairs I paid alot more $$ for.

http://www.1050binoculars.com/?tid=3334&gclid=CP6VhOSo4ZMCFRJPxgod1VCGVQ

They are $29.99 for the 1050 but spend the extra $10.00 and get the 2050. You can watch the Video and make your own decision. So far they are great but not sure if they will fog in cold weather and the duribility. But for that price they are disposible after the 2 weeks at sea.

I just browsed their website. It is full of holes: 1000x magnification power??!! Viewing up to 35 miles?! I just used my Bushnell Elite2 to watch the Moon the other night and enjoyed the craters very much. Should Bushnell claim viewing up to two hundred thousands miles? After watching the video, I am apalled by the strong reflection off the glasses, which means less light into the glass. If you browse ebay, there will be tons of those binoculars there for much less.

So, I contacted Brunton. They explained that the Sportsman's Guide binoculars are made on special order (no excess inventory as claimed) and that these are not part of their regular product line. They were nice though, I could send this binocular to them and for an additional payment they sent me a proper one. That is a model 5030, and yes that one is very nice, thank you very much.

I am scratching my head, wondering why Brunton does that. I did purchase some of their camping gears years back. They were quite good.

Archived