Inexpensive Binocular Suggestions

MarilynTX

We bought two pairs of refurbished Vista 8x42 for less than $160 total. We are very happy with them. The service was great and binoculars were delivered in 3 days even with their FREE shipping option. The binoculars are way better than the 7x50 my husband bought many years ago. I know, I could buy a better summit binoculars. But we both want a pair without spending too much. This worked out perfectly for us. Thank everyone on this board for suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
We bought two pairs of refurbished Vista 8x42 for less than $160 total. We are very happy with them. The service was great and binoculars were delivered in 3 days even with their FREE shipping option. The binoculars are way better than the 7x50 my husband bought many years ago. I know, I could buy a better summit binoculars. But we both want a pair without spending too much. This worked out perfectly for us. Thank everyone on this board for suggestion.

I also just ordered a pair of refurbished based on these boards I think this will be the best for the buck. Thanks!

Knittinggal, with the current deal they're offering, you could've spent even less for non-refurbished. Did you just order? I think this is the link:

http://store.zen-ray.com/

Knittinggal..I agree with Buttah...I'm also ordering the Zen Ray's..

Check out the thread where I asked about Binoculars also advertised by Sportsman's Guide..Many people posted to this thread & my final decision based on what everyone said was one pair of the Zen Ray's 8 X 42 & one pair 10 X 42...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=789940

Good luck in your quest for a smaller less expensive model..:) Betty

Knittinggal, with the current deal they're offering, you could've spent even less for non-refurbished. Did you just order? I think this is the link:

http://store.zen-ray.com/

Buttah75, thank you for the information. I ordered one pair first and really liked it and wanted a second pair so we can both have our own. The next couple of months seem like so far away. We really cannot wait.

Now I'm thinking of getting 2 more pair, since there are four of us!

Can someone advise me what would best compliment the 2 8x42's I've already purchased?

Should I go up to 10x or down to something more compact? Or should I purchase 2 that are wide angle? 8x42 is not wide angle, correct?

I'd like to spend the same or less on the second two. Thanks.

Ordered the Zen-Ray's late Tues. night & they arrived at our Friends house this A.M..Was going to give them to DH for our Anniversary which is end of July...Instead decided it will be a late Birthday present for him (June 15)..LOL...Can't wait to try them myself.....I'm like a kid in a candy shop...Probably give DH 10 X 42 & I'll keep 8 X 42...Thanks everyone for your help..

Cheers..:) Betty.

I also have a pair of Nikon Travellite 8x25 binoculars that I used on our recent Alaskan cruise that I bought years ago at a local camera shop for 99 USD. I can easily put them in the same camera bag I use for either of my two Canon Powershot S series digital cameras (S3 IS and S5 IS). I also used a pair of Bushnell 10x50 binoculars on the cruise. I bought those binoculars for about 40 USD a few years ago on Amazon.

Both pairs worked fine for me although I think my Bushnell binoculars have somewhat longer eye relief than my Nikons.

NIKON TRAVELITE V 8X25 BINOCULARS

If you really want lightweight binoculars I would suggest the Nikon Travelite series 8X25. I have used the 7X25 on a Hawaiin cruise that I bought many many years ago and they worked out just fine and still work like new. The field of vision isn't really wide, but I do believe it's wide enough to see what you want to. They are light enough not to cause any fatique.

I decided against the 9X25, 10X25 and 12X25 because the field of vision gets narrower and at the 10 and above there is more shake.

I'm not a binocular expert, but these certainly seem to provide clarity and brightness and they are so light I will actually have them out and available. They are not waterproof, but was assured that if they are out for a few minutes when it is cold fogging shouldn't be a major issue.

Nikon also gives you a wonderful waranty. I'll be using these on my upcoming June cruise and will let you know how they worked out. I think I paid about $75 on amazon.

Gave DH the Zen-Rays today (a belated Birthday gift) & he thought I was nuts for buying them.. He figured we already have a good pair & we don't need two more pairs...:(

I then pointed out that our good pair is heavy (over 3 lbs) & I can't use them with glasses...These only weigh 23 oz...

He finally stopped grousing & carefully checked them out ...;) Now he agrees they were a good deal for $143.40 for both & we're both happy!;)

Cheers..:) :) Betty

Gave DH the Zen-Rays today (a belated Birthday gift) & he thought I was nuts for buying them.. He figured we already have a good pair & we don't need two more pairs...:(

I then pointed out that our good pair is heavy (over 3 lbs) & I can't use them with glasses...These only weigh 23 oz...

He finally stopped grousing & carefully checked them out ...;) Now he agrees they were a good deal for $143.40 for both & we're both happy!;)

Cheers..:) :) Betty

Hi Betty, just wanted to ask your opinion on this. i already have zen-rays 8x42 and want to get another pair for my family. don't know if i should get another 8x42 or 10x42. do you like having the two different strengths? would you recommend it?

thanks, ellen

Archived